Please Help Newbie with Realtek 8029 NIC setup

Please Help Newbie with Realtek 8029 NIC setup

Post by Scott Fournie » Thu, 18 Jan 2001 12:52:42

I do not believe that my RH 7.0 recognized my NIC card.  I am using a
Realtek RTL8029 (AS) PCI ethernet NIC on my computer to tie into a Cable
Modem.  I have my system configured to use gnome and am unsure of what I
need to do next.  I am not sure how to find out if the card is being
recognized and I do not know it and I am also unsure of how to get the OS to
recognize the card if it is not found (such as building kernals etc.)  In
the ethernet HOW-TO It says that the card is support under Linux, but I am
pretty confused about this point.  I have only been running LINUX for two
days now and just today I got the GUI to work properly (this is a major
accomplishment for me).  Any help that I may get would be greatly
appreciated.

--
Scott Fournier

Please Help Newbie with Realtek 8029 NIC setup

Post by Linux Use » Thu, 18 Jan 2001 14:46:48

Hello,

The driver for your card is ne2k-pci. This card is listed with a question
mark on the RH 7.0 compatability list.

You can look in /var/log/messages and see if the driver has attempted too
load. It will display any error messages also if the the load failed. You
can view this using the System Log Monitor, in Gnome it is under the
Programs/System menu. To view it from the console use: less
/var/log/messages. up/down arrows to scroll, hit q to exit. You will have
to be logged in as root to view this file. Post any error messages you see
back to this newsgroup.

If you don't see any entries for your network card.  Open the file
/etc/modules.conf. Find it in the Gnome file manager, right click, then
choose edit. Look for the line:

alias eth0 ne2k-pci

If it isnt there add it. This will allow the module to load on boot. Don't
forget to save your changes. Open a console window. In it type:

modprobe ne2k-pci

This will attempt to load the module for your card. It will display any
errors that occur.

To see what modules are loaded from a console window type:

/sbin/lsmod

To see what pci devices are detected on your system type:

/sbin/lspci -v

Cheers,
        Jim H

Post by Linux Use » Thu, 18 Jan 2001 14:59:48

[...]

modprobe eth0

This will attempt to load the module for your card. It will display any
errors that occur.

To see what modules are loaded from a console window type:

/sbin/lsmod

To see what pci devices are detected on your system type:

/sbin/lspci -v

Cheers,
        Jim H

> I do not believe that my RH 7.0 recognized my NIC card.  I am using a
> Realtek RTL8029 (AS) PCI ethernet NIC on my computer to tie into a Cable
> Modem.  I have my system configured to use gnome and am unsure of what I
> need to do next.  I am not sure how to find out if the card is being
> recognized and I do not know it and I am also unsure of how to get the OS
> recognize the card if it is not found (such as building kernals etc.)  In
> the ethernet HOW-TO It says that the card is support under Linux, but I am
> pretty confused about this point.  I have only been running LINUX for two
> days now and just today I got the GUI to work properly (this is a major
> accomplishment for me).  Any help that I may get would be greatly
> appreciated.

> --
> Scott Fournier

Please Help Newbie with Realtek 8029 NIC setup

Post by muppe » Thu, 18 Jan 2001 19:28:41

Quote:> The driver for your card is ne2k-pci. This card is listed with a question
> mark on the RH 7.0 compatability list.

It's an "NE 2000 compatible" network card (if you're looking through the
options in the kernel configuration). This builds the ne2k-pci module (if
you set "module" rather than builtin).

This or "tulip" seems to be a good guess if you don't know the chipset, or
have a generic unbadged network card.

1. Please HELP : Weird symptom with a Realtek RTL-8029 NIC

Hi,

Recently I bought myself this  new PCI  NE2000 compatible NIC.
Whenever I cold boot my linux box (Pentium 90 Mhz, using SuSE 7.0), the
system does not
seem to probe the card. In my boot logs I found some of the following lines
:

:
PCI : PCI BIOS revision 2.00 entry at 0xfc0b0, last bus = 0
PCI : Using configuration type 1
PCI : Probing PCI hardware
PCI : Unable to handle 64-bit address for device 00:00
PCI : Unable to handle 64-bit address for device 00:00
PCI : Unable to handle 64-bit address for device 00:00
:
:
ne2k-pci.c : PCI NE2000 clone Realtek RTL-8029 at I/O 0x16000, IRQ 10.
ne2k-pci.c : Probe of PCI card at 0x16000 failed.
ne2k-pci.c : No useable cards found, driver not installed.
:

Shutting the system down and restarting (without a cold boot) probes the
card successfully at
IO 0x6000, IRQ 10. Only by a cold reboot the card is not detected. Entering
the module parameters
io=0x6000 irq=10 did not help me much further either.

If someone has experience with that kind of problem, please let me know the
cure.

THX, Ronny

2. Trouble setting up modem. Cannot connect to net from Linux

3. Realtek 8029 nic not working...

4. IP: limitations and alternatives

5. realtek 8029 10mbit pci nic ?

6. S3Virge - XFree86 - vertical stripes and deadlock

7. Realtek 8029 setup problem

8. Brave, confident or just plain stupid?

9. Realtek 8029 !!! HELP ME !

10. Help: RealTek 8029 and dual ethernet boards

11. Help with PCI Realtek 8029 network card

12. HELP: eth0:* with RealTek RTL-8029 (PCI-ne2000 compatible)??????

13. How configure Ethernet Card Realtek 8029? [RH7.2]