Large EIDE drive

Post by Marco van » Sat, 23 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I recently bought a 850 Mb Western Digital drive and I'm not sure about some
things. I partitioned the drive into four partitions. The last partition has
cylinder 1024 as its first cylinder and 1654 as its last cylinder. There's no
problem with this right? I don't have any dos partitions on this drive. When I
start cfdisk and I sum up the size of the partitions I get 813 Mb. Is this
right? Or can't even linux cope with a large drive?

Marco

Large EIDE drive

Post by Infectici » Sun, 24 Sep 1995 04:00:00

i dont understand why you partitioned it into 4 drives... but no there
should be no problem. Oh but one thing:
If your last aviable clynder is 2000 [example for a 1.08 gig hd]
set your last partition to 1999, that way the hard drive head can rest
on 2000 safely when you shutdown.

1. Large EIDE drive installations

I am having problems installing linux on my large EIDE drive (disk 2). Linux does not
recognise the drive at all. I have two drives a 420Mb EIDE and a 730Mb EIDE.

The first drive has 32 sectors per track (which linux hates) and the second drive
has only 16. My first drive contains only DOS/Windows, the second has OS/2 and
hopefully one day Linux.

I have tried with the boot: RAMDISK hd= ..... option, but that only changes
the recognition of my first drive.

Any ideas at all? The FAQs etc haven't been a lot of help.

Thanks

Wayne.

2. Turn off Virtual desktop?

3. Old BIOS, Large EIDE Drive and setmax program

4. Can't plumb le interface.

5. Large EIDE drives and Linux

6. Install Problems - 2940w Adaptec CDROM

7. Large EIDE drive

8. su login

9. Installing 2 Large EIDE Drives

10. Q: 2.2.8 and limits on large EIDE drives

11. fdisk with large EIDE drives

12. Large EIDE drives and controllers Q!

13. Has anyone used large EIDE drives with Linux?