Not executing rc files properly when booting...

Not executing rc files properly when booting...

Post by Geo. Apostolopoul » Sat, 05 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hi there,
a friend of mine has the following problem:
when he boots/reboots his machine (IBM ThinkPad) it seems that
some of the rc files are not executed (especially rc.M) so the
initialization of the machine in not complete and he can not
access the network etc. When the machine finally boots is at
run level 5 (as it is supposed to be). /etc/inittab and the rc files
are either the standard ones or look normal.
Actually, the machine was running ok with exactly the same configuration
but suddenly stopped working (that;s what he says :-)))

Any ideas on this? sorry for not giving more details, that;s all the
information I've got...

thanks for any help

George

Post by sean hennesse » Sun, 06 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> Hi there,
> a friend of mine has the following problem:
> when he boots/reboots his machine (IBM ThinkPad) it seems that
> some of the rc files are not executed (especially rc.M) so the
> initialization of the machine in not complete and he can not
> access the network etc. When the machine finally boots is at
> run level 5 (as it is supposed to be). /etc/inittab and the rc files
> are either the standard ones or look normal.
> Actually, the machine was running ok with exactly the same configuration
> but suddenly stopped working (that;s what he says :-)))

> Any ideas on this? sorry for not giving more details, that;s all the
> information I've got...

> thanks for any help

> George

george,

i am running 1.2.13 on a thinkpad 755cd. i just noticed somthing when
upgrading to the newest cardservices stuff. with the old one, rc.m
stopped after running rc.pcmcia. when i installed the new card services
it all of a sudden ran sendmail and ibcs. i was suprised to say the
least. i thought i messed something up, but from looking at it, the
old card services never returned to fininsh running rc.M. the new one,
pcmcia-cs-2.8.22, fixed some bugs and also lets rc.m finish running
all commands after the rc.pcmcai.

hope this helps.
sean hennessey

1. Boot problem: " cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc.S" "

I got this problem in the boot process. When I boot my system, just after:

VFS mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly

This comes up:

Apr 9 15:23:47 init[1]: version 2.4 booting
init[2]: cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc.S"
Apr 9 15:23:48 init[2]: cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc.S"
Apr 9 15:23:48 init[1]: Entering runlevel: 5
init[3]: cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc.M"
Apr 9 15:23:48 init[3]: cannot execute "/eyc/rc.d/rc.M"

welcome to linux 0.99.15.

The Linux version is 1.1.59.

The error happens on both a 386/16 with 5 MBRAM/42MBHD and on a 386/40 8 MBRAM
and 520 MB DOS shared HD. There are just a videocard (EGA or VGA tryed) and
a HD/FD controller in the maschine, sometimes there are also a NE2000 card,
but it dosent seam to change anything if i take it out. I even tryed several
times to reinstal the system even with software from different sites.

All the files in /etc/rc.d, and all the directorys above, has all rights set
for root, and execute rights for everyone else. I changed this so that, the
root (/), /etc, all files in /etc, the directory /etc/rc.d and finally all
files in /etc/rc.d has all rights set, nothing changes.

When I log in as root for the first time after boot, I have to

mount -n -o remount /
mount /proc /proc -t proc

Then the systems works until the next time it is booted.

When I am on the system (as root) I can not execute any file in the /etc/rc.d
directory. If I copy one ore more file from the /etc/rc.d directory, i still
cannot execute it. Everytime i write:

rc.S

in the /etc/rc.d directory, and everywhere else, I get this error:

bash: ./rc.S: No such file or directory

even though I can edit the file with vi and cat it with

cat rc.S

I have looked in all the FAQ I can find, and all the documentation available.
Am I just stuppid, or am I the first in the world to encounter this problem.

Any hint and suggestion is higly apriciatet

2. Virtual Server

3. NNTPD Not Initializing Properly Under AIX 3.1 From rc File

4. How to in stall juno (or any server) on my linux machine

5. rc.local does not appear to execute during boot

6. stream I/O and TLI in Linux??

7. renamed rc.boot to rc.boot.old now it wont boot???

8. Desperately looking for a Linux copy

9. What is it the /etc/rc.d/rc.boot file?

10. Cannot Execute rc.S and rc.M scripts

11. Solution to cannot execute /etc/rc.d/rc.S and so on

12. Cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc" error!

13. linux refuses to execute rc.M and other /etc/rc.d scripts