Where to boot from???

Post by Stua » Mon, 07 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Trying to get things sorted out in my head before proceeding with
installation.

I'm planning on using a SCSI drive to install to (Redhat 5.1).  I know
now that I need to have this drive as first (id 0 or 1) on the chain,
if I want to boot from this disk that is.
Since I'd prefer not to change the id on the drive what other options
do I have?

My preference would be a boot floppy.  Not sure if I totally
understand what that means outside of I can avoid using LILO.  I
prefer as I'm running Win95 to leave the system alone (as opposed to a
dual boot) and just use a floppy for linux.

If I can boot from a floppy does /root still go on the hard disk or
the floppy? (this maybe a stupid question)

Thanks
Stuart

Where to boot from???

Post by James M. Roger » Mon, 07 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Trying to get things sorted out in my head before proceeding with
> installation.

> I'm planning on using a SCSI drive to install to (Redhat 5.1).  I know
> now that I need to have this drive as first (id 0 or 1) on the chain,
> if I want to boot from this disk that is.
> Since I'd prefer not to change the id on the drive what other options
> do I have?

> My preference would be a boot floppy.  Not sure if I totally
> understand what that means outside of I can avoid using LILO.  I
> prefer as I'm running Win95 to leave the system alone (as opposed to a
> dual boot) and just use a floppy for linux.

> If I can boot from a floppy does /root still go on the hard disk or
> the floppy? (this maybe a stupid question)

> Thanks
> Stuart

 I have booted from floppy for years and have had every few problems.
Install linux according to the distribution instructions.   Ensure that
you create a boot disk for emergency purposes, don't install lilo and
that is all there is to it.

Reboot with the floppy in the drive and the floppy set to be the first
boot device and you will boot up into linux.  When you create a new
kernel be sure and `make zdisk`  in order to write a new boot disk (and
make sure that you don't replace your first boot disk until you are sure
that the new one works).

1. diskless boot hit error while booting kernel, cannot find boot device, dhcp problem?

Hi people, wonder if you could help me on this:

i have two redhat 7.1 machine, one trying to boot off the other
through etherboot. Everythign goes fine, the client boots, retreat the
kernel off the server through tftp, and starting the kernel. Then it
stopped with error messages:
.
.
VFS: Cannot open root device "nfs" or 00:ff
please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernel panic:VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:ff

kdb >
.
.
Where do I append a "root=" option? is it a dhcp problem? in
/etc/dhcpd.conf, i did put in

 option root-path "/boothome";

along with the other options. also, when tagging the kernel image, i
also have rootdir option:
mknbi-linux zImage --output=kernel --rootdir=/boothome

nfs export is correct, i have no idea where i did wrong.

any clue?

thanks in advance.
Paul G

2. Solaris 2.5.1 to 2.6 upgrade

3. LILO saved boot file /boot/boot.0301

4. where I can get more infomation about USB in linux ?

5. Boot x86 boot enhancements, boot parameters 1/9

6. SCSI timouts during CD boot (UDB/RedHat install)

7. Dual boot Debian and XP "boot failure" using XP boot loader

8. Why lprm requires root privilegies?

9. renamed rc.boot to rc.boot.old now it wont boot???

10. RH6 "Boot failed" from boot disk

11. How to config LILO on non-boot disk (b4 using it as boot disk)

12. can't boot 'boot.flp' version 2.2.5

13. HELP: OS/2 boot mgr doesn't boot LINUX