Please help: network config (routing?) problems

Please help: network config (routing?) problems

Post by Zemo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,
   I've just installed LinuxPPC 2000 on my PowerMac 7500, and have made
setting up my net connection my first priority.  I have a cable modem
via my ethernet port, configured using DHCP.
   My problem is that I seem to get allocated an IP address just fine
(according to 'ifconfig') and when I ping my own IP I get fine results.
But pinging anything outside, including my ISP's name servers gets no
response at all.  The HOW-TOs I've read seem to indicate that this is a
routing problem.
   If so, I don't know how to set up routing properly.  The Routing tab
of 'netcfg' is blank.  I seem to get allocated an IP address at boot
time, though for some reason the name server addresses I had originally
specified become slightly different, so from what I understand, dhcpcd
or whatever it's called, is finding it's own name servers.
   Does any of this make sense to anyone? My conf files look the HOW-TO
files say they should, as does the result of the 'ifconfig' command.
But pinging (and everything else) just doesn't work.

Huge thanks in advance,
tony

Please help: network config (routing?) problems

Post by Zemo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

For further info, my ISP says that I am indeed being properly provided
an IP address, so the problem is not with DHCP, but would seem to an
internal routing problem.  How do I set this up?

> Hi,
>    I've just installed LinuxPPC 2000 on my PowerMac 7500, and have made
> setting up my net connection my first priority.  I have a cable modem
> via my ethernet port, configured using DHCP.
>    My problem is that I seem to get allocated an IP address just fine
> (according to 'ifconfig') and when I ping my own IP I get fine results.
> But pinging anything outside, including my ISP's name servers gets no
> response at all.  The HOW-TOs I've read seem to indicate that this is a
> routing problem.
>    If so, I don't know how to set up routing properly.  The Routing tab
> of 'netcfg' is blank.  I seem to get allocated an IP address at boot
> time, though for some reason the name server addresses I had originally
> specified become slightly different, so from what I understand, dhcpcd
> or whatever it's called, is finding it's own name servers.
>    Does any of this make sense to anyone? My conf files look the HOW-TO
> files say they should, as does the result of the 'ifconfig' command.
> But pinging (and everything else) just doesn't work.

> Huge thanks in advance,
> tony

Please help: network config (routing?) problems

Post by john_94.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Can you ping anything? For example, try pinging your cable modem's IP
address. Assuming they work the same way as DSL ones, it should have an
IP address, and that address is your gateway address.

Now, if that doesn't work check out the netmask settings for your
ethernet interface. If it does work, then you need to establish the
default route (check in /etc/sysconfig/network for a line starting
'GATEWAY=' or use a tool like linuxconf to set it).

Good luck,

John...

> For further info, my ISP says that I am indeed being properly provided
> an IP address, so the problem is not with DHCP, but would seem to an
> internal routing problem. How do I set this up?

> > Hi,
> > I've just installed LinuxPPC 2000 on my PowerMac 7500, and have made
> > setting up my net connection my first priority. I have a cable modem
> > via my ethernet port, configured using DHCP.
> > My problem is that I seem to get allocated an IP address just fine
> > (according to 'ifconfig') and when I ping my own IP I get fine
results.
> > But pinging anything outside, including my ISP's name servers gets
no
> > response at all. The HOW-TOs I've read seem to indicate that this is
> > routing problem.
> > If so, I don't know how to set up routing properly. The Routing tab
> > of 'netcfg' is blank. I seem to get allocated an IP address at boot
> > time, though for some reason the name server addresses I had
originally
> > specified become slightly different, so from what I understand,
dhcpcd
> > or whatever it's called, is finding it's own name servers.
> > Does any of this make sense to anyone? My conf files look the HOW-TO
> > files say they should, as does the result of the 'ifconfig' command.
> > But pinging (and everything else) just doesn't work.

> > Huge thanks in advance,
> > tony

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Please help: network config (routing?) problems

Post by Vincent DECOU » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,
did you find a solution.
I have exactly the same problem.
I can ping my DSL modem (10.0.0.138) but that's all.
When I type "route" + ENTER,
it says something like alcatel (that's my DSL modem) is the gateway
for 0.0.0.0 mask.
Does that make sense ?
Thanks

Vincent

> Hi,
>    I've just installed LinuxPPC 2000 on my PowerMac 7500, and have made
> setting up my net connection my first priority.  I have a cable modem
> via my ethernet port, configured using DHCP.
>    My problem is that I seem to get allocated an IP address just fine
> (according to 'ifconfig') and when I ping my own IP I get fine results.
> But pinging anything outside, including my ISP's name servers gets no
> response at all.  The HOW-TOs I've read seem to indicate that this is a
> routing problem.
>    If so, I don't know how to set up routing properly.  The Routing tab
> of 'netcfg' is blank.  I seem to get allocated an IP address at boot
> time, though for some reason the name server addresses I had originally
> specified become slightly different, so from what I understand, dhcpcd
> or whatever it's called, is finding it's own name servers.
>    Does any of this make sense to anyone? My conf files look the HOW-TO
> files say they should, as does the result of the 'ifconfig' command.
> But pinging (and everything else) just doesn't work.

> Huge thanks in advance,
> tony

Please help: network config (routing?) problems

Post by nabb.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

What does your ifconfig look like? you see  eth0?

my gateway is adsl (from pacbell), so my ifconfig has this line in it:

Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
default         adsl-216-101-23 0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

The routing table also has a line for network that your host is on. Assume
your IP address is 216.101.50.20, then you need a line

Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
216.101.50.0   *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0

To add a default route use the command

#route add default gw 216.101.50.254

Where the above IP address is the IP address of your default gateway
which is given to you by your ISP.

why not use some of the GUI tools to config your network? it might be easier
for you. use yast on suse, or some of the other GUI config tools on other
linuxes.

Nasser

Post by Tim Kelle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hi,
> did you find a solution.
> I have exactly the same problem.
> I can ping my DSL modem (10.0.0.138) but that's all.
> When I type "route" + ENTER,
> it says something like alcatel (that's my DSL modem) is the gateway
> for 0.0.0.0 mask.
> Does that make sense ?

I don't have an answer, but typically the default route is picked
up from the dhcp server along with the ip address.  If this is
some proprietary windows only *we need to know!

You shouldn't be having that problem ... if you have windows
check and see what your default gateway is, then you can add by

route add default gw [ip address of gateway]
--
Tim Kelley

Please help: network config (routing?) problems

Post by Ricardo Jam » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Did you already setup a default gateway?  if not then that might be
the problem.  try the following command, check the man page if it
doesn't work I'm not 100% sure with the syntax.
$ route add default gw your-gateway-ip-addr

>Hi,
>did you find a solution.
>I have exactly the same problem.
>I can ping my DSL modem (10.0.0.138) but that's all.
>When I type "route" + ENTER,
>it says something like alcatel (that's my DSL modem) is the gateway
>for 0.0.0.0 mask.
>Does that make sense ?
>Thanks

>Vincent

>> Hi,
>>    I've just installed LinuxPPC 2000 on my PowerMac 7500, and have made
>> setting up my net connection my first priority.  I have a cable modem
>> via my ethernet port, configured using DHCP.
>>    My problem is that I seem to get allocated an IP address just fine
>> (according to 'ifconfig') and when I ping my own IP I get fine results.
>> But pinging anything outside, including my ISP's name servers gets no
>> response at all.  The HOW-TOs I've read seem to indicate that this is a
>> routing problem.
>>    If so, I don't know how to set up routing properly.  The Routing tab
>> of 'netcfg' is blank.  I seem to get allocated an IP address at boot
>> time, though for some reason the name server addresses I had originally
>> specified become slightly different, so from what I understand, dhcpcd
>> or whatever it's called, is finding it's own name servers.
>>    Does any of this make sense to anyone? My conf files look the HOW-TO
>> files say they should, as does the result of the 'ifconfig' command.
>> But pinging (and everything else) just doesn't work.

>> Huge thanks in advance,
>> tony

Ricardo Jamin

www.jps.net/klinsi/main/

1. Please help: Problem with net config (routing?)

[...]

2. connect to ms access or ms sql server ???

3. Please HELP getting my network on the internet (ethernet, dhcpcd, route and ifconfig problems)

4. $DISPLAY

5. PLEASE HELP ! network setup / routing problem

6. Easy network switching

7. Gnome config problems - please, please help.......

8. Lock up loading CSLIP ??

9. lpr network config, PLEASE HELP!

10. R5 - please help - network config, etc.

11. Please help with Network Time Protocol config...

12. network config; Please Help!