mount /mnt/cdrom ==> mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device

mount /mnt/cdrom ==> mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device

Post by noel » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello,

I'm in trouble again.   My cdrom on RH6.0 used to mount using command-line
or linuxconf.

Now suddenly its stopped working -   when I try to mount using  "mount
/mnt/cdrom"  I
get rebuffed with :

   #mount  /mnt/cdrom
     mount:  the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device
                    (maybe 'insmod driver'? )

# insmod iso9660
    insmod:  iso9660: no module by that name found.

Linuxconf tells me its mounted successfully but obviously is failing in the
background.

It is unfortunate for me that Linux is giving me these problems as I am only
a beginner
really.   sigh!

thanks for expert advice...
noel

Post by Todd Dunkir » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hello,

> I'm in trouble again.   My cdrom on RH6.0 used to mount using command-line
> or linuxconf.

> Now suddenly its stopped working -   when I try to mount using  "mount
> /mnt/cdrom"  I
> get rebuffed with :

>    #mount  /mnt/cdrom
>      mount:  the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device
>                     (maybe 'insmod driver'? )

> # insmod iso9660
>     insmod:  iso9660: no module by that name found.

> Linuxconf tells me its mounted successfully but obviously is failing in the
> background.

> It is unfortunate for me that Linux is giving me these problems as I am only
> a beginner
> really.   sigh!

> thanks for expert advice...
> noel

The name of the iso9660 filesystem module is "isofs.o", so try doing an
"insmod isofs" and see if the module gets loaded (cat /proc/modules or
/sbin/lsmod). If it does, then try to mount the cd. If the cd will not mount
even when the driver is loaded, the symlink from /dev/cdrom to /dev/XXXX
might need to be adjusted, based on the actual device file associated with
the cd device on your system (not likely, though). If you are using a stock
kernel supplied with redhat 6.0, check to see that isofs module exists; it
lives in /lib/modules/KERNEL_VERSION/fs. Also, check to see that
/etc/fstab is not somehow corrupted. The line for your cd should read
something like:

/dev/cdrom      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660     noauto,ro               0 0

Failing all that, it never hurts to reseat the IDE cables every so often. You
can check to see if the kernel actually saw the device at boot time with:

dmesg | less

....just scroll untill you find the section where the kernel probes the IDE
controller
and look for your cd device, something like:

hda: Maxtor 90845D4, ATA DISK drive
hdb: Maxtor 84320D4, ATA DISK drive
hdc: Memorex CR-622 ATAPI IDE CD-R, ATAPI CDROM drive
hdd: FX140S, ATAPI CDROM drive

Hope this helps.

Todd