-= Setting up an SLIP connection =-

Post by Davi » Mon, 07 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

This posting is a question of a friend I have, who is trying to setup
SLIP dialout in a Linux box. He does not have any manual, nor books. HE
lives in Spain and he just -after hours of work- got installed Linux in
his machine.

No he wants to set the SLIP connection with his provider (which ONLY
offer SLIP's connections :( ). Anyone can help him out on that?.

His address is:

Please, address responses to him. Thanks in advance.

|   URL  -  http://www.netpoint.net/~davidc      |
|    "I am not only perfect... I am cuban also!"     |

-= Setting up an SLIP connection =-

Post by Matthew Fr » Mon, 07 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Re setting up dial up for SLIP post it hear as I am trying to get there
myself. Can I figure out which bits of waht files I have to put in,
think not.. Point me in the right diection  Thanks!!!!

*                                                                         *

-= Setting up an SLIP connection =-

Post by Daniel Cade Bigl » Mon, 07 Aug 1995 04:00:00

[---snipped---]

The easiest way is to run netconfig as ROOT.  Enter your hostname,
domain name, etc.  When it gets to the point where it asks you about
setting it to loopback, say no and go on to answer the rest of the
questions.  It will ask you for your name server IP, netmask, etc.
Have all this info handy!

When you're done with that run netconfig *again* only this time when
it asks you if you want to run only loopback say *YES*.  I know
there's got to be a better way to do it, but I couldn't figure out
where it was putting the name server IP and this was the only way
to get it in (where ever it went ;-D ).

Now all you need to do is write a dip script to call from the
program dip.  I'll attach mine just as a reference...  You'll
need to modify it accordingly.

Hope this helps,

Cade

---8<----------------------------------------------------->8---

main:
  port /dev/modem
  speed 57600
  #reset

  # Prepare for dialing
  send ATZ\r
  wait OK 5
  if $errlvl != 0 goto modem_trouble
  dial T2728200
  if $errlvl != 1 goto modem_trouble

login:
  sleep 2
  wait ogin: 20
  if $errlvl != 0 goto login_error
  send [put your user name here]\n
  wait word: 20
  if $errlvl != 0 goto password_error
  send [put your password here]\n

loggedin:
  get $remote remote 1
  get $local remote 1
  get $mtu 296
  default

done:
  print CONNECTED $locip ---> $remote
  mode CSLIP
  goto exit

prompt_error:
  print TIME-OUT waiting for SLIPlogin to fire up...
  goto error

login_trouble:
  print Trouble waiting for the Login: prompt...
  goto error

password:error:
  print Trouble waiting for the Password: prompt...
  goto error

modem_trouble:
  print Trouble ocurred with the modem...

error:
  print CONNECT FAILED to $remote
  quit

exit:
  exit

Post by John Phillip » Mon, 07 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>Re setting up dial up for SLIP post it hear as I am trying to get there
>myself. ...

In the case of setting up Linux (Slackware 2.1.0 to 2.3.0) for internet
access via Demon Internet, there are some help documents for ftp download
from ftp.demon.co.uk, in file /pub/linux/Demon/slack2.3.help.tar.gz.
--
John Phillips