Linux Install on Win98

Post by Tim Whit » Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:00:00

I am considering installing Red Hat Linux on my Windows 98 machine, just
because I am reading so much about Linux, I am curious in learning it.

I currently have a 100mhz pentium, 32 meg RAM, and two hard drives (C a 1.5
gig about 70% filled and a 2.5 gig partitioned into D and E with 1.6
available on D and E is empty.)

Is it possible to install Linux while still keeping Win98, using a dual boot
system? Has anyone had any success or major issues with this type of a
set-up?  I have gone through the linux.org and Red Hat sites, and although
it seems possible, it does not sound easy.

Lastly are there any good sites that go through this type of an
installation?

Thanks in advance for the advice. Please cc: via e-mail.

--
Tim White

http://www.wwnet.com/~twhite14

Linux Install on Win98

Post by Anthony Lesli » Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:00:00

>I am considering installing Red Hat Linux on my Windows 98 machine, just
>because I am reading so much about Linux, I am curious in learning it.

>I currently have a 100mhz pentium, 32 meg RAM, and two hard drives (C a 1.5
>gig about 70% filled and a 2.5 gig partitioned into D and E with 1.6
>available on D and E is empty.)

>Is it possible to install Linux while still keeping Win98, using a dual
boot
>system? Has anyone had any success or major issues with this type of a
>set-up?  I have gone through the linux.org and Red Hat sites, and although
>it seems possible, it does not sound easy.

>Lastly are there any good sites that go through this type of an
>installation?

>Thanks in advance for the advice. Please cc: via e-mail.

>--
>Tim White

>http://www.wwnet.com/~twhite14

Sounds like what I'm doing..(just did)..
From advice I got from a friend, Do NOT allow LILO to install. First read
about loadlin..
This seems to be the way to go with Win95/95..
Note: pay CLOSE attention to where Linux wants to install.. hda is NOT an
option if you have win98 on your first drive..
Otherwise the install went smoothly..(I used RedHat 5.0 I got on CD with a
"Linux for Dummies" Book).
Also read up on mounting using vfat (for access to your win98 partition).
Best advice I can give is look over the CD, in win98, and read anything that
looks readable and seems to apply to your situation..