How to mounting the DOS file system

Post by Doug Hodge » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am a newbie with Linux, just installed a dual boot Win98/Red Hat v5.2.
Could someone give me some straightforward instructions on how to mount the
DOS file system in Linux.  Thanks!!

How to mounting the DOS file system

Post by Teonanacat » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Doug,

May be the easiest to reinstall Linux.  When you are at the point where
you have created the partitions, you will be asked to set mount points
for the different partitions.  You don't need to set anythingfor the the
swap partitions.  Depending upon how you set the partitions up, the
mount point for root would be  /   the forward slash symbol.  Then you
can set the mount points for any other partitions you will set up. You
may have the DOS/win set up on /dev/hda1.  This means that the dos is on
hard drive a ( the first one) in partition 1.  So, when asked to set the
mount point for that partition, you could select (type in ) something
like
/dos   or
/win9x
or just about anything else which you chose which you will find easy to
remember.

Then, when you finish the Linux install, and boot into the system, that
partition will be visible when you change over to or read that
directory.

This is especially handy, if you have a Netscape bookmark file, or
address book in your Win9x.  You can export these two utilities, leaving
the export file on that partition, and when in Linux, you simply import
those into the new Netscape Linux version from the Win partition, so you
have all of those immediately available.

Good Luck,
--
Valentin Guillen

        --------------------
remove capitalized letters to email me
remueve mayusculas para enviarme email

How to mounting the DOS file system

Post by Silviu Minu » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

mount -t vfat /mnt/dos /dev/hda1               (or whatever drive your dos
partition is)

To make this automatic put the following line in your /etc/fstab (if you don't
already have it):

/dev/hda1               /mnt/dos                vfat    defaults        0 0

> I am a newbie with Linux, just installed a dual boot Win98/Red Hat v5.2.
> Could someone give me some straightforward instructions on how to mount the
> DOS file system in Linux.  Thanks!!

How to mounting the DOS file system

Post by Scot » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

When I do this, I get:

/mnt/dos   does not exist

What am I doing wrong?

Scott

> mount -t vfat /mnt/dos /dev/hda1               (or whatever drive your dos
> partition is)

> To make this automatic put the following line in your /etc/fstab (if you
don't
> already have it):

> /dev/hda1               /mnt/dos                vfat    defaults        0
0

> > I am a newbie with Linux, just installed a dual boot Win98/Red Hat v5.2.
> > Could someone give me some straightforward instructions on how to mount
the
> > DOS file system in Linux.  Thanks!!

How to mounting the DOS file system

Post by Magicia » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'm a newbie too.  I think that vfat and fat32 are two different things.  I
don't think the command "mount  -t vfat /mnt/dos /dev/hda1" works for fat32
(which is probably your case).  Vfat is still Fat16 but with long file name
support (Virtual FAT).  Sorry, I don't know the command to mount a Fat32
partition, but I'm sure the above command doesn't work.

I'm still trying to make my NT and Caldera dual boot.

> When I do this, I get:

> /mnt/dos   does not exist

> What am I doing wrong?

> Scott

> > mount -t vfat /mnt/dos /dev/hda1               (or whatever drive your
dos
> > partition is)

> > To make this automatic put the following line in your /etc/fstab (if you
> don't
> > already have it):

> > /dev/hda1               /mnt/dos                vfat    defaults
0
> 0

> > > I am a newbie with Linux, just installed a dual boot Win98/Red Hat
v5.2.
> > > Could someone give me some straightforward instructions on how to
mount
> the
> > > DOS file system in Linux.  Thanks!!

How to mounting the DOS file system

Post by Magicia » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I just read an earlier thread about mounting Fat32.

Try "mount -t fat32 /mnt/dos /dev/hda1"

> When I do this, I get:

> /mnt/dos   does not exist

> What am I doing wrong?

> Scott

> > mount -t vfat /mnt/dos /dev/hda1               (or whatever drive your
dos
> > partition is)

> > To make this automatic put the following line in your /etc/fstab (if you
> don't
> > already have it):

> > /dev/hda1               /mnt/dos                vfat    defaults
0
> 0

> > > I am a newbie with Linux, just installed a dual boot Win98/Red Hat
v5.2.
> > > Could someone give me some straightforward instructions on how to
mount
> the
> > > DOS file system in Linux.  Thanks!!

How to mounting the DOS file system

Post by Scot » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I get the same error message when I use "mount -t fat32 /mnt/dos /dev/hda1"

Scott

> I just read an earlier thread about mounting Fat32.

> Try "mount -t fat32 /mnt/dos /dev/hda1"

> > When I do this, I get:

> > /mnt/dos   does not exist

> > What am I doing wrong?

How to mounting the DOS file system

Post by Charles Sulliva » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

You have to first create an empty directory /mnt/dos as
a mount point.  Then follow the instructions in Silviu
Minut's message appended below.

>When I do this, I get:

>/mnt/dos   does not exist

>What am I doing wrong?

>Scott

>> mount -t vfat /mnt/dos /dev/hda1               (or whatever drive your
dos
>> partition is)

>> To make this automatic put the following line in your /etc/fstab (if you
>don't
>> already have it):

>> /dev/hda1               /mnt/dos                vfat    defaults        0
>0

>> > I am a newbie with Linux, just installed a dual boot Win98/Red Hat
v5.2.
>> > Could someone give me some straightforward instructions on how to mount
>the
>> > DOS file system in Linux.  Thanks!!

How to mounting the DOS file system

Post by Charles Sulliva » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Please don't spread MISinformation!!!

No kernel (as recent as Ver 2.2.11) will recognize "FAT32"
or "fat32" as a valid NAME for a file type.  Support for
a FAT 32 file system is accomplished by using file type
"vfat" in the mount command.  (Type vfat also supports
FAT 16 file systems with either short or long filenames).

Note: Only kernel versions 2.0.34 and later can support
FAT 32 file systems.  Support for vfat in this and later
versions must be specified when the kernel is built, but
this is ordinarily included in most standard distributions.

>I just read an earlier thread about mounting Fat32.

>Try "mount -t fat32 /mnt/dos /dev/hda1"

>> When I do this, I get:

>> /mnt/dos   does not exist

>> What am I doing wrong?

>> Scott

>> > mount -t vfat /mnt/dos /dev/hda1               (or whatever drive your
>dos
>> > partition is)

>> > To make this automatic put the following line in your /etc/fstab (if
you
>> don't
>> > already have it):

>> > /dev/hda1               /mnt/dos                vfat    defaults
>0
>> 0

>v5.2.
>mount
>> the

How to mounting the DOS file system

Post by Silviu Minu » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

It seemed obvious to me that /mnt/dos must exist first. If you don't have it,
you create it like this:

mkdir /mnt/dos

(I assume you have /mnt already. If not, create it as above).

> When I do this, I get:

> /mnt/dos   does not exist

> What am I doing wrong?

> Scott

> > mount -t vfat /mnt/dos /dev/hda1               (or whatever drive your dos
> > partition is)

> > To make this automatic put the following line in your /etc/fstab (if you
> don't
> > already have it):

> > /dev/hda1               /mnt/dos                vfat    defaults        0
> 0

> > > I am a newbie with Linux, just installed a dual boot Win98/Red Hat v5.2.
> > > Could someone give me some straightforward instructions on how to mount
> the
> > > DOS file system in Linux.  Thanks!!

1. Mounting large dos file systems with different drivers.

I have recently loaded Linux on my second hard drive, and would like
to transfer several files from my dos drive.  However, my dos drive
is a WD 730M drive, and I needed to use the WD driver in order to
use the entire drive.  When I try to 'mount -tmsdos /dev/hda1 /mnt'
I get a message to the effect that either it's the wrong filesystem
type, or it is busy.  Since it's not busy, I guess the way the WD driver
sets up the disk, it's not set up like a standard msdos file system.
Has anyone figured out how to mount a disk set up like this?

John-

2. Reboot for Users

3. How to mounting the DOS file system

4. cgi permission problem

5. Can msdos file system handle double space DOS file system ?

6. compiler versions...

7. Should mount autodetect vfat file systems (Was: Long filenames on DOS partitions)

8. HELP IOCTL and /dev/ttyS1

9. Mount DOS file system from Linux

10. Auto-mounting dos file systems

11. How change the ownership of mounted dos file-system

12. Mounting dos file system

13. copying files from unix to dos system in dos readable format