pentium 75 and 40 GB Harddrive

Post by Scott Senffne » Tue, 24 Jul 2001 05:46:25

Hello all,

I am a new to linux.  I just download redhat 6.2 from the redhat ftp site
and was getting ready to install it.  I made the boot disk as instructed by
the "Linux Unleashed fourth edition" Book and was trying to boot the machine
but it came up with boot failure.  I have a pentium 75 mhz computer with a
new 40 gb harddrive and cannot get it to boot properly.  I was wondering if
i am doing something wrong.

Can anyone help me?

Scott

pentium 75 and 40 GB Harddrive

Post by mat he » Tue, 24 Jul 2001 23:26:02

Be more specific about the error you have, copy it down word for word.

Does your system BIOS recognize your drive, my P75s sure don't.  Mine
only recognizes up to 2Gig.?

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001 20:46:25 GMT, "Scott Senffner"

>Hello all,

>I am a new to linux.  I just download redhat 6.2 from the redhat ftp site
>and was getting ready to install it.  I made the boot disk as instructed by
>the "Linux Unleashed fourth edition" Book and was trying to boot the machine
>but it came up with boot failure.  I have a pentium 75 mhz computer with a
>new 40 gb harddrive and cannot get it to boot properly.  I was wondering if
>i am doing something wrong.

>Can anyone help me?

>Scott

pentium 75 and 40 GB Harddrive

Post by AG » Tue, 24 Jul 2001 11:34:00

Quote:> Hello all,

> I am a new to linux.  I just download redhat 6.2 from the redhat ftp site
> and was getting ready to install it.  I made the boot disk as instructed
by
> the "Linux Unleashed fourth edition" Book and was trying to boot the
machine
> but it came up with boot failure.  I have a pentium 75 mhz computer with a
> new 40 gb harddrive and cannot get it to boot properly.  I was wondering
if
> i am doing something wrong.

> Can anyone help me?

> Scott

From a hardware point of view, not a Linux guru point of view.
That motherboard may not recognize that HD.  It is almost certainly too big
for the BIOS.  When that chip was made a big HD was 800 megs and if you were
lucky you had a whole gig.
You may need to use the manufacturer's install disk or even a controller
card to get it to work properly.
Can you get it to boot and see it with a Windows boot disk?
There are many different types available from www.bootdisk.com  .
AG

Post by Robert Berr » Wed, 25 Jul 2001 13:01:00

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001 20:46:25 GMT, "Scott Senffner"

>I am a new to linux.  I just download redhat 6.2 from the redhat ftp site
>and was getting ready to install it.  I made the boot disk as instructed by
>the "Linux Unleashed fourth edition" Book and was trying to boot the machine
>but it came up with boot failure.  I have a pentium 75 mhz computer with a
>new 40 gb harddrive and cannot get it to boot properly.  I was wondering if
>i am doing something wrong.

Without more details, it's hard to be of much help.

My newsserver at home is a P100 with a 30GB hard drive.  The BIOS only
needs to recognize enough of the disk to get Linux up and running.  I
set things up like so:
        hda1 -> /boot (10MB)
        hda2 -> / (10GB)
        hda3 -> SWAP (128MB)
        hda4 -> /usr (19GB)

I installed RedHat 6.2 without incident.  IIRC it *was* important the
the /boot partition be first so that the bootloader could find the OS.

It's been quite a while, but I think the BIOS reported the drive as
being 2GB - but that hasn't been a problem.

HTH,
Bob

pentium 75 and 40 GB Harddrive

Post by Scott Senffne » Fri, 27 Jul 2001 18:29:23

Ok my Bios is a PhoenixBIOS Version 4.04
SI54P AIO V 1.3

Support Dos Enhanced IDE mode 3 transfer flow function (c) Copy Rights
reserved v 1.20

Here is the error message:
Ide Drive 4 not support PIO mode 3 transfer.
Syslinux 1.45 1999-06-14 boot failed.

1. Upgrade Cyrix 486-40 to Pentium 75

Is it possible, on a motherboard designed for a 486, to replace a Cyrix
486-40 with a Pentium 75? I did not think so; however, I have noticed
that the 486 currently installed only utilizes a subset of the holes
available on the socket.

In case the upgrade is not possible, does anybody know why the socket
has more holes than the processor has pins?

Rolf

--
Rolf Brudeseth
Raytheon Systems Company

2. what is a good scipting language for embedded linux?

3. experiences with AMD 586 133 (P-75) CPU/MB's or Pentium 75?

4. JOIN

5. Lilo "L 40 40 40 40 40 40..."

6. 2.5.25 build as one user and install as root

7. LILO saying "L 40 40 40 40 40 40..."

8. Can I upgrade from 2.2 to 2.5 without complete reinstall?

9. 40 GB Seagate disk and only 8 GB usable

10. Will 20/40 GB tape drv write 5 GB tape?

11. New IBM IDE drive recognized as 40 GB but is 80 GB

12. Lilo spits "L 40 40 40 40"...

13. Solaris 8 intel support for 75 Gb IBM deskstar