after upgrading redhat 5.2 => 7.2 no console login?

after upgrading redhat 5.2 => 7.2 no console login?

Post by Punchlin » Fri, 18 Oct 2002 03:12:03

    Howdy, I just upgraded a very old box from Redhat 5.2 to Redhat 7.2,
everything went great surprisingly except for one little caveat, I cant
login to the console with any of my accounts. I can sshd in, i can ftp, i
can pop, but I cannot login from the console. Does anyone have any idea??

Im pretty sure this has something to do with pam...

-Drew

Post by mjt » Fri, 18 Oct 2002 02:29:58

>     Howdy, I just upgraded a very old box from Redhat 5.2 to Redhat 7.2,
> everything went great surprisingly except for one little caveat, I cant
> login to the console with any of my accounts. I can sshd in, i can ftp, i
> can pop, but I cannot login from the console. Does anyone have any idea??

.... at the boot prompt, 'boot init the shell'  or do a Linux 1
and see what happens

Post by CrayzeeWul » Fri, 18 Oct 2002 03:40:15

>     Howdy, I just upgraded a very old box from Redhat 5.2 to Redhat 7.2,
> everything went great surprisingly except for one little caveat, I cant
> login to the console with any of my accounts. I can sshd in, i can ftp, i
> can pop, but I cannot login from the console. Does anyone have any idea??

Hi Punchline,

Your subject line seems to imply that you do not see a login prompt on the
console. But after reading your post it does not seem like that is the
case. So, here is what I am assuming from what you said:

(a) You _do_ see a login prompt on the console of the machine. Right ?
(b) When you try to login to the console, it says "login incorrect" or a
similar message. (this message will be helpful if you can post it)

Assuming (a) and (b), here is what you can try:

(c) Attempt to login on the console.
(d) After the console login fails, login remotely using ssh and look at the
bottom of the following two files:

/var/log/messages
/var/log/secure

If you see any error messages there, please post them to this group. Lets
talk after that.

Cheers,
--
CrayzeeWulf

1. Upgrade Problem: Redhat 5.2 -> 6.1 question --->

Hi -

       It's been awhile since I upgraded Redhat but have a nicely
running version of 5.2 at the moment. Yesterday I ftp'd all the 6.1
files onto a partition under /RedHat/RPMS & /RedHat/base and made a boot
diskette using the latest boot.img and rawrite. I was able to boot off
the diskette, tell it the correct partition & have it find it , answer a
few questions and off it went to parse the RPM files..

       About 30 seconds into that operation, it came back with a
pagefull of errors concerning python 1.5 (I've got python 1.5-1.5 on RH
5.2 and in the 6.1 RPMS dir I've got python 1.5-2.7). The errors
culminate in one final statement about an undefined symbol. Of course,
I've no idea what they're talking about but here's what I tried:

1) In order to determine whether it was a problem with the installed
python or the 'to-be-installed' python version, I tried doing a clean
install of linux (up to a point before it'd trash my 5.2 installation)
and it came up with the problem again. That means that it must be a
problem with the 6.1 install from HD.

2) Tried to install python manually using RPM but there's so many
dependencies (and important ones too! ) that I couldn't determine
anything this way.

Anyway: This strikes me as a pretty generic problem if I can just
download all the files for 6.1 and have success with the boot disk and
the finding of the files yet have a problem. Has anyone else here had a
similar problem with installing or upgrading of redhat 6.1 after ftp'ing
it to your system? I suppose a 6.1 cd doesn't count if it's even
released yet -

           thanks -

                  Mick

2. Problem installing with big drives

3. RedHat 5.2 -> RedHat 6.0 Upgrade Problems

4. search

5. redhat 5.2 -> 6.1 upgrade question

6. math-coprocessor of Cyrix P166+

7. Upgrading RedHat 5.0 -> 5.2

8. Apache rewriting to jserv

9. Problem upgrading redhat 5.1 -> 5.2: mount fails, no rpm database...

10. INSTALL Redhat 6.0: yet another 5.2->6 upgrade question:

11. redhat 5.1->5.2 upgrade over internet

12. RedHat 5.1 -> 5.2 upgrade woes

13. Redhat 5.2 -> 6.0 NFS upgrade woes