No sound - kmpg, kmidi | Yes sound - kscd | Why?

No sound - kmpg, kmidi | Yes sound - kscd | Why?

Post by Ron Ga » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Can someone help me out?  kscd plays my cd's just fine.  However, when I
try to play anything using kmpg, kmidi, kmedia or x11amp, I get NO
SOUND.  I've checked to see if the kernel modules are loaded, and they
are.  The settings for the sb.0 module match what is suggested and what
has worked for me before.

What else is there to configure?

Frustrated,
Ron

Post by dpac » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Can someone help me out?  kscd plays my cd's just fine.  However, when I
> try to play anything using kmpg, kmidi, kmedia or x11amp, I get NO
> SOUND.  I've checked to see if the kernel modules are loaded, and they
> are.  The settings for the sb.0 module match what is suggested and what
> has worked for me before.

> What else is there to configure?

> Frustrated,
> Ron

Maybe the /dev/ devices for midi, et cetera, are missing.
Look for a script which creates these devices.

--
David Pace - Free commodity/stock graphing software
and Linux links at http://www.daveware.com

Post by Florian Schmi » Tue, 22 Aug 2000 09:48:07

>> try to play anything using kmpg, kmidi, kmedia or x11amp, I get NO
>> SOUND.  I've checked to see if the kernel modules are loaded, and they
>Maybe the /dev/ devices for midi, et cetera, are missing.
>Look for a script which creates these devices.

does the player programs actually report about not being able to
playback, or are they just quite? maybe they are muted by the mixer.
execute kmx and look..

--
Florian Schmidt

Post by Matthias Arnd » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > Can someone help me out?  kscd plays my cd's just fine.  However, when I
> > try to play anything using kmpg, kmidi, kmedia or x11amp, I get NO
> > SOUND.  I've checked to see if the kernel modules are loaded, and they
> > are.  The settings for the sb.0 module match what is suggested and what
> > has worked for me before.

> > What else is there to configure?

> > Frustrated,
> > Ron

> Maybe the /dev/ devices for midi, et cetera, are missing.
> Look for a script which creates these devices.

I would say you are lacking the required permissions to access the linux
sound devices.
Try adding you the group audio.
And if you re lacking the devices, do you use a kernel with sound support
enabled?

Note: CD sound is independent from other sound because the CD Audio goes
directly to the soundcard mixer. It does not use any sound driver.
You can even hear a CD playing in your CDROM under plain DOS without any
drivers - it is hardwired to the output jacks.
(At least, on all sound cards I've seen sofar.)

Matthias
 --

... Original mail by Matthias Arndt

    my ICQ number is: 40358321

1. NO SOUND in WinTV in Linux; YES SOUND in WinTV2000 microsoft !

Howdy all,
 I have a Hauppauge WinTV card installed.  And I have attached cable.

 kradio = BEAUTIFUL SOUND from local radio stations!
 kmotv or kawtv or anything else: BEAUTIFUL PICTURE and NO SOUND !
In BillGates winXPland: wintv2000: lousy picture BUT sound is very good !

We can't have that can we !?!

PLEASE offer some suggestions!
(My wife is a very strong tv watcher)

-thank you,
Bill.

2. When is XFree86 3.1 being released?

3. Why my Sound Blaster Pro 2 play sound at wrong speed?

4. syscall documentation (2)

5. Sound: Replace beep with other sound thru pc speaker/sound card?

6. Ethernet Setup

7. Still no Kmidi sound.

8. Intel 830MP chipset and Via savepro KN133- kernel support ?

9. No sound from KMidi under KDE

10. sound, sound, sound

11. Kmidi and Nerscape midi sound

12. Kmid and Kmidi sound differences