How to Dialup using IBM Aptiva MWAVE card ?

How to Dialup using IBM Aptiva MWAVE card ?

Post by Wen H » Tue, 17 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Can someone tell me how to dialup using IBM Aptiva MWAVE card?
Looks like Linux has difficult to use the modem in it.  It just
keep dialing and has no error message.  I am using

        seyon -modem /dev/modem &

I also tried minicom and got same result.  It works fine with Win95.

Wen Hu

How to Dialup using IBM Aptiva MWAVE card ?

Post by Roderick W. Smi » Tue, 17 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> Can someone tell me how to dialup using IBM Aptiva MWAVE card?

You can't.

Quote:> It works fine with Win95.

Irrelevant.  Mwave products require that you have some quite extensive
driver support on the computer to do anything more than trivial
functions (namely, SoundBlaster emulation and access to the CD-ROM
port on the card, if one's present).  Linux has no such drivers, and
writing them would be a major undertaking and might, as a practical
matter, require documentation that may not be available outside of
IBM.  So, I wouldn't count on this support materializing any time
soon, though there are lots of Linux users who'd LIKE it.  In the
meantime, you have three options:

1) Live without dialup access from Linux;
2) Live without Linux;
3) Replace or supplement the Mwave board with a conventional
   modem.

If you choose option #3, be sure to avoid the so-called "WinModems,"
which suffer the same problem as the Mwave, though their designs are
different in various details.

| Rod Smith                                 Author of:               |

| http://ezinfo.ucs.indiana.edu/~rodsmith   "OS/2 Soundcard Summary" |

How to Dialup using IBM Aptiva MWAVE card ?

Post by Bob Hau » Thu, 19 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> If you choose option #3, be sure to avoid the so-called "WinModems,"
> which suffer the same problem as the Mwave, though their designs are
> different in various details.

These may also be labelled as "RPI" modems, usually along with
some really small text that touts the virtues of "optimized for
Windows" using a "new standard" interface.  Just FYI.

---

 Wasatch Communications Group               http://www.wasatch.com

1. IBM Aptiva: Mwave modem/soundcard using with Linux.

Has anyone got the Aptiva MWave card working with linux?
We has tried initializing the card from dos, and then using Loadlin
to boot linux but the modem could not be detected.  Is this a
plug-and-play issue?

Currently we are using linux 1.2.1, do newer kernels support
the mwave?

Thanks
--
Brian Kelley         : 357 Rhodes Hall

(607) 255-0963       : Ithaca, N.Y. 14850

2. Help! Mail files appear "empty" under Mozilla mail

3. Linix on IBM Aptiva with MWave sound card/modem

4. Any JSentry users out there?

5. IBM Aptiva M71, Mwave card, recognition problems

6. Networking laser printer

7. Mwave modem and IBM Aptiva

8. env vars being forced with telnet connections..

9. Anyone install Linux on IBM Aptiva Pentium 100 with Mwave chip?

10. IBM Aptiva Mwave Modem

11. IBM Aptiva MWAVE modem

12. IBM Aptiva with MWAVE ans Suse

13. Linux on Aptiva 78 with MWave card