INIT error when shutting down

Post by Chris Co » Mon, 03 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Hello all.  I am having a problem with my Redhat Linux v 3.0.3  Whenever I use
the command "reboot" it sends a TERM signal to all processes.  That's fine.
But then, before it reboots it sends the line:

INIT:  error reading initrequest
.
.
.
.
.
.

And does this all the way down the screen, for about 10 seconds and then
proceeds to reboot.  It functions normally, but it's rather ugly, and I'd like
to fix whatever seems to be wrong.  Does anyone have any ideas what it could
be???  Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

-CLC

Chris Cook               Senior Consultant, Personal Computing Support Center

INIT error when shutting down

Post by E. Brow » Mon, 03 Feb 1997 04:00:00

[Posted and E-mailed]

: Hello all.  I am having a problem with my Redhat Linux v 3.0.3  Whenever I use
: the command "reboot" it sends a TERM signal to all processes.  That's fine.
: But then, before it reboots it sends the line:

: INIT:  error reading initrequest
: .

Most likely, you have upgraded your kernel (say, from 1.2.13 to 2.0.x)
without upgrading your SysVinit package as well.

FTP to ftp.redhat.com (or better yet, a mirror site) and pick up
the SysVinit-2.64 rpm file.  Install it as you would any rpm file.
I would install the initscripts-2.5 rpm as well, but I am not sure
whether it is necessary.

Poke around RedHat's 'web site.  They have previously posted such
information; it may be under /errata or similar.

Eric

Post by B.A.McCau.. » Thu, 06 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>Hello all.  I am having a problem with my Redhat Linux v 3.0.3  Whenever I use
>the command "reboot" it sends a TERM signal to all processes.  That's fine.
>But then, before it reboots it sends the line:

>INIT:  error reading initrequest

This usually means that your "init" program is out-of-date with
respect to your kernel.  You simply need to upgrade it.  Did you
perhaps upgrade your kernel without reading the release notes?

1. Solaris 2.4 init (1|S|s) KILLS Ingres, !SHUT DOWN GRACEFULLY

This is a re-post of a previous Q. that wasn't as clear as it might've been, so
here goes again:

When a Solaris system is shut down for maintenance via init (1|S|s), Sun's
documentation suggests that scripts in /etc/rc?.d run, so processes such
as Ingres can be taken down gracefully. THIS DOES NOT SEEM TO HAPPEN. Instead,
shutdown does a killall (kill -15 followed by kill -9 of active processes not
directly related to the shutdown process). This may have repercussions for
Ingres installations.

Does anyone know of a simple means of making sure that Ingres and other
processes are stopped gracefully via /etc/rc?.d scripts rather than shot when
init is used to stop a system, instead of having to shutdown Ingres
before the init?

Richard.
~~~~~~~~

2. Linux (Slackware 2.1.0) just... dies....

3. How to shut-off on a shut-down?

4. Hub vs no Hub

5. Problem with powering down when shutting down

6. Netgear EA201 driver?

7. Waiting for Server to shut down error?

8. Problem with Video on Dell 4100

9. eth0 shuts down with NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out error.

10. Error on boot and shut down

11. Shutting Down X -- Error

12. Error shutting down x???

13. What about the "X server to shut down FreeFontPath" error