floppy drive setup (Newbie needs help, help!!)

floppy drive setup (Newbie needs help, help!!)

Post by Jiawe » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi everyone,

I am trying to setup the floppy drive for Linux(Slackware 3.1.27)
I used the "mount" command to mount the floppy

i.e.     mount /dev/fd0 /mnt

but the floppy still not really working.

if anyone knows how to set this up, please help me.

Thank you so much,

jw

Post by Roy Stogn » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>Hi everyone,

>I am trying to setup the floppy drive for Linux(Slackware 3.1.27)
>I used the "mount" command to mount the floppy

>i.e.     mount /dev/fd0 /mnt

"mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt"
"man mtools"
---
Roy Stogner

floppy drive setup (Newbie needs help, help!!)

Post by Tom Gravgaard Christens » Sat, 10 Jan 1998 04:00:00

On Thu, 08 Jan 1998 00:19:43 -0500, Jiawei

>Hi everyone,

>I am trying to setup the floppy drive for Linux(Slackware 3.1.27)

                                                            ^^^^^
                                                                ?
Quote:>I used the "mount" command to mount the floppy

>i.e.     mount /dev/fd0 /mnt

that should be: mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt
But if you're only going to access msdos formatted disks, you might as
well use the mtools.
just do:  man mtools
--
Tom G. Christensen, Denmark
tom dot christensen at get2net dot dk

Post by M. Buchenried » Tue, 13 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>Hi everyone,
>I am trying to setup the floppy drive for Linux(Slackware 3.1.27)
>I used the "mount" command to mount the floppy

What kind of filesystem is on that floppy ?

Quote:>i.e.     mount /dev/fd0 /mnt

Unless you do have a line in your /etc/fstab mentioning the FS type
of floppies to be mounted, this will not work. If it's a MS-DOS
floppy, try

mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt

Quote:>but the floppy still not really working.

Michael

Satellite Safety Tip #4:
                If you see a bright streak in the sky coming at you, duck.

1. Newbie needs help: Linux boots only from floppy drive

Hello Linux Experts !
I am a bloody Linux newbie coming from Win95. I installed the Suse distribution
on my second hard drive, seems to be successful. During the installation I was
asked to create a linux boot diskette, so I did. At some other point of the
installation I was asked to write into the master boot record, and so I did.
That was my fault, it over wrote the boot sector of Win95 on the C: drive !

 After that point, boot from the hard drive was not possible. I installed the
PTS boot manager and could install the Win95 system again. That's fine, no data
are lost. But even the boot manager does not recognize the linux system, maybe
because the linux installation wrote its boot record to the wrong hard drive.

 Now I am about to reinstall the Linux system, but don't want to walk into the
same trap again. What can I do safely ? My disks are:

HD 0: Windows drive C:
HD 1: Windows drive D: on one partition
        Linux on the other partition

Booting from the floppy disk works alright, I installed user root and two other
users, basic commands like ls and cd work, Yast can be called.

Any help is appreciated.
Regards, Eggert

2. TSC register in NSC's Geode GXlv

3. newbie needs help mounting an LS-120 floppy drive (and more) to REDHAT 4.1

4. Help please

5. newbie needs help with drive setup

6. Uneven CPU scheduling with different nice levels

7. Older floppy drive setup HELP

8. root changing user passwd with yppasswd?

9. <help>Linux newbies need help with CD and soundcard<help>

10. Help, Newbie: accessing floppy drive

11. Linux Newbie needs help in Backing up Linux system to floppies !