Linux and the OS/2 Boot Manager

Post by Martin J. Loll » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I have tried to boot Linux using the OS/2 Boot Manager that came packaged with
Partition Magic.  When I do, I get the message, 'Partition is not formatted',
so I obviously have some fundamental misunderstanding about how to set it up
properly.  I am trying to dual-boot with Win95B (OS2/2 release), and am tired
of booting from floppy and don't want to use loadlin from DOS.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?  Any help or ideas would be
appreciated.

mjl

Post by Sander de Graa » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> I have tried to boot Linux using the OS/2 Boot Manager that came packaged with
> Partition Magic.  When I do, I get the message, 'Partition is not formatted',
> so I obviously have some fundamental misunderstanding about how to set it up
> properly.  I am trying to dual-boot with Win95B (OS2/2 release), and am tired
> of booting from floppy and don't want to use loadlin from DOS.

> Can anyone shed any light on this for me?  Any help or ideas would be
> appreciated.

> mjl

I've the thing you want running fabulously...

Okay, here's the trick (?)
You create an empty partition with OS/2 Fdisk. And put that in
BootMenu. You can see the partition in DOS, and format it (I'm not
sure if this has to). You create Linux Bootfloppies. And boot from them.
With Linux' Fdisk you can see all partitions; you'll have to get the
right one mounted. (I did this by copying (in dos) a file to it: Some-
thing to indicate that this is the right partition.) Once I've mounted
it, I installed Lilo on it, with directly boots Linux. Now, when you
select Linux from BootMenu Linux instantly starts.

  I hope this solves you're problem...

- I have installed Linux just last monday (about march 10). So I
don't know anything more (a friend even helped me).

    Greets Sander

Linux and the OS/2 Boot Manager

Post by roo » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Normally you add partitions to Boot Manager using the OS/2 fdisk utility,
I have DOS, Linux and 2 OS/2's on mine. How did you install Boot Manager,
from a PM utility? Also make sure LILO is installed in your Linux partition
boot record (NOT the MBR!!). BM will boot LILO which starts Linux.

hth
Robin.

Post by Perry Gri » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> I have tried to boot Linux using the OS/2 Boot Manager that came packaged
> with Partition Magic.  When I do, I get the message, 'Partition is not
> formatted', so I obviously have some fundamental misunderstanding about
> how to set it up properly.  I am trying to dual-boot with Win95B (OS2/2
> release), and am tired of booting from floppy and don't want to use loadlin
> from DOS.

> Can anyone shed any light on this for me?  Any help or ideas would be
> appreciated.

> mjl

I never used Partition Magic, but last time I installed
OS/2 and linux, you needed to create the linux partition(s)
with the OS/2 fdisk in order to boot them with the boot
manager.  Linux fdisk could then be used to change the
partition type after the partitions were already there.

Perry

Linux and the OS/2 Boot Manager

Post by Rod Smi » Fri, 14 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I have tried to boot Linux using the OS/2 Boot Manager that came packaged with
>Partition Magic.  When I do, I get the message, 'Partition is not formatted',
>so I obviously have some fundamental misunderstanding about how to set it up
>properly.  I am trying to dual-boot with Win95B (OS2/2 release), and am tired
>of booting from floppy and don't want to use loadlin from DOS.

You've gotten a couple of replies already that are incomplete or too
complete in one way or another.

First, the message you get is one that I've seen on Linux-formatted
partitions on which I haven't installed LILO.  To fix that problem, you'll
likely have to install LILO.  To do that, you'll need to boot Linux from a
floppy, create an /etc/lilo.conf file, and run lilo.  Be sure you set LILO
to install itself on the Linux boot partition, not on the Master Boot
Record (MBR) of the hard drive.  This is all described in any decent Linux
book, and probably one or more HOWTOs.

Second, somebody else said you'd need to create the partition in OS/2 and
format it there.  Given the error message you're getting, I don't think
that's necessary.  It sometimes is, due to what I assume to be a bug in
OS/2's FDISK, but it sounds like you've already added the Linux partition
to Boot Manager, and the bug which makes it necessary to format the
to-be-Linux partition from OS/2 would prevent this.  If all else fails,
you could revert back to trying this trick, though.

Third, another person was puzzled about how you're installing Boot Manager
from Partition Magic.  You obviously know this, but as I'm posting, I'll
mention that version 3.0 of Partition Magic includes a version of Boot
Manager licensed from IBM.  I don't know if it suffers from the bug I
described in the previous paragraph.  Since it's a different disk
partitioning program that installs and configures Boot Manager when it's
done from Partition Magic, I'd guess there's a good chance that that bug
doesn't exist in that case.

| Rod Smith                                 Author of:               |

| http://ezinfo.ucs.indiana.edu/~rodsmith   "OS/2 Soundcard Summary" |

Post by Dan Ambo » Fri, 14 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>=20
> I have tried to boot Linux using the OS/2 Boot Manager that came =
packaged with
> Partition Magic.  When I do, I get the message, 'Partition is not =
formatted',
> so I obviously have some fundamental misunderstanding about how to set =
it up
> properly.  I am trying to dual-boot with Win95B (OS2/2 release), and am=
 tired
> of booting from floppy and don't want to use loadlin from DOS.
>=20
> Can anyone shed any light on this for me?  Any help or ideas would be
> appreciated.
>=20
> mjl
>=20

I just install Lilo on the superblock of the Linux root partition.  Then
move your partitions around so that you have room at the beginning of =
your
primary drive for the boot manager.  The smallest partition Partition =
Magic
will make is 3.9 mb. Install the OS/2 boot manager there and that =
partition
should be active.  Then make your Linux partition bootable and give it a
name.  Do the same for your other partitions that you want to boot.  =
Works
for me.

Later...

Dan Amborn

http://www.geocities.com/~damborn/

Linux and the OS/2 Boot Manager

Post by Rod Smi » Fri, 14 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>The smallest partition Partition Magic will make is 3.9 mb.

This is only partly true; the smallest partition size will vary with the
CHS geometry mapping used on your system.  Specifically, most FDISK
programs (and for this discussion, Partition Magic is an FDISK program)
will only create partitions on cylinder boundaries.  With hard drives of
over 1GB and a modern BIOS that supports large EIDE drives, or most SCSI
systems, such a drive will be mapped so that each cylinder (as seen by the
BIOS) has more than 1MB of space.  On smaller hard drives, the cylinder
size will usually be less than 1MB.  The details vary from system to
system, depending on how the CHS mapping routines were written.

Post by Coli » Sat, 15 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>> I have tried to boot Linux using the OS/2 Boot Manager that came packaged
>> with Partition Magic.  When I do, I get the message, 'Partition is not
>> formatted', so I obviously have some fundamental misunderstanding about
>> how to set it up properly.  I am trying to dual-boot with Win95B (OS2/2
>> release), and am tired of booting from floppy and don't want to use loadlin
>> from DOS.

>I never used Partition Magic, but last time I installed
>OS/2 and linux, you needed to create the linux partition(s)
>with the OS/2 fdisk in order to boot them with the boot
>manager.  Linux fdisk could then be used to change the
>partition type after the partitions were already there.

Actually, it would be a little better if he used the DOS fdisk to create
the partitions because OS/2's fdisk partitions the disk a bit differently
and Linux's fdisk gives a warning if the partitioning was done with OS/2's
fdisk (it'll still work with OS/2 fdisk, but you won't get a warning with
DOS's or Linux's fdisk).

Post by D.F. Yriar » Sat, 15 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> Actually, it would be a little better if he used the DOS fdisk to create
> the partitions because OS/2's fdisk partitions the disk a bit differently
> and Linux's fdisk gives a warning if the partitioning was done with OS/2's
> fdisk (it'll still work with OS/2 fdisk, but you won't get a warning with
> DOS's or Linux's fdisk).

If you want OS/2 Boot Manager to boot both OS/2 and Linux and also DOS,
the approach that seems to work most reliably is to partition the drive
with OS/2 FDISK. Next, format the Linux partition-to-be with OS/2
FORMAT, it doesn't matter if you format the partitions for HPFS or FAT
because you will reformat it later, when you install Linux. Finally, add
the new partition from which you will boot Linux to the Boot Manager
menu with OS/2 FDISK.

Now install Linux to the partition. Use Linux FDISK to mark the
partition types for the Linux partion and Linux swap partition. Install
LILO to the superblock of the Linux partition, NOT to the Master Boot
Record (MBR) of the boot drive.

This procedure works reliably, even though Linux FDISK will complain
about partition boundries, and CFDISK may refuse to work with the drive.

This procedure will allow you to boot Linux from the first or second
physical drive of a system.

The step of formatting the partition with OS/2 FORMAT is not strictly
necessary with OS/2 Warp 3 or 4, but it helps insure that the partition
will be recognized reliably by Boot Manager.

-   Doug Yriart        http://www.vais.net/~dfyriart  -
-   Running on Linux                                  -

Post by Dave Cine » Sun, 16 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>> Actually, it would be a little better if he used the DOS fdisk to create
>> the partitions because OS/2's fdisk partitions the disk a bit differently
>> and Linux's fdisk gives a warning if the partitioning was done with OS/2's
>> fdisk (it'll still work with OS/2 fdisk, but you won't get a warning with
>> DOS's or Linux's fdisk).

I get no warnings at all. You must be using an Adaptec.

Quote:>If you want OS/2 Boot Manager to boot both OS/2 and Linux and also DOS,
>the approach that seems to work most reliably is to partition the drive
>with OS/2 FDISK. Next, format the Linux partition-to-be with OS/2
>FORMAT, it doesn't matter if you format the partitions for HPFS or FAT
>because you will reformat it later, when you install Linux. Finally, add
>the new partition from which you will boot Linux to the Boot Manager
>menu with OS/2 FDISK.

All you need to do is make the partition. I have noticed that I could make
partions with Linux and then add them to bootmanager, but I don't know why.
In the past I couldn't do this. I don't know if it is a difference between
OS/2 v3 and v4 or what.

Quote:>Now install Linux to the partition. Use Linux FDISK to mark the
>partition types for the Linux partion and Linux swap partition. Install
>LILO to the superblock of the Linux partition, NOT to the Master Boot
>Record (MBR) of the boot drive.

>This procedure works reliably, even though Linux FDISK will complain
>about partition boundries, and CFDISK may refuse to work with the drive.

You must also have an Adaptec. I've only seen stuff like that when working
on them, because they*with the geometry. I've never seen anything like
it on my DPT.

Dave 'Kill a Cop' Cinege  (aka Psychopath #3)  ---  Super Genius at Large
"Shelter me from the powder in the finger......Cover me from the thought
that pulled the trigger..."  Neil Young

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Libertarian Party 1-800-682-1776                http://www.veryComputer.com/

1. How can i use OS/2 Boot Manager for OS/2 & Linux???

--
/--------------------------------------------------------------/
            {___}
|            (_)            |         ISA srl
| My brain works with ...   |         VITERBO - ITALY
|                           |

|_______oooO_____Oooo_______|

         \_) | | (_/
____________\|w|,____________

/--------------------------------------------------------------/

2. HowTo: AIX/VSAM - Windows

3. Linux, OS/2, and Os/2's Boot Manager

4. MP on a Sparc 10

5. Booting LINUX from the OS/2 Boot manager

6. RAM

7. Multi-boot success with Windows 95, Windows NT 4, Linux, OS/2 boot manager

8. "DriveReady SeekComplete" problem while trying to set up mandrake NEED HELP!!!

9. Booting LINUX with OS/2 Boot Manager

10. Booting Linux with the OS/2 Boot Manager

11. How to boot Linux with OS/2 boot manager?

12. Boot Linux from SCSI (with OS/2 boot manager)

13. booting linux with OS/2 boot manager?