Still problems

Post by Don Leg » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am trying to install Mandrake 6.0 into my computer. It had 1 partition
with dos, 28 megs memory, and a 2 speed propriatary cd rom.  I can not get
linus to find the cd.  is there a driver that I have to put in so that it
will find it so I can run the cd to do the install??

I replaced the cd with an ide drive, and now it will just sit at "running
install" and goes no further

Please Help
Newbie to Linux
Thanx

Don

Still problems

Post by Stanislaw Flatt » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I am trying to install Mandrake 6.0 into my computer. It had 1 partition
> with dos, 28 megs memory, and a 2 speed propriatary cd rom.  I can not get
> linus to find the cd.  is there a driver that I have to put in so that it
> will find it so I can run the cd to do the install??

> I replaced the cd with an ide drive, and now it will just sit at "running
> install" and goes no further

> Please Help
> Newbie to Linux
> Thanx

> Don

Welcome Don!
If my memory serves, Mandrake is compiled to utilise hardware from
Pentium and up.
If your computer uses CPU which does not comply with those - bad luck!!
Other distributions run, at least the installation part, with kernels
compiled for i386 and higher CPU's. You install on anything from 386 up
and later compile for yourself a kernel to use the super-duper CPU that
sits in your box.
So get a real distro.(notice I don't mention names)
--
**Stanislaw & Slack 7.0 team**
Registered Linux User No 162760

Still problems

Post by Stanislaw Flatt » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I am trying to install Mandrake 6.0 into my computer. It had 1 partition
> with dos, 28 megs memory, and a 2 speed propriatary cd rom.  I can not get
> linus to find the cd.  is there a driver that I have to put in so that it
> will find it so I can run the cd to do the install??

> I replaced the cd with an ide drive, and now it will just sit at "running
> install" and goes no further

> Please Help
> Newbie to Linux
> Thanx

> Don

Welcome Don!
If my memory serves, Mandrake is compiled to utilise hardware from
Pentium and up.
If your computer uses CPU which does not comply with those - bad luck!!
Other distributions run, at least the installation part, with kernels
compiled for i386 and higher CPU's. You install on anything from 386 up
and later compile for yourself a kernel to use the super-duper CPU that
sits in your box.
So get a real distro.(notice I don't mention names)
--
**Stanislaw & Slack 7.0 team**
Registered Linux User No 162760
*******  How about You? *******

1. Capture stills from JVC Video camera

My video camera has connectors (e.g. USB) to enable a computer to
receive still images from the camcorder. Assuming that somebody,
somewhere, has written appropriate software
what special hardware if any is needed?

Is there in fact a Linux application program to receive video stills
through an USB port?

All replies appreciated

John Culleton

2. howto kill a process in state D?

3. Sony camera download stills...

4. Virtual Servers Low Cost T3

5. problems, problems, 37.5 GB, problems, 1024, problems...

6. Help an NT person please

7. Installation problems, problems, problems!

8. Help: Problem with High packet errors.

9. PPP stands for Problem Problem Problem

10. Problems... problems ... more problems

11. Problems, Problems, Problems

12. Problem problem problem

13. Linux died...problems, problems, problems....