Can't Login

Post by Guy Geen » Fri, 23 May 1997 04:00:00

Russell> 1997 ... localhost login[385]: no shadow password for `russ'
Russell> on `ttyp2'

Russell>         Login denied. Shutdown in progress. Tue May 13
Russell> 12:57:06 PDT 1997 Connection closed by foreign host.

Russell> Now I know there is no shutdown in progress. What could be
Russell> the problem?

If there is a file /etc/nologin, remove it.
If not, there might be leftover /var/run/shutdown.pid file. Try
removing that too.

If the problem returns after a reboot, there is something wrong with
your setup. The problem might be caused by shutdown, login, init, or
one of your rc files.

--

Home Page: http://www.elis.rug.ac.be/~ggeens

1. It's not bad canned meat...

Thanks for your time.  We at I.S.P.O.T. (The International Society
for the Preservation Of Trees (URL http://www.local-touch.com/ISPOT/)) feel
that electronic messages are great for getting the word out while preserving
our friend the tree.  Anyway, please stop by our home page!

Thanks again!

SusieQ

2. Slackware 3.1, setup USED to work... now it doesn't!

3. Any good front end rapid GUI development systems out there?

4. "You must 'exec' login from the lowest login shell" - Problem !

5. Sendmail server reverse lookup

6. 'failed running login shell' no non-root user login possible

7. how do you uncompress zImage ?

8. Why "login='exec login'"?

9. Q : Digital Unix 4.0 login problem : 'No directory!' & 'No shell!'

10. What is the difference between 'login: root' and 'su -' ?

11. Where's Finger's 'last login' info stored?