Linux and Western digital caviar/Ontrac drive

Linux and Western digital caviar/Ontrac drive

Post by GARY RIDLE » Sat, 28 Oct 1995 04:00:00

I have been trying to install Linux on a packard-bell system with 8 Mb of ram
and a 1 Gb Western Digital hard drive. The hard drive is using WD's Ontrac disk
manager(dynamic drive overlay), when I ty to use linux's fdisk to repartition
the drive, it does not recognize the drive correctly. Is there someone here who
has installed linux on a system with a similar drive? How was the drive
repartitioned? The problem seems to be in the way the used blocks are reported
back to the OS, although I am not sure.

Gary Ridley

Linux and Western digital caviar/Ontrac drive

Post by Vonkyoung Ki » Sun, 29 Oct 1995 04:00:00

I have experienced exactly same problem when I was trying to install
Linux.  (I had 540MB Caviar w/ Ontrack software installed)  After
days of trial and error, I found I need to repartition the whole
disk!  Ontrack software is sucks when you are using OS other than
16bit DOS.  As far as I know, you should uninstall the Ontrack,
then repartition the hard disk, then install the Linux OS.
After doing that, I successfully installed Linux.

Good luck.

Linux and Western digital caviar/Ontrac drive

Post by Michael D. Bla » Wed, 01 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I have been trying to install Linux on a packard-bell system with 8 Mb of ram
>and a 1 Gb Western Digital hard drive. The hard drive is using WD's Ontrac
disk
>manager(dynamic drive overlay), when I ty to use linux's fdisk to repartition
>the drive, it does not recognize the drive correctly. Is there someone here
who
>has installed linux on a system with a similar drive? How was the drive
>repartitioned? The problem seems to be in the way the used blocks are
reported
>back to the OS, although I am not sure.

You need to install linux with a kernel of at least 1.3.16 (I did it using
1.3.35).  The earlier kernels did not recognize the ontrac manager.

-
 /----------------------------------------------------------\

| Computer Science Innovations, Inc.    407-676-2355  FAX    |
| Melbourne FL 32904-2314            http://www.csihq.com    |

1. Western Digital 80GB Caviar Hard Drive with 8MB Cache v.s Linux

Hi,

This week, CompUSA has a Western Digital 80 GB Caviar hard drive with 8MB
cache on sale for $100 after the rebates and am thinking to purchase a unit
to run Linux on it. I am wondering if anyone has ever tried to install
Linux on this beast and would like to make some comments if the drive works
on Linux and perhaps its performance as well.

TIA.

2. SunOS 5.8 and Linux NIS master

3. Drive Survey (Western Digital Caviar)

4. I get no coredump from LINUX

5. (fwd) Re: Drive Survey (Western Digital Caviar)

6. Help: Diamond Stealth 3D 3000 w/ XFree86 3.3.2

7. Western Digital Caviar HD and 2048 Cylinders in Linux

8. newbie: is sunOS=Solaris?

9. Western Digital Caviar HD and 2484 Cylinders in Linux

10. western digital caviar and linux

11. Western Digital Caviar 1.2 GB - Which harddrive to buy?

12. Via VT8233C + Western Digital Caviar = corruption hell?