1. Boot problem: " cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc.S" "
I got this problem in the boot process. When I boot my system, just after:
VFS mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly
This comes up:
Apr 9 15:23:47 init: version 2.4 booting
init: cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc.S"
Apr 9 15:23:48 init: cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc.S"
Apr 9 15:23:48 init: Entering runlevel: 5
init: cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc.M"
Apr 9 15:23:48 init: cannot execute "/eyc/rc.d/rc.M"
welcome to linux 0.99.15.
The Linux version is 1.1.59.
The error happens on both a 386/16 with 5 MBRAM/42MBHD and on a 386/40 8 MBRAM
and 520 MB DOS shared HD. There are just a videocard (EGA or VGA tryed) and
a HD/FD controller in the maschine, sometimes there are also a NE2000 card,
but it dosent seam to change anything if i take it out. I even tryed several
times to reinstal the system even with software from different sites.
All the files in /etc/rc.d, and all the directorys above, has all rights set
for root, and execute rights for everyone else. I changed this so that, the
root (/), /etc, all files in /etc, the directory /etc/rc.d and finally all
files in /etc/rc.d has all rights set, nothing changes.
When I log in as root for the first time after boot, I have to
mount -n -o remount /
mount /proc /proc -t proc
Then the systems works until the next time it is booted.
When I am on the system (as root) I can not execute any file in the /etc/rc.d
directory. If I copy one ore more file from the /etc/rc.d directory, i still
cannot execute it. Everytime i write:
in the /etc/rc.d directory, and everywhere else, I get this error:
bash: ./rc.S: No such file or directory
even though I can edit the file with vi and cat it with
I have looked in all the FAQ I can find, and all the documentation available.
Am I just stuppid, or am I the first in the world to encounter this problem.
Any hint and suggestion is higly apriciatet
2. Virtual Server
3. NNTPD Not Initializing Properly Under AIX 3.1 From rc File
4. How to in stall juno (or any server) on my linux machine
5. rc.local does not appear to execute during boot
6. stream I/O and TLI in Linux??
7. renamed rc.boot to rc.boot.old now it wont boot???
8. Desperately looking for a Linux copy
9. What is it the /etc/rc.d/rc.boot file?
10. Cannot Execute rc.S and rc.M scripts
11. Solution to cannot execute /etc/rc.d/rc.S and so on
12. Cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc" error!
13. linux refuses to execute rc.M and other /etc/rc.d scripts