Netscape 3b4 is really slow

Post by R Kan » Mon, 24 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I have Slackware 3.0 installed from the Infomagic Developers Kit 96.
When I tried running Netscape it was really slow, it took around 20-30
seconds just to start up. My system is a P90 with 8Mb ram 540 HD and
16 Mb swap. I am now considering adding an extra 16Mb of ram, would
this addition make a big increase or is there anything else I could
do?

Thanks

Netscape 3b4 is really slow

Post by David Efflan » Thu, 27 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>I have Slackware 3.0 installed from the Infomagic Developers Kit 96.
>When I tried running Netscape it was really slow, it took around 20-30
>seconds just to start up. My system is a P90 with 8Mb ram 540 HD and
>16 Mb swap. I am now considering adding an extra 16Mb of ram, would
>this addition make a big increase or is there anything else I could
>do?

>Thanks

You don't know what slow is.  How about 1.5 minutes on a 486DRx2/66
(Cyrix 386/33 upgrade), same ram and hard drive (I ELF'ed my 540).
Everything else flies in Linux, but not Netscape.

David Efflandt/Elgin, IL USA

Netscape 3b4 is really slow

Post by Joachim Pauli » Thu, 27 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I have Slackware 3.0 installed from the Infomagic Developers Kit 96.
>When I tried running Netscape it was really slow, it took around 20-30
>seconds just to start up. My system is a P90 with 8Mb ram 540 HD and
>16 Mb swap. I am now considering adding an extra 16Mb of ram, would
>this addition make a big increase or is there anything else I could
>do?

>Thanks

It's definetly your RAM size which slows down netscape. A computer
with 8 MB RAM is castrated since it has to swap memory contents onto disk
with memory intensive programs like netscape.

Even if your programs don't need all of your RAM, it is not wasted.
Linux uses RAM which is not occupied by user programs as buffer cache,
which speeds up disk operations.

I would recommend at least 32 MB as a sensible amount of RAM, In practice
this will give you more performance than higher clockspeed with less memory.

Ciao
--
Joachim Paulini                  | Institut fuer Theoretische Physik

1. Really, really slow connection to local server via PPP.

Well, this is puzzling--

I've been scratching my head over this for months, reading docs, looking
for non-existent IRQ conflicts because I *thought* I had a problem with
my PCMCIA and/or PPP setup. Just realized that the problem is specific
to *one server*--which happens to be the one I access the most.

* the problem server is in my local domain. It's the one where I have a
shell account (which I often use--or try to use--to ftp stuff back and
forth between home & office), and it's also the primary DNS and the mail
server for the domain.

* the server is an AIX machine which seems up to its job (it's only gone
down once in my 2 years here). When I access it from my office via an
ethernet connection, everything works fine. I can download a multi-meg
file in seconds.

* when I access the net through my PPP connection from home (using a
28.8k PCMCIA modem, dynamic IP addressing), I get reasonable speeds for
http & ftp servers outside the local domain . . . well, slow, but
consistent with what I get in the office.

* when I access this one local server, FTP is mind-numbingly slow (<100
bytes/second!) and I often can't complete a large transfer. Similarly,
if I try to get my mail, it's very slow and tends to stall if there are
a lot of messages.

Any ideas what's causing this? Thanks for any info.

Matt Gushee
Oshamanbe, Hokkaido, Japan

2. svgalib killed my quake!

3. driver: DMA really really slow

4. SCO Gateway for Netware

5. Really, really slow login with Solaris 2.5

6. SMBFS-2.0.2 on RH 5.0 (was Re: make error on RH 5.0)

7. SCO 5.0.2 NSF is slow - VERY slow What am I doing wrong??

8. KDE on AIX 5.1 L

9. NFS really slow (too slow!)

10. I am the most useless dicklicker that you can find on usenet , really.

11. I must be really bored if I am responding to this spam

12. How secure am I really??

13. Am I really being hosted by a 386