Can I do 'selective' RPM upgrades - from 3.0.3 to 4.2 ??

Can I do 'selective' RPM upgrades - from 3.0.3 to 4.2 ??

Post by Linux Enthusia » Wed, 16 Jul 1997 04:00:00

We have a 3.0.3 system which we desire to upgrade. But - we would like
to do this by 'parts'. That is, we cannot at this time perform a
completely new install of 4.2 (for several reasons). So, can we upgrade
the RPM package manager itself, and then proceed to upgrade select rpm
programs? If we can do this (even with caveats), it would be greatly to
our advantage at this time.

Big thanks for any advice!

Brett

Post by Frank Sweetse » Wed, 16 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> We have a 3.0.3 system which we desire to upgrade. But - we would like
> to do this by 'parts'. That is, we cannot at this time perform a
> completely new install of 4.2 (for several reasons). So, can we upgrade
> the RPM package manager itself, and then proceed to upgrade select rpm
> programs? If we can do this (even with caveats), it would be greatly to
> our advantage at this time.

Well, just in case you weren't aware, the redhat install procedure will
allow you to do and upgrade instead of a full reinstall.  If an hour or two
of downtime isn't the issue, this is probably your best choice.

--
Windows: I can play Doom!              |RedHat Linux 2.0.31pre-2 i486
Linux: I can be a file server, be a Web|Because reboots are for upgrades!

Can I do 'selective' RPM upgrades - from 3.0.3 to 4.2 ??

Post by |ecame.. » Thu, 17 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>We have a 3.0.3 system which we desire to upgrade. But - we would like
>to do this by 'parts'. That is, we cannot at this time perform a

doing things by 'parts' is the same as doing things half assed and
will cause more trouble than you can suspect.  best bet is to get a
copy of the most current distribution and follow the upgrade
instructions that come with it.  Then your system is upgraded once and
for all.  Takes about an hour to do this.

Quote:>completely new install of 4.2 (for several reasons). So, can we upgrade
>the RPM package manager itself, and then proceed to upgrade select rpm
>programs? If we can do this (even with caveats), it would be greatly to
>our advantage at this time.

>Big thanks for any advice!

>Brett

Notice the lack of a PGP key.
I have car keys, house keys, and an old trunk key, but NO PGP
key.  I'll leave such things to the paranoid and neurotic people
amongst the populace.

Can I do 'selective' RPM upgrades - from 3.0.3 to 4.2 ??

Post by Wilhelm Wieneman » Fri, 18 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hello!

Quote:> We have a 3.0.3 system which we desire to upgrade. But - we would like
> to do this by 'parts'. That is, we cannot at this time perform a
> completely new install of 4.2 (for several reasons).
> So, can we upgrade the RPM package manager itself, and then proceed
> to upgrade select rpm programs?

Which version of 'RPM' is on your System (rpm --version)?

Quote:> If we can do this (even with caveats), it would be greatly to
> our advantage at this time.

You have to do it in the following steps:

1.      If you are upgrading to RPM 2.4.* from RPM 2.0.*, you must
        first upgrade to RPM 2.1.2.

2.      Then you can upgrade to the current version. If you get
        unresolved dependencies, you have to upgrade it with the
        '--nodeps' option.

ciao - Wilhelm

--

Quote:>>>>>>>>> Wilhelm Wienemann, Amselweg 10, D-47546 Kalkar/Germany <<<<<<<<<

"And since you are the future keepers of everything, including music, we
 hope you will keep it well, with love, and in joy." (Frederick Fennell)

Post by John Summerfie » Mon, 21 Jul 1997 04:00:00

]>We have a 3.0.3 system which we desire to upgrade. But - we would like
]>to do this by 'parts'. That is, we cannot at this time perform a

]doing things by 'parts' is the same as doing things half assed and
]will cause more trouble than you can suspect.  best bet is to get a
]copy of the most current distribution and follow the upgrade
]instructions that come with it.  Then your system is upgraded once and
]for all.  Takes about an hour to do this.

OTOH I did an upgrade from 3.0.3 and got my system somewhat broken. I have
    a SVGA chip which wasn't supported with anything in 3.0.3 and had been
    running betas of xfree so I could get a working server (after careful
    thought) for my trident 9680.

After upgrading to 4.0 XFree was more confused than ever and declined to
    run (the new server STILL didn't know the trident).

Even now the kernel swears at me whenever APM cuts in.

Cheers
John Summerfield
Perth, Western Australia
OS2 support, IBM ftp search, LAN configuration info

Post by Jim Kuszni » Wed, 30 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> >We have a 3.0.3 system which we desire to upgrade. But - we would like
> >to do this by 'parts'. That is, we cannot at this time perform a

> doing things by 'parts' is the same as doing things half assed and
> will cause more trouble than you can suspect.  best bet is to get a
> copy of the most current distribution and follow the upgrade
> instructions that come with it.  Then your system is upgraded once and
> for all.  Takes about an hour to do this.

> >completely new install of 4.2 (for several reasons). So, can we upgrade
> >the RPM package manager itself, and then proceed to upgrade select rpm
> >programs? If we can do this (even with caveats), it would be greatly to
> >our advantage at this time.

I have a similar problem.  I only have RedHat 4.1 on disk, but wanted
(needed) to upgrade to 4.2.  Unfortunately, I only have a dialup PPP
connect to the internet.  I tried to manually setup a ppp interface while
the installer was running but failed.  Lastly, I attempted a 'manual'
upgrade, upgrading each rpm package, one at a time. Things seem to work
acceptibly, except for one thing.  The kernal still thinks is is a 2.0.27,
even though I downloaded the new kernal src rpm and built a new kernal.

In fact, on login, it says "RedHat 4.2" but on th enext line, it says
"kernal 2.0.27"

Is there any way to either:
perform the upgrade with the installer over a ppp link or
fix the kernal version reporting problem.
This is causing many problems, including the failure to load kernal
modules since they reside in the 2.0.30 directory while whenever I attempt
to load a module, it fails since it trys to load it from 2.0.27.

Any help/recomendations would be appreaciated....

-----

RidgeNET Tech Support
371-3501

Post by Frank Sweetse » Wed, 30 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> acceptibly, except for one thing.  The kernal still thinks is is a 2.0.27,
> even though I downloaded the new kernal src rpm and built a new kernal.

> In fact, on login, it says "RedHat 4.2" but on th enext line, it says
> "kernal 2.0.27"

Your new updated kernel image is sitting in /vmlinuz, while lilo is looking
for /boot/vmlinuz  as redhat seems to have forgotten to change the Makefile
to install the kernel image in the right place.  Just mv /vmlinuz
/boot/vmlinuz, lilo, and reboot.

--

Post by Marco van Neerb » Wed, 30 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>> acceptibly, except for one thing.  The kernal still thinks is is a =
2.0.27,
>> even though I downloaded the new kernal src rpm and built a new =
kernal.
>>=20
>> In fact, on login, it says "RedHat 4.2" but on th enext line, it says
>> "kernal 2.0.27"

>Your new updated kernel image is sitting in /vmlinuz, while lilo is =
looking
>for /boot/vmlinuz  as redhat seems to have forgotten to change the =
Makefile
>to install the kernel image in the right place.  Just mv /vmlinuz
>/boot/vmlinuz, lilo, and reboot.

Why not change the Makefile in /usr/src/linux ? Do a make zlilo and
your all set.

---
Marco van Neerbos            Breukelen

Post by h.hu.. » Thu, 31 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>> >We have a 3.0.3 system which we desire to upgrade. But - we would like
>> >to do this by 'parts'. That is, we cannot at this time perform a

>> doing things by 'parts' is the same as doing things half assed and
>> will cause more trouble than you can suspect.  best bet is to get a
>> copy of the most current distribution and follow the upgrade
>> instructions that come with it.  Then your system is upgraded once and
>> for all.  Takes about an hour to do this.

>> >completely new install of 4.2 (for several reasons). So, can we upgrade
>> >the RPM package manager itself, and then proceed to upgrade select rpm
>> >programs? If we can do this (even with caveats), it would be greatly to
>> >our advantage at this time.

> I have a similar problem.  I only have RedHat 4.1 on disk, but wanted
> (needed) to upgrade to 4.2.  Unfortunately, I only have a dialup PPP
> connect to the internet.  I tried to manually setup a ppp interface while
> the installer was running but failed.  Lastly, I attempted a 'manual'
> upgrade, upgrading each rpm package, one at a time. Things seem to work
> acceptibly, except for one thing.  The kernal still thinks is is a 2.0.27,
> even though I downloaded the new kernal src rpm and built a new kernal.

> In fact, on login, it says "RedHat 4.2" but on th enext line, it says
> "kernal 2.0.27"

> Is there any way to either:
> perform the upgrade with the installer over a ppp link or
> fix the kernal version reporting problem.
> This is causing many problems, including the failure to load kernal
> modules since they reside in the 2.0.30 directory while whenever I attempt
> to load a module, it fails since it trys to load it from 2.0.27.

> Any help/recomendations would be appreaciated....

Doing above is peace of cake in Debian.
Install and Upgrade (whether partly or completely) extremely friendly over
internet (ppp, ethernet or whatever).
This is the chief reason that I choose Debian over Redhat.

Post by |ecame.. » Thu, 31 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>>> >We have a 3.0.3 system which we desire to upgrade. But - we would like

>>> doing things by 'parts' is the same as doing things half assed and
>>> will cause more trouble than you can suspect.  best bet is to get a
>>> copy of the most current distribution and follow the upgrade
>>> instructions that come with it.  Then your system is upgraded once and
>>> for all.  Takes about an hour to do this.

>> I have a similar problem.  I only have RedHat 4.1 on disk, but wanted
>> (needed) to upgrade to 4.2.  Unfortunately, I only have a dialup PPP
>> connect to the internet.  I tried to manually setup a ppp interface while
>> the installer was running but failed.  Lastly, I attempted a 'manual'
>> upgrade, upgrading each rpm package, one at a time. Things seem to work
>> acceptibly, except for one thing.  The kernal still thinks is is a 2.0.27,
>> even though I downloaded the new kernal src rpm and built a new kernal.

>> In fact, on login, it says "RedHat 4.2" but on th enext line, it says
>> "kernal 2.0.27"

>> Is there any way to either:
>> perform the upgrade with the installer over a ppp link or
>> fix the kernal version reporting problem.
>> This is causing many problems, including the failure to load kernal
>> modules since they reside in the 2.0.30 directory while whenever I attempt
>> to load a module, it fails since it trys to load it from 2.0.27.

>> Any help/recomendations would be appreaciated....

>Doing above is peace of cake in Debian.
>Install and Upgrade (whether partly or completely) extremely friendly over
>internet (ppp, ethernet or whatever).
>This is the chief reason that I choose Debian over Redhat.

It has NOTHING to do with distributions.  NADA damn thing.  The
original post indicated that the user couldn't take the time to
upgrade the system all at once.  3.0.3 is OLD.  I think it is a 1.2.x
kernel and things have changed drastically since then.  Hence,
upgrading in 'parts' is both foolish and stupid. You are just asking
for a major shutdown at that point and by the time you figure out what
caused it, you could have done a full upgrade/install.

Notice the lack of a PGP key.
I have car keys, house keys, and an old trunk key, but NO PGP
key.  I'll leave such things to the paranoid and neurotic people
amongst the populace.

Can I do 'selective' RPM upgrades - from 3.0.3 to 4.2 ??

Post by M. J » Thu, 31 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>It has NOTHING to do with distributions.  NADA damn thing.  The
>original post indicated that the user couldn't take the time to
>upgrade the system all at once.  3.0.3 is OLD.  I think it is a 1.2.x
>kernel and things have changed drastically since then.  Hence,
>upgrading in 'parts' is both foolish and stupid. You are just asking
>for a major shutdown at that point and by the time you figure out what
>caused it, you could have done a full upgrade/install.

Upgrading the base system is a snap with package managers like RPM.  I've
been doing small incremental upgrades for years.  I've never done a full
upgrade/install, except when I switched from Slackware to Redhat.

Upgrading has everything to do with package managers.

As for full upgrades/installs:  That seems like the Microsoft or
newbie solution to all your problems.  I guess when people have enough
technical knowledge to be comfortable with their systems, they stay away
from something so drastic.  Also, where ever I worked, we never did whole
sale upgrades of our workstation (Sun & HP) software; only
small incremental patches and updates.  Having our systems up and running
was paramount: down time affected too many people.  If you aren't using
your system for critical applications, then I guess full upgrades are
justified.

You have to agree that reinstalling everything doesn't take much in the
way of brain work.

Mark

Can I do 'selective' RPM upgrades - from 3.0.3 to 4.2 ??

Post by Peter G. Marti » Thu, 07 Aug 1997 04:00:00

[snip]... (problem with upgrade and kernel...)

Quote:

> I have a similar problem.  I only have RedHat 4.1 on disk, but wanted
> (needed) to upgrade to 4.2.  Unfortunately, I only have a dialup PPP
> connect to the internet.  I tried to manually setup a ppp interface while
> the installer was running but failed.  Lastly, I attempted a 'manual'
> upgrade, upgrading each rpm package, one at a time. Things seem to work
> acceptibly, except for one thing.  The kernal still thinks is is a 2.0.27,
> even though I downloaded the new kernal src rpm and built a new kernal.

> In fact, on login, it says "RedHat 4.2" but on th enext line, it says
> "kernal 2.0.27"

> Is there any way to either:
> perform the upgrade with the installer over a ppp link or
> fix the kernal version reporting problem.
> This is causing many problems, including the failure to load kernal
> modules since they reside in the 2.0.30 directory while whenever I attempt
> to load a module, it fails since it trys to load it from 2.0.27.

> Any help/recomendations would be appreaciated....

You +did+ do a lilo reinstall didn't you ?  With the new
kernel in the required position ?

Sure, you did....
-- peterm

Can I do 'selective' RPM upgrades - from 3.0.3 to 4.2 ??

Post by Wilson Wang Shun Leu » Sat, 09 Aug 1997 04:00:00

: >
[...]

How about recompile your kernel?  Would that do it?

1. RedHat 4.2 'rpm' whoo's

Hello,

In an attempt to move from kernel 2.0.30 to 2.0.31 on RedHat  rpm as
ended up in a 'mixed' state. The master or control lib thinks the rpm is
installed, however the directory is backed up to 2.0.30. Attempts to
unload result in the massage ... not loaded. Attempts to load the rom
file result in the message ... loaded.

In this state rpm won't do anything. How can it be 'cleared' back to a
state where the source can again be laoded?

Thanks.

Dan

2. Please help networking with a Win2K machine.

3. FreeBSD 4.2 won't boot - 'read error' on boot after install

4. Help with analyzing a memory dump

5. rpm upgraded - kpackage won't read packages.rpm

6. SLIP lousy performance, why?

7. RPM won't upgrade RPM!

8. HP deskjet 870 Cse printing problems

9. ACL's gone after 4.2 upgrade

10. AIX 4.2, kanji fonts, and font 'k14'.

11. AIX 4.2 and C 'system' calls

12. rpm: not found 'packages.rpm'

13. RPM doesn't create any RPM's