Rejoin 2 contiguous partitions ?

Post by Pete Chiccarin » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I used fips to partition my disc, and mistakenly split the partition
used for my Win98 FAT32 C:\ drive.  So now I have 2 contiguous
partitions that I want to join into 1 partition.  Can I add the space
from the second partition back to the first partition without destroying
the data in the first partition ?  If so, how ?

TIA,  Pete

******
Remove NOSPAM to reply

Post by Colin Wats » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I used fips to partition my disc, and mistakenly split the partition
>used for my Win98 FAT32 C:\ drive.  So now I have 2 contiguous
>partitions that I want to join into 1 partition.  Can I add the space
>from the second partition back to the first partition without destroying
>the data in the first partition ?  If so, how ?

I don't know if you've installed Linux yet, but using Linux fdisk is
probably the safest (ha!) way to do this sort of thing. At least, if
it doesn't work the data is probably destroyed already (I'm not sure
*exactly* what fips does in this situation).

If you haven't installed Linux, you should get hold of a Linux boot
disk (the sort that distributions provide as a way to kick-start the
installation process). Boot with that, and, in the case of most
distributions, you should be able to press Alt-F2 or Alt-F3 or similar
to get to a shell prompt.

'/sbin/fdisk /dev/hda' (assuming you use IDE disks - if they're SCSI,
try sda instead of hda) will get you into fdisk on the appropriate
drive. Type 'p' to print your partition table, *write down all the
information*, and then, using 'm' for help, delete the partitions on
your disk and recreate them with the two partitions joined together
(so, if you've partitions from cylinder 1 to cylinder 432 and from
cylinder 433 to cylinder 1022, create a new partition running from
cylinder 1 to cylinder 1022). I suggest deleting all your partitions
and recreating them from scratch because this will keep the ordering
of partitions in your partition table correct; Windows is likely to
have severe problems if they get switched around.

fdisk will not write any data to your disk until you use the 'w'
command (write table to disk and exit). Use 'p' liberally to see
what's happening, and, if something goes wrong, don't panic, use 'q'
(quit without saving changes) and start again.

BIG DISCLAIMER: You may already have lost some data, depending on
exactly how fips operates. fdisk operates completely in "raw" mode on
the partition table, and will itself not erase any data; I don't know
about DOS fdisk. However, Windows' reaction on trying to boot with the
rejoined partition may well be to run Scandisk, and what that will
choose to do is up for grabs.

I strongly suggest you wait for a day or two before doing anything, to
see if anyone else on these newgroups has any more elegant
suggestions. You can use this as a last resort, though.

Good luck,

--

Trinity College, Cambridge, and Computer Science       [riva.ucam.org]
"It's the one who won't be taken who cannot seem to give,

Rejoin 2 contiguous partitions ?

Post by Pete Chiccarin » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Thanks for your reply.    I am basically working with a brand new system.
The
only things I've really done are upgrade to Win98 SE and install Linux.  So
it
would not be a big deal to delete everything and just start with a clean
disk,
but I thought I'd wait and see if I can avoid doing that.  It just seems to
be that
if Win98 has no problem with a partition's ending cylinder changing to make
the partition SMALLER, then it would also not have a problem change the
ending cylinder to make the partition LARGER (assuming a contiguous
clyinder range).  I've just not found the mechanism for doing so (if it
even exists).

thanks again!

Post by Andries Brouw » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

:: I used fips to partition my disc, and mistakenly split the partition
:: used for my Win98 FAT32 C:\ drive.  So now I have 2 contiguous
:: partitions that I want to join into 1 partition.  Can I add the space
:: from the second partition back to the first partition without destroying
:: the data in the first partition ?  If so, how ?

: I don't know if you've installed Linux yet, but using Linux fdisk is
: probably the safest (ha!) way to do this sort of thing. At least, if
: it doesn't work the data is probably destroyed already (I'm not sure
: *exactly* what fips does in this situation).

What you suggest: delete 2 partitions, create one new,
is useful only if the partitions do not contain any data.
Just enlarging a partition is useless if you cannot also
enlarge the filesystem on the partition.

: BIG DISCLAIMER: You may already have lost some data, depending on
: exactly how fips operates. fdisk operates completely in "raw" mode on
: the partition table, and will itself not erase any data

Roughly speaking this is true, but it is not precisely true:
fdisk only writes the partition table, but if one has logical partitions
then the corresponding parts of the partition table live at the start
of these logical partitions. If you divide a logical partition into
two parts, and then join them again, you will have lost at least one
sector of data.

Rejoin 2 contiguous partitions ?

Post by B. Joshua Rose » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

PartitionMagic can fix it, I think version 5.0 is out now, I've been
using 4.0 and it's saved me several time.

> :: I used fips to partition my disc, and mistakenly split the partition
> :: used for my Win98 FAT32 C:\ drive.  So now I have 2 contiguous
> :: partitions that I want to join into 1 partition.  Can I add the space
> :: from the second partition back to the first partition without destroying
> :: the data in the first partition ?  If so, how ?

> : I don't know if you've installed Linux yet, but using Linux fdisk is
> : probably the safest (ha!) way to do this sort of thing. At least, if
> : it doesn't work the data is probably destroyed already (I'm not sure
> : *exactly* what fips does in this situation).

> What you suggest: delete 2 partitions, create one new,
> is useful only if the partitions do not contain any data.
> Just enlarging a partition is useless if you cannot also
> enlarge the filesystem on the partition.

> : BIG DISCLAIMER: You may already have lost some data, depending on
> : exactly how fips operates. fdisk operates completely in "raw" mode on
> : the partition table, and will itself not erase any data

> Roughly speaking this is true, but it is not precisely true:
> fdisk only writes the partition table, but if one has logical partitions
> then the corresponding parts of the partition table live at the start
> of these logical partitions. If you divide a logical partition into
> two parts, and then join them again, you will have lost at least one
> sector of data.

1. Rejoin HD partitions

I had Linux installed on my primary HD.  I now want to place it on a
new secondary HD.  How do I rejoin that first partion to my primary
HD?  Do I use fips or fdisk?

BTW, I never could use the n disks with Linux.  Is there some kind of
trick to getting it to work with SCSI?

Thanks alot

2. remove kernel 2.0 #if's from aironet4500

3. Concatenating two contiguous ufs partitions?

4. Can't get Modules-1.1.87 to work.

5. How do I resize contiguous partitions?

6. NIS client setup on Solaris 10?

7. Node won't rejoin cluster after rebuild

8. SCO and morning star ppp

9. Newbie Help: Problems re-joining Domain

10. One-liner to rejoin continuation lines

11. What ar non.contiguous inodes ?

12. Contiguous memory mapping

13. fsck 43.9% non-contiguous ????