Newbie Kernel Config Question

Post by Barry Nelso » Sat, 09 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Hi All!

I just bought the Slackware 3.2 distribution of Linux 2.0.29 for my home
computer.  I've installed it on my second hard drive.  I want to
configure Linux eventually to dial up my local ISP and surf with the
Linux version of Netscape. (Why do people climb mountains? :-)
I keep getting these error messages.

Updating modules dependencies for Linux 2.0.29
  Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.0.29/misc/appletalk.o
  Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.0.29/misc/ipx.o
  Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.0.29/block/linear.o
  Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.0.29/block/raid.o

What am I doing wrong?  I'm saying no to appletalk and ipx support,
 and no to ethernet when I am configuring.

Any help anybody can provide would be appreciated.

Post by Ken McCor » Sat, 09 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> Hi All!

> I just bought the Slackware 3.2 distribution of Linux 2.0.29 for my home
> computer.  I've installed it on my second hard drive.  I want to
> configure Linux eventually to dial up my local ISP and surf with the
> Linux version of Netscape. (Why do people climb mountains? :-)
> I keep getting these error messages.

> Updating modules dependencies for Linux 2.0.29
>   Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.0.29/misc/appletalk.o
>   Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.0.29/misc/ipx.o
>   Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.0.29/block/linear.o
>   Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.0.29/block/raid.o

> What am I doing wrong?  I'm saying no to appletalk and ipx support,
>  and no to ethernet when I am configuring.

> Any help anybody can provide would be appreciated.

Here's what Red Hat recommends when you recompile the kernel, it may be
applicable to Slackware with *minor* changes.

When recompling the kernel, add the following steps (the ones with the *
in front of them):

.
.
.
make boot (or make zImage)
make modules
* rm -rf /lib/modules/2.0.29-old (or use whatever kernel version
applies)
* mv /lib/modules/2.0.29 /lib/modules/2.0.29-old
make modules_install
.
.
.

Now if you get the message:

modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-4
modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-5

Edit the file /etc/conf/modules (or create it if it doesn't exist), and
put this in it:

alias net-pf-4 off
alias net-pf-5 off

Hope this helps!

Ken

1. Newbie Kernel Config Question

Hello,
I need to know what is the difference between the following commands.
make
make boot
make zImage
make bzImage
I have tried to reconfigure my RH6.0 kernel and I get a kernel that is
4K bytes in size (and of course it doesn't work). These are the commands
I used, make mrproper, make clean, make xconfig, make (all of the
commands listed above), make dep, make modules, make install_modules.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks Steve

2. unable to CHMOD files...

3. Newbie question: existing kernel -> .config?

4. Strobe Software : I can't compile it !!!

5. kernel 'make config' newbie question

6. lp_service

7. BSD newbie need help with kernel config

8. a couple hotspot errors

9. Kernel compile question. (another newbie question)

10. newbie kernel config....

11. Newbie hardware config. question.

12. Newbie Ether Config Question

13. Newbie question - Dual NIC config?