Help! Compaq ProSignia VS & Red Hat Linux 5.0

Help! Compaq ProSignia VS & Red Hat Linux 5.0

Post by Jeff Szuha » Sun, 26 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I am trying to install Red Hat 5.0 on a
Compaq ProSignia VS that I've picked
up. This machine has the SCSI controller
on the motherboard and seems to be
proprietary.

I can get the boot/installer process to recognize
the SCSI controller.

This machine has 2 2GB drives and a CD-ROM
which appear upon powerup and in MS-DOS.

How can I tell which chipset/drivers to user?

What parameters do I use to configure a particular
driver (say sbcd, if that will work)?

Has anybody gotten Linux to run on a ProSignia at all?
(any version of linux).

Thanks in advance.

Jeff Szuhay
Oakmont, PA

Post by Forman, Andrew B » Thu, 30 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 21:25:08 -0400

> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.setup, comp.os.linux.hardware
> Subject: Help! Compaq ProSignia VS & Red Hat Linux 5.0

> I am trying to install Red Hat 5.0 on a
> Compaq ProSignia VS that I've picked
> up. This machine has the SCSI controller
> on the motherboard and seems to be
> proprietary.

> I can get the boot/installer process to recognize
> the SCSI controller.

That's great!  I could never get the integrated scsi to be recognized and
had to purchase an isa scsi card.

Quote:> How can I tell which chipset/drivers to user?

Where I got much of my information was from the online system descriptions
at compaq.com and from the compaq server setup utility. (if you don't have
it you can download it from compaq)  I had to fight with it a bit, but if
you hit ctrl-a in the startup screen it will give you access to "advanced"
options.

Quote:> Has anybody gotten Linux to run on a ProSignia at all?
> (any version of linux).

Well, I'm still working on mine.  But I hear it _is_ possible. =)

> Thanks in advance.

> Jeff Szuhay
> Oakmont, PA

_|_      Andrew B Forman     _|_

 |       know God's love      |

Post by must.. » Tue, 05 May 1998 04:00:00

: I am trying to install Red Hat 5.0 on a
: Compaq ProSignia VS that I've picked
: up. This machine has the SCSI controller
: on the motherboard and seems to be
: proprietary.
: I can get the boot/installer process to recognize
: the SCSI controller.

Wow! How? My VS has an EISA-controlled NCR 53c710 implementation on it -
the boot disk seems to ignore it.

: This machine has 2 2GB drives and a CD-ROM
: which appear upon powerup and in MS-DOS.
: How can I tell which chipset/drivers to user?
: What parameters do I use to configure a particular
: driver (say sbcd, if that will work)?

Mine's only got a 500MB DEC DSP-series disk. The CDROM's probably a
Panasonic/Matsushita CR503B... I co-incidentally happened across one of
these before I got the VS, and its got Compaq firmware... so I expect
since they're of the same vintage, that's probably the most likely
suspect.
Hence, you've got 2 SCSI disks and a SCSI CDROM.

The Linux 53c(710|810) driver should work, but I haven't made a kernel to
try booting it from yet, as I got fairly discouraged after the Red Hat
installs wouldn't work.

: Has anybody gotten Linux to run on a ProSignia at all?
: (any version of linux).

Not yet - let me know (or the NG) or any breakthroughs, I'll do the same.

Cheers
/dave
--
i-------------------------------------------------------------------------i
|  David Manchester | [TDH] |  Jaded Netware Admin and Workstation Bigot  |

1. New to Linux - COMPAQ Prosignia - PANIC installing Linux Red Hat 5.0

Hi all !
I have a hard hardware problem.
On my Compaq Prosignia server I have the following hardware configuration:
Compaq Fast Wide SCSI-2 embedded controller
Adaptec 1520B ISA/EISA controller
1 hard-disks 2.01 GB attached to Adaptec controller
Compaq SCSI CD-ROM attached to Adaptec controller
Because Compaq controller doesn't recognise HD greater than 1.05 GB I have
had to install the system with the HD attached to the Adaptec controller. I
have succesfully installed Linux but the system doesn't boot.
Unfortunately I haven't any Compaq compatible .CFG file for configuring
Adaptec controller into Compaq BIOS and it seems that this may be the cause
why Linux doesn't boot. Before beginning  installation I added the Adaptec
controller manually creating a .CFG file through System Configuration but
there is no option in Compaq System Configuration to make it as "First".
This option is available for the Compaq integrated controller which I made
it "Second". So, after installing Linux I have had to move the HD back on
the Compaq controller to make it boot. And even if now Linux can boot when
it tries to mount the root FS it looks for aha152x adapter and displays a
PANIC message:
/* beginning of messages */
VFS:Mounted root (ext2 filesystem)
/lib/aha152x.o: symbol for parameter not found
VFS: Cannot open root device 08:01

How can I deal with this problem ?
How can I make the HD bootable using this configuraton ?
Is there possible to install using the Compaq controller wtih both devices
(HD+CD)?

If somebody can help me I would great appreciate it. It's so urgent !
Thanks in advance.
Viorel Tabara

2. Solaris 8 minimal Installation?

3. modules_install depmod problem

4. rc= in cron log

5. ProSignia VS: NCR 53c710 : Red Hat 5.0 : Is ANYBODY running this?

6. installation problems on a large hard disk

7. Red Hat 5.0 vs. Red Hat 5.1

8. Can't install Red Hat 7.1 on a compaq Prosignia 300 24M

9. Red Hat Linux for $50 at RedHat.Com vs. Red Hat from LSL

10. Red Hat 5.1 on Prosignia VS with NCR-53C710 SCSI

11. 256 colors with SCO Open Server 5.0 & Compaq Prosignia