HELP!: MOUSE IN TEXT-MODE!

Post by root » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'm a complete Linux-newbee and I can't figure out how to use the mouse
in text-mode with applications
such as MidnightCommander and RHIDE...
The mouse works fine with pulldown-menus when I run in XTerm....
But in text-only mode when I try starting
"gpm -t PS/2" or the "gpm start" thing in one of the /etc/ -sub-dirs, I
do get the mouse-cursor, and I am able to mark areas on the screen
etc... but that doesn't help me very much, since the text-applications
don't seem to recognice it, as no buttons, pull-downmenus or anything
works with the mouse...

I don't feel comfortable running my text-mode-applications under XTerm,
so I'd be greatfull if anyone could help me....
..and... I'm running RedHat 6.0 if that's important...

- L.F.M.

HELP!: MOUSE IN TEXT-MODE!

Post by Lew Pitch » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I'm a complete Linux-newbee and I can't figure out how to use the mouse
>in text-mode with applications
>such as MidnightCommander and RHIDE...
>The mouse works fine with pulldown-menus when I run in XTerm....
>But in text-only mode when I try starting
>"gpm -t PS/2" or the "gpm start" thing in one of the /etc/ -sub-dirs, I
>do get the mouse-cursor, and I am able to mark areas on the screen
>etc... but that doesn't help me very much, since the text-applications
>don't seem to recognice it, as no buttons, pull-downmenus or anything
>works with the mouse...

>I don't feel comfortable running my text-mode-applications under XTerm,
>so I'd be greatfull if anyone could help me....
>..and... I'm running RedHat 6.0 if that's important...

Use the mouse to highlight the text to copy

In the target application, use the mouse to place the cursor on the target text
line, and press the middle mouse button to paste

I don't believe that there is a 'cut' option.
There are no pulldown menus, etc for GPM operations.

Lew Pitcher
System Consultant
Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group