LILO splash screen.

Post by Yves Bellefeuil » Thu, 29 Mar 2001 16:16:54

> I have a RedHat 7.0. After the first installation, by default, RH put a
> nice spalsh screen instead of text mode lilo prompt, with a menu to choose
> your boot OS. I want to know how it is made ?

The message you see is specified in the line starting with "message" in
/etc/lilo.conf. In the case of Red Hat 7.0, the message being shown is
the file /boot/message.

Please post using plain text, not HTML. Your newsreader should have an
option for this.

--

Francais / English / Esperanto
Esperanto FAQ: http://www.esperanto.net/veb/faq.html

LILO splash screen.

Post by Justin Ralli » Thu, 29 Mar 2001 15:19:07

    I'm not sure how it's done, but the new beta version of Linux-Mandrake
8.0 (Beta 2) has its own graphical interface for LILO now, too.  It's
smoother than RH7's (I briefly tried RH, but snuck back to my
original--read: newbie-friendly--distro).  Oh, and it's blue.  :^)

Quote:>I have a RedHat 7.0. After the first installation, by default, RH put a

nice spalsh screen instead of text mode lilo >prompt, with a menu to choose
your boot OS. I want to know how it is made ?
Quote:>Thanks, Alex.

LILO splash screen.

Post by Jeremy Pai » Thu, 29 Mar 2001 22:36:37

Quote:

> The message you see is specified in the line starting with "message" in
> /etc/lilo.conf. In the case of Red Hat 7.0, the message being shown is
> the file /boot/message.

i just installed redhat 7 also, and i was wondering if i could get rid of
the graphical lilo interface by removing the "message" entries in my
lilo.conf.  i would rather use the text mode.

along these same lines, i would like to start everything in text mode.  i
would like to login in text mode, and i was wondering if it was possible to
start linux without kde/gnome and just use the shell prompt.  then, if i
wanted to run kde/gnome i could enter the command for it.  i'm a big fan of
the command prompt.

  JEREMY M PAIZ
   Software Engineer
   Research & Development Division

   Welding Technology Corporation
   24775 Crestview Court
   Farmington Hills MI  48335-1507

      Web:  http://www.weldtechcorp.com
    Phone: (248) 477-3900 x3362
      Fax: (248) 477-8897
   Mobile: (248) 568-1592

LILO splash screen.

Post by Henrik Farr » Thu, 29 Mar 2001 23:04:23

Yello

> along these same lines, i would like to start everything in text mode.  i
> would like to login in text mode, and i was wondering if it was possible to
> start linux without kde/gnome and just use the shell prompt.  then, if i
> wanted to run kde/gnome i could enter the command for it.  i'm a big fan of
> the command prompt.

It rulez!

Edit /etc/inittab and change
id:5:initdefault:

id:3:initdefault:

5 boots into X, and 3 boots into consol.

Btw. What format is the message file, if I what to replace it?
--
Mvh. / Kind regards
Henrik Farre

Webpage: http://Welcome.to/Webbench

LILO splash screen.

Post by Jeremy Pai » Fri, 30 Mar 2001 03:02:17

Quote:

> Btw. What format is the message file, if I what to replace it?

the "message" file is a data file (binary?), similar to "boot.b".

Post by Yves Bellefeuil » Fri, 30 Mar 2001 04:58:48

> i just installed redhat 7 also, and i was wondering if i could get rid of
> the graphical lilo interface by removing the "message" entries in my
> lilo.conf.  i would rather use the text mode.

Sure, just remove the "message" line in /etc/lilo.conf and run
/sbin/lilo.

--

Francais / English / Esperanto
Esperanto FAQ: http://www.esperanto.net/veb/faq.html
Rec.travel.europe FAQ: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/travel/europe/faq

LILO splash screen.

Post by Natma » Tue, 03 Apr 2001 04:06:35

It is a .pcx file. (I renamed it and opened it with Corel Photopaint).

Natman

> > Btw. What format is the message file, if I what to replace it?

> the "message" file is a data file (binary?), similar to "boot.b".

> --

>   JEREMY M PAIZ
>    Software Engineer
>    Research & Development Division

>    Welding Technology Corporation
>    24775 Crestview Court
>    Farmington Hills MI  48335-1507

>       Web:  http://www.weldtechcorp.com
>     Phone: (248) 477-3900 x3362
>       Fax: (248) 477-8897
>    Mobile: (248) 568-1592

LILO splash screen.

Post by Gene Hesket » Tue, 03 Apr 2001 13:10:33

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Natman ;

Quote:> It is a .pcx file. (I renamed it and opened it with Corel
> Photopaint).
> Natman

Thanks, I was able to customize mine with gimp in fairly short order.
Don't forget to rerun lilo to link the new version when you're done
'Customizing' yours.

>> > Btw. What format is the message file, if I what to replace it?

>> the "message" file is a data file (binary?), similar to "boot.b".

Cheers, Gene
--

        email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net
#Amiga based X10 home automation program EZHome, see at:#

1. OpenLinux 2.3, LILO splash screen, character Mode 3 display

Hi,

Oh, boy! Am I old-fashoned. Anyway, I have this little old computer
that  didn't cost me a cent, and I have installed OpenLinux 2.3 on the
540 MByte HDD. I want to practice learning the command line, and I
want to work in Graphics Mode 3, which is of course character-based.

I even used a LISA installation,  just because I that's the way I
wanted it.

The LILO splash screen is SVGA. After it goes away, I arrive at the
command prompt (which is what I want). Problem is, the curser is a
block, and I want it to be an underline. Possibly this is a
configuration issue for the prompt, but I have a feeling that it has
to do with the video mode that I'm in. And I think that the SVGA
splash screen changes the vidio mode somehow.

I know that I'm nitpicking. Sorry. Is there anyone who can give me a
thoughtfull suggestion as to how to eliminate the LILO splash screen,
while still utilizing LILO?

Bill

2. What is "always-defragging Protection"?

3. startx -> KDE splash -> blank screen

4. SHIVA and PPP

5. Splash screen during boot?

6. Eql & MPPP one and the same?

7. Kernel Splash Screen?

8. The MSLinux Index for July 31st, 1998

9. splash screen psuedo device bitmap resolution

10. splash screen issue with bimap resolution

11. Splash screen in SuSE 7.3

12. splash screen

13. splash screen not appearing