AHA2940 !can't find hosts!

Post by Park Ha » Fri, 07 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I have spent almost 20 hours now trying to boot with the linux
installation boot disks, like, all of them.  I have tried every kind of
slackware 2940 boot disk, and every kind of Red Hat 2940 boot disk, and
none of them can find my mass storage devices attached to my Adaptec
AHA-2940 SCSI controller (I have a 2GB DEC HD and a Toshiba SCSI
CD-ROM).  During boot I get a
Unknown PCI device ....
error, which is almost certainly the 2940 (it possibly could be the
Diamond 32 PCI Video card).
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Park Hays

AHA2940 !can't find hosts!

Post by SuperUs » Thu, 13 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>I have spent almost 20 hours now trying to boot with the linux
>installation boot disks, like, all of them.  I have tried every kind of
>slackware 2940 boot disk, and every kind of Red Hat 2940 boot disk, and
>none of them can find my mass storage devices attached to my Adaptec
>AHA-2940 SCSI controller (I have a 2GB DEC HD and a Toshiba SCSI
>CD-ROM).  During boot I get a
>Unknown PCI device ....
>error, which is almost certainly the 2940 (it possibly could be the
>Diamond 32 PCI Video card).
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>Park Hays

The kernel you are attempting to load does not recognze the AHA2940.
I would assume that you are attempting to load 1.2.13.
Look at the numbers that are being printed with the Unknown PCI device.
You may have something like Vendor ID = 1 PCI_Device_ID = 8178.

It would hep to know what the numbers are in your case. To determine
which device it is not recognizing.

Terry L. Ridder

1. Help: term error, 'host not found, non-authoritative'

Hello netters,

I have the following error message in term 2.3.5.

": gethostbyname: Benjamin: Non-authoritative `host not found',
or server failed
Term: Failed to connect to term socket '/home/woo/.term/socket"

Thank you very much.

- Mike Woo

2. /dev/ptmx problem

3. It's not bad canned meat...

4. X11R6 and fonts

5. fix drm ioctl ABI default

6. iptables host/network 'isp.mail.server' not found

7. RSA

8. Term Error:'host not found' or server failed

9. Question on 'who'; finding source host

10. 'Find' 'Updatedb' or find database replacement for Solaris 2.X?

11. Can't ping the host name or host IP address from host.

12. can't ping host or host IP from host ?