How to change access rights of USB drive ?

How to change access rights of USB drive ?

Post by Anton Erasmu » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 17:43:53

Hi,

I have managed to mount an external USB drive from instructions
I googled. I can read/write etc. when I am root, but when I try
as a normal user I get permission denied.
I added  /dev/sda1  /mnt/usb auto noauto,owner 0 0
to the /etc/fstab file as per the googled instructions.

The drive is mounted at /mnt/usb
I have tried chmod a+w /mnt/usb
this does not give any error, but the access rights do not seem
to change.

Regards
   Anton Erasmus

How to change access rights of USB drive ?

Post by Lenar » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 22:15:57

Quote:> Hi,

> I have managed to mount an external USB drive from instructions I
> googled. I can read/write etc. when I am root, but when I try as a
> normal user I get permission denied. I added  /dev/sda1  /mnt/usb auto
> noauto,owner 0 0 to the /etc/fstab file as per the googled instructions.

In fstab the line should read something like;

/dev/sda1   /mnt/usb   vfat noauto,owner,rw,umask=022 0 0

Read for more information/details;
man mount
man fstab

--
end
If you cannot read this, use a non-Microsoft reader!!

Post by lawjm » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 22:39:09

> Hi,

> I have managed to mount an external USB drive from instructions
> I googled. I can read/write etc. when I am root, but when I try
> as a normal user I get permission denied.
> I added  /dev/sda1  /mnt/usb auto noauto,owner 0 0
> to the /etc/fstab file as per the googled instructions.

> The drive is mounted at /mnt/usb
> I have tried chmod a+w /mnt/usb
> this does not give any error, but the access rights do not seem
> to change.

> Regards
>    Anton Erasmus

What about changing rights /dev/sda1?

1. FTP : change automatically the access rights of a file when it arrived in its directory

Hi verybody !

I put some files in a given directory on a server Linux by FTP
(wu-2.6.0 FTP Server).
The acces rights of the files are 644. I need to have their access
rigths set to 664 directly.
I need this because It's another user that has to write in these files
(this other user is in the same group)

I hope I was clear enough. Sorry for my english !

Thanks,
JiJou

2. help diagnosing complete lockup

3. Changing proxy access rights on the fly

4. DVD Drives

5. ZIP drive and access rights.

6. C/C++ Lib function to return filename given path??

7. Access rights / floppy drives

8. Does the AWE32 support Soundblaster 16 compatability under Linux?

9. How do I access an USB pen drive?

10. How do I access USB drives from Nautilus/GNOME?

11. Change permission on a mounted usb drive?

12. File names change to upper case in USB drive

13. Can't Access USB Flash Drive as /dev/sda