REDHAT 6.0 wont INSTALL - DELL 410 WORKSTATION w/ SCSI AIC-7890

REDHAT 6.0 wont INSTALL - DELL 410 WORKSTATION w/ SCSI AIC-7890

Post by i.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

PLATFORM
========

Yeah, I got a DELL 410 WORKSTATION that has (2) 550MHz processors,
512MB RAM, (2) IBM ULTRASTOR 18GB Drives and a 9GB EIDE drive.  The
SCSI on the motherboard is controlled by ADAPTEC AIC-7890 for the
fast wide stuff (I think they call it SCSI-3/LVD or whatever) and it
also has an ADAPTEC AIC-7880 for the other (2) SCSI cdrom drives, and
a tape drive.  NT4 is installed and see the other disks fine.

PROBLEM
=======

Now I WANT REDHAT 6 Linux on this machine... When I try to install from
cdrom, RH hangs during "Setup SCSI - Scanning Adaptec 2740,2840, 2940 SCSI
bus..."

QUESTION
========

Now what?  I cannot build a new kernel unless I can at least install the
software.  I have install RH6 on many other DELL machine in the past and
have never seen the installation just hang.  Could it be a multi-processor
problem?  Could it be a SCSI driver problem?   How do I work around?
Please help, I am stumped.

--

Chris Stuber (mapsurfer)

REDHAT 6.0 wont INSTALL - DELL 410 WORKSTATION w/ SCSI AIC-7890

Post by Paul M. Jacobso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I had the same problem.  I downloaded a 6.1 ISO and the problem went away.
I was able to install with no problems.

> PLATFORM
> ========

> Yeah, I got a DELL 410 WORKSTATION that has (2) 550MHz processors,
> 512MB RAM, (2) IBM ULTRASTOR 18GB Drives and a 9GB EIDE drive.  The
> SCSI on the motherboard is controlled by ADAPTEC AIC-7890 for the
> fast wide stuff (I think they call it SCSI-3/LVD or whatever) and it
> also has an ADAPTEC AIC-7880 for the other (2) SCSI cdrom drives, and
> a tape drive.  NT4 is installed and see the other disks fine.

> PROBLEM
> =======

> Now I WANT REDHAT 6 Linux on this machine... When I try to install from
> cdrom, RH hangs during "Setup SCSI - Scanning Adaptec 2740,2840, 2940 SCSI
> bus..."

> QUESTION
> ========

> Now what?  I cannot build a new kernel unless I can at least install the
> software.  I have install RH6 on many other DELL machine in the past and
> have never seen the installation just hang.  Could it be a multi-processor
> problem?  Could it be a SCSI driver problem?   How do I work around?
> Please help, I am stumped.

> --

> Chris Stuber (mapsurfer)

REDHAT 6.0 wont INSTALL - DELL 410 WORKSTATION w/ SCSI AIC-7890

Post by QuestionExchang » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> PROBLEM
> =======

> Now I WANT REDHAT 6 Linux on this machine... When I try to
install from
> cdrom, RH hangs during "Setup SCSI - Scanning Adaptec

2740,2840, 2940 SCSI
Quote:> bus..."

When you boot the machine for an install, you get the splash
screen saying "do you want to install or upgrade, etc...".
Just pressing enter gets you the default install script, but if
you type in expert and hit return, RedHat will do less probing
of your machine and allow you to tell it what you have for
hardware.  I have not tried to install on a system with that
particular Adaptec AIC so I am not sure if it is supported (if
not you can always upgrade to RedHat 6.1), but it is worth a
try.  Your may have to supply the card model that uses that AIC
(2940U2W) in order to get it to work.
Terry

==========MODIFIED=========
10/22/99 1:43 AM
===========================
I just spotted on the RedHat site under the updates for version
6.0 that there are some updated install diskettes to aide in
the installation on a system with AIC 7xxx SCSI adapters.  Here
is the link:
http://www.redhat.com/corp/support/errata/RHEA1999036_01.html
Good Luck.
Terry

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com
  http://www.questionexchange.com/showUsenetGuest.jhtml?ans_id=6121&cus...

1. Adaptec 7890 on Dell Workstation 410

I am planning to buy a Dell workstation 410 which has a SCSI controller
built onto the motherboard.   It is an Adaptec 7890.

Has anyone got one of these SCSI controllers working or know if they are
supported under FreeBSD?

Cheers,

Stewart Fallis

==============================

2. Sun Cluster 2.2/Oracle HA error

3. Redhat 5.2 and AIC-7890 SCSI

4. /proc file

5. AIC-7890 & Installing redhat 5.1

6. help with diff

7. Adaptec AIC-7890/60 and RedHat 5.2 boot/install solution

8. Detecting file reads

9. install prob on dell precision 410 workstation

10. AIC 7890 RedHat 6.0 Problem

11. AIC-7890 (U2W-SCSI)

12. Problem with AIC-7890 SCSI controller

13. Help! Adaptec AIC-7890 SCSI Card