problems with Red Hat 8 and NVIDIA GeForce4 MX

problems with Red Hat 8 and NVIDIA GeForce4 MX

Post by Doug Myers, Jr » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 22:32:40

Hi,

    I just installed Red Hat 8.0 and I can't get my video card configured
correctly. I have an ASUS A7A-266 motherboard and a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440 4x
AGP card.

    My problem is that I can't enable 3d hardware support for my card. I
tried downloading the new drivers from NVIDIA. In windows, I had this
problem, and it was an issue between the ALI M1647 chipset on my motherboard
and the NVIDIA. Is anything like this causing my problems in Linux?

Thanks!

Doug Myers

Post by Andreas Treto » Sat, 14 Dec 2002 01:24:42

> Hi,

>     I just installed Red Hat 8.0 and I can't get my video card configured
> correctly. I have an ASUS A7A-266 motherboard and a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440 4x
> AGP card.

>     My problem is that I can't enable 3d hardware support for my card. I
> tried downloading the new drivers from NVIDIA. In windows, I had this
> problem, and it was an issue between the ALI M1647 chipset on my motherboard
> and the NVIDIA. Is anything like this causing my problems in Linux?

> Thanks!

> Doug Myers

Hi Doug,

Please be more specific about your problems. One can only guess what is
going wrong with your setup. Here are a couple of hints:

1. Have you installed ALL the necessary drivers and how (RPM, tarball)?
(You write that you have tried downloading the drivers. Have you also
tried to install them according to the provided instructions? :-) Just a
hint)
2. Did you receive any error messages during the process? If yes, what
were they exactly (copy and paste into your next posting)?
3. Have you made the necessary changes to your XF86Config (append it to
your next posting if you don't know what I am talking about)?
4. If your answers were 'Yes' to 1 and 3 and 'No' to 2, what leads you to
believe that you don't have hardware 3D accelaration? Is it the greyed out
checkbox in the GUI configuration tool? If yes, you can safely ignore it
and try running a 3D application like tuxracer and check whether it's
playable or not.

I hope this helps (a little),
Andreas

Post by Craig Kelle » Sat, 14 Dec 2002 01:22:17

> Hi,

>     I just installed Red Hat 8.0 and I can't get my video card configured
> correctly. I have an ASUS A7A-266 motherboard and a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440 4x
> AGP card.

>     My problem is that I can't enable 3d hardware support for my card. I
> tried downloading the new drivers from NVIDIA. In windows, I had this
> problem, and it was an issue between the ALI M1647 chipset on my motherboard
> and the NVIDIA. Is anything like this causing my problems in Linux?

> Thanks!

Try setting your AGP to 2x on the motherboard BIOS, if you suspect
that the problem lies there.  The gracious folks on the #nvidia
channel on irc.openprojects.net are of great help as well.

--

Turn In Your Neighbor Today!  http://www.bsa.org/usa/report/report.php

1. Success Story: nVidia GeForce4 Ti 4200 / Red Hat 7.3

I didn't find anything (on Google/etc) before buying and installing, so I
thought I'd spread the word...

I just purchased an nVidia GeForce4 Ti 4200 AGP graphics card manufactured
by "MSI". Works awesome with Red Hat Linux 7.3 on a Dell Optiplex GX240.
* cost about $160
* dual head with different size monitors! (monitors: 1-Sony Trinitron
Flat Screen 21", 2-Sony Trinitron Flat Screen 19")
* drivers (RPM, SRPM, source) provided by nVidia. I used the SRPMS.
* works out-of-the-box, but nVidia's drivers allowed for dual-head and other
customizations (hardware-powered cursor shadow. woo hoo!)
* fast as hell: Tux Racer is amazing. I don't have Quake to test.
* my window manager (sawfish) seems to recognize the dual-headedness;
it places windows appropriately.

My only complaints are (1) it moved away the Mesa GL libraries in
favor of the nVidia GL stuff, so I wasn't able to compile "Cannon Smash"
from source. Not that I'll really play games anyway, I just thought I'd
try. (2) Every time I switch to a virtual terminal, any ANSI-colored
console text looks funky (or is invisible). Luckily, color can be
disabled most of the time for console apps.

My reason for trying the nVidia card was because I believe the ATI drivers
that come with Red Hat 7.3 (XFree86 4.2.0, I think) _don't work well_. I've
seen numerous problems ranging from full lock-ups to no virtual terminals,
to unusable X configurations. Bye bye ATI.

2. Dip up 100% of the time

3. Nvidia GeForce4 MX & RH 8.0

4. Shared Motif libraries

5. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

6. OKIPAGE 4w

7. Dual headed with Nvidia GeForce4 (MX420) AGP + Nvidia TNT2 PCI

8. editor wanted with no line length limit.

9. GeForce4 on Red Hat 8???

10. Problem logging in after upgradation from red hat 8 to red hat 9

11. Video Card Problem (NVIDIA GeForce4) on Linux 7.2

12. NVidia GeForce4 - XF86 problems

13. Video Card Problem (NVIDIA GeForce4) on Linux 7.2