Upgrading from glibc 2.1 to glibc 2.2

Post by Jesus M. Salvo Jr » Sun, 15 Apr 2001 23:50:41

Using a RedHat 6.x distro, I have a lot of things updated:

kernel 2.2.19 with reiserfs
glibc 2.1.3
binutils 2.9.5
cpp 2.95
gcc 2.95
gcc-c++ 2.95
qt 2.3
Xfree 4.0.3
kde 2.1

As you can see above, I have upgraded gcc from 2.9.1 ( that came with
egcs ) to gcc 2.95 ( from libc6 contrib RPM ) due to a compiler bug that
I encounered compiling qt 2.3 with "march=i686".

However, I wanted to upgrade from kde 2.1 to kde 2.1.1. Since there are
no RPMs for RedHat6.x of kde 2.1.1, I downloaded the SRPMS and try to
build the RPMs and install them. Building kdesupport went okay ( with
"rpm -bb --target=i686 kdesupport-2.1.spec" ). Now I am trying to build
kdedoc with "rpm -bb --target=i686 kdedoc-2.1.1.spec". However, the
build requires perl 5.6.0, which in turn requires glibc 2.2.

With the exception of installing a new distro, I have not done a major
glibc upgrade. So my questions are:

1) Is it safe? Will the existing apps that were compiled, static or
shared, with glibc 2.1 still work with glibc 2.2? The only information I
can find about this is on the link below:

        http://www.imaxx.net/~thrytis/glibc/glibc-FAQ.html#2.3

... but it seems that the document is about a move from libc5  to libc6.
Is there a more updated version of this doc specifically for a move from
glibc 2.1 to glibc 2.2?

2) Has anyone with a RedHat 6.x distro done this, using the glibc-2.2
RPMS from rawhide?

Any help appreciated,

John

--
Homepage: http://homepages.tig.com.au/~jmsalvo/
Public Key:

Upgrading from glibc 2.1 to glibc 2.2

Post by Jesus M. Salvo Jr » Mon, 16 Apr 2001 00:11:02

One thing to mention is that the gcc-2.95 and gcc-c++-2.95 ( and
gcc-java-2.95 ) packages where installed from using contrib RPMS for
libc6. Therefore, the binaries of gcc and g++ ( both 2.95 ) that I
currently have work for glibc-2.1.3 ( since they were distributed under
the libc6 directory from redhat's contrib site instead of the glibc22
directory ).

Quote:

--
Homepage: http://homepages.tig.com.au/~jmsalvo/
Public Key:
http://pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x51F47D34

1. Upgrading from glibc 2.1 to glibc 2.2

[...]

2. What can I do with .Z files

3. glibc 2.1 and glibc 2.2

4. Caldera 2.2 Questions

5. Can primary glibc 2.1.x coexist with non-primary glibc 2.2.x WRT shared binaries?

6. Problems with Xfree, tcsh, PATH statements and system configuration in general - Please help.

7. How to upgrade glibc 2.1 to 2.2

8. 386-40 - buggy Kernel .99pl12/13?

9. Upgrading from glibc 2.1 to 2.2?

10. Trouble upgrading from glibc-2.1.2 to glibc-2.2.2 (rpm failed dependencies)

11. Upgrading glibc 2.1 -> 2.2

12. glibc 2.0 or glibc 2.1

13. glibc 2.1/glibc 1.99