Installing Slackware 3.4

Post by Jaso » Sat, 18 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I am a newbie at Linux

I cant get a boot and root disk to recognise my ATAPI cdrom.

Have tried bare.i and sbpcd.i on the slackware disks.
Also have tried to force kernel to regognise cdrom on second IDE controller.
CDROM is a 24x Diamond Data CDROM.
The system I am using is plug'n "Pray"
Is there a kernel that i can load that will be able to use the cdrom
i have.

Thanx in advance

Installing Slackware 3.4

Post by Les » Sat, 18 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Jason,
Try the bare.i and color.gz root disks. Worked for me.
Les

>I am a newbie at Linux

>I cant get a boot and root disk to recognise my ATAPI cdrom.

>Have tried bare.i and sbpcd.i on the slackware disks.
>Also have tried to force kernel to regognise cdrom on second IDE
controller.
>CDROM is a 24x Diamond Data CDROM.
>The system I am using is plug'n "Pray"
>Is there a kernel that i can load that will be able to use the cdrom
>i have.

>Thanx in advance

1. Newbie needs help installing Slackware 3.4

My computer:
IBM PS/2 56 486SLC2 50Mhz
Microchannel Bus
IBM SCSI on-board adapter - Conner 212 MB SCSI HDD
8 MB's RAM (Two 4 meg simms)

I managed to install debain 1.3, but I really want to get slackware 3.4
on it.  I d/l'd the bootdisk "ibmmca.s" and the rootdisk "color.gz".  I
also d/l'd the A, AP, and N series of disks.  I boot off the image of
"ibmmca.s" and it seems to be working ok but it does not detect my hdd.
It asks for the root disk, which I give it, but then it just tells me
that I need to have a linux partition to continue with setup.  The thing
is, due to debian, i DO have a linux partition, just it can't find the
physical drive.  When I loaded debian I had to use the boot prompt
command "linux ibmmcascsi=7" to make it load, but when I tried that with
slackware it didn't like it.  I'm thinking that I should get the dev
file for my drive out of it and put it in the root disk image, then I
can mount it, but I don't know how to get into the image from
windoze95.  (It is a gz file that contains no distinguishable files)

Thanks,
Chris
--
Edward Christopher Kern

ICQ# 9984441

2. RH 5.0 glibc problems

3. i just installed Slackware 3.4 and the Multi-Consoles doesn't work.

4. Voice Editing

5. help installing slackware 3.4

6. Enabling PPP Dial-on Demand

7. Problem on installing Slackware 3.4 to Zeos Pantera 90

8. X on Compaq 386n

9. Problem installing Slackware 3.4

10. Installing Slackware 3.4 from a FAT32 partition

11. Slackware 3.4 MAJOR install problems. Please Help!

12. prob w/Slackware 3.4 install

13. Help installing java on Slackware 3.4!