how to use lilo to boot 95, nt and linux

how to use lilo to boot 95, nt and linux

Quote:>Hi, I have 95 installed on primary partition, nt and linux on other

See http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/mini/Multiboot-with-LILO-5.hmtl

how to use lilo to boot 95, nt and linux

Post by Michael McPhai » Thu, 04 Feb 1999 04:00:00

<SNIP>

Quote:> >current my dos's boot.ini has the following line:
> >multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\winnt="windows winnt"

> >Would someone explain to me what's that mean too?

> >Thanks

> >Haojie

> See http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/mini/Multiboot-with-LILO-5.hmtl

      this page doesn't exist...and a "lilo" search of the site didn't
turn up the faq. where else might this be?

thanks,
mike

how to use lilo to boot 95, nt and linux

Post by Martin Walk » Thu, 04 Feb 1999 04:00:00

On Wed, 03 Feb 1999 15:23:59 GMT, Michael McPhail

><SNIP>

>> >current my dos's boot.ini has the following line:
>> >multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\winnt="windows winnt"

>> >Would someone explain to me what's that mean too?

>> >Thanks

>> >Haojie

>> See http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/mini/Multiboot-with-LILO-5.hmtl
>      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>      this page doesn't exist...and a "lilo" search of the site didn't
>turn up the faq. where else might this be?

>thanks,
>mike

shoulkd have been:-
http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/mini/Multiboot-with-LILO.html

Post by Sun Hao Ji » Sat, 06 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> >mike
> shoulkd have been:-
> http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/mini/Multiboot-with-LILO.html

Thanks, but it is quite complicate. Also, my setting is different. I have
6.5G HD and I installed all of them in one.
And the document doesn't explain what is mult, disk, rdisk etc. Therefore I
don't dare to try.

1. Linux and Windows 95 dual boot using LILO

Hi guys...

I am not sure what I 'm doing wrong in this simple and trivial case of
dual boot installation, so please help...

I have a Pentium III/500 machine, with Windows 95 pre-installed. The
hard disk is a standard EIDE one, with 6GB, partitioned in 3 equal
chunks of 2 GB each, the third of which I am using for Linux.

I did manage to install a RedHat distribution (version 5.2) on the
third partition, without any problems at all, including LILO, and it
runs just fine, apart from the dual boot, which I can't achieve.

LILO isn't installed on the MBR, because of horrific situations a
colleague run himself into, attempting to do such a thing under Windows
NT. Instead, I have placed LILO on the Linux native partition, making
DOS the default boot option. I also asked LILO to produce a
bootsect.lin file, which I put in the C:\ drive.

As this can't be enough by itself, I have then created a boot menu in
the Win95 CONFIG.SYS file, with two options: one is Windows 95 itself,
which works fine, and the other is Linux, which doesn't, because simply
I don't know (and haven't been able to find anywhere) what command
should be executed when the "Linux" option is selected. (In
desperation, I even tried shell=c:\bootsect.lin, which, of course,
didn't work!)

So, could you please tell me how I could achieve dual boot under
Windows 95, without having to resort to loadlin?

Thanks,

Dimitris

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Aftwr recompiling the kernel, NIC stops working

3. Multi-boot success with Windows 95, Windows NT 4, Linux, OS/2 boot manager

4. bpf read/write packets

5. Linux fails to boot after dual-booting Windows 95;Reinstall LILO and it works again!?

6. how to add "&"

7. Linux LILO Problems and How to install NT after installing 95 and SUSE

8. Request for Comments on Metro Link's OSF/Motif

9. multi-booting Linux & '95 & NT - advice sought

10. Boot sector during NT, Linux, and '95 installations.

11. Solaris, Windows NT, Window 95, Linux boot question

12. booting 95/Linux/NT

13. Linux / NT / 95 Multi boot askings