RHL 4.2....NEW KERNEL NOT RESPONDING UPON BOOTUP

RHL 4.2....NEW KERNEL NOT RESPONDING UPON BOOTUP

Post by Velanche Stewar » Sun, 18 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hello:

I've recompiled my kernel via the "make dep; make clean; make zlilo" command
from the /usr/src/linux-2.0.30 directory. Afterward the kernel compiled, I
used the command "rdev -R vmliinuz 1" before rebooting. Before doing that,
I've checked in the /vmlinuz directory from root. It was dated today. But
when I checked in the /boot directory, there was a vmlinuz file dated
differently. It looked symbolic because it pointed to vmlinuz-2.0.30. I am
assuming that it's the file called vmlinuz within the same directory--only
it was dated June 4 of last year. And then in the /usr/src/linux-2.0.30
directory, there was a vmlinux file--which I have no idea if that's similar
to vmlinuz.

Anyhow, I rebooted my system. Then I noticed that the new kernel has not
kicked in.

What is it that I'm missing. I thought that I was doing all that needed to
be done, and I'm hesitant to just overwrite the vmlinuz-2.0.30 file in /boot
without knowing if that's the right thing to do without messing up what I've
done. Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
Velanche Stewart

1. RHL 4.2--/dev/modem not found

Hello:

I've used Linux time and time again and have been able to get a modem
connection with relative ease. This time, though, it does seem to appear in
the /dev directory.

I suspect something have happened along the way after reinstalling RHL and
then having to recompile the kernel once more to get ppp and sound to work.
They were detected, but when I ran minicom and pppd, both indicated that
"/dev/modem not found."

I know that I'm missing a step somewhere, and I could really use some
assistance as to tracking and solving the problem. Any help is certainly
appreciated.

Regards,
Velanche Stewart

2. HELP- NEW Linux won't Boot on my box?

3. NFS not responding: new-old kernel quirks

4. `frop'

5. Lilo adds new kernel-not avail at bootup

6. Toray, Panasonic 4X CD + rewriteable optical?

7. New kernel not avail at bootup

8. Compiling 1.1.18--Undefined symbols

9. Lag - RHL 4.2

10. RHL 4.2, XFree86 3.3, Matrox Millenium 8MB, Sony 20seII

11. MapRooting Users on RHL 4.2

12. Upgrade RHL 4.1 -> 4.2

13. Modules version conflict under RHL 4.2