How do you install Doom???

Post by David Orlo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi, I have mastered about everything in Linux except how to get Doom
working.
(Or any game for that fact.)  How do you setup these configuration
files?  They are so long!!!  Unless you spend all day at it, there is no
way you would ever get all of the details right (if you just pico the
file and edit it by hand).
I don't know if this is similar to the kernal at all.  I finally
modified my kernal a couple of days ago for the first time.  And that
was easier than I thought.  All I did was go to the source folder and
then I typed something like make menuconfig and then it just gave me
this very long menu with different modules I could enable or disable and
then I saved it and then compiled about 5 or so different files with the
make command.
Is it similar how you do the Doom setup files?
Could someone just put a sample file in.
I have a pretty plain computer.

ATI rage 128 agp card
sound blaster live sound
logitech mouse

I am not sure what else hardware would be relevant to the configuration
of a game.

Any suggestions?
David

How do you install Doom???

Post by Richard Watso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hi, I have mastered about everything in Linux except how to get Doom
> working.
> (Or any game for that fact.)  How do you setup these configuration
> files?  They are so long!!!  Unless you spend all day at it, there is no
> way you would ever get all of the details right (if you just pico the
> file and edit it by hand).
> I don't know if this is similar to the kernal at all.  I finally
> modified my kernal a couple of days ago for the first time.  And that
> was easier than I thought.  All I did was go to the source folder and
> then I typed something like make menuconfig and then it just gave me
> this very long menu with different modules I could enable or disable and
> then I saved it and then compiled about 5 or so different files with the
> make command.
> Is it similar how you do the Doom setup files?
> Could someone just put a sample file in.
> I have a pretty plain computer.

Just get hold of this:

doom-1.10-7.i386.rpm

do

rpm -Uvh doom-1.10.7.i386.rpm

and then in a virtual terminal (Press CTRL-ATL-F1)

doom

--

Pentagon Web Design Ltd                         ICQ:   65274884

How do you install Doom???

Post by J Bla » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>Is it similar how you do the Doom setup files?
>Could someone just put a sample file in.
>I have a pretty plain computer.

Erm, it isn't that hard.

Go to freshmeat and look for lxdoom. Grab the source tarball for it.

Decompress it with

tar xvzf filename

cd lxdoom
../configure
make
make install (this last as root)

then get your wad files (you do have at least the WADs, right?) and put them
in /usr/local/share/games/doom/  as doom1.wad and/or doom2.wad

run lxdoom to play in X, lsdoom to play on the console (you may need to be
root to do this and modify /etc/vga/libvga.config if your mouse is too
fast).

If you're having problems with other games take a look on
http://www.linuxgames.com/   as they have a number of FAQs and guides.

Professor John Frink