Kernel 1.2.8x broke Loadlin and/or UMSDOS

Kernel 1.2.8x broke Loadlin and/or UMSDOS

Post by Ian V. Quickmi » Sun, 14 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Either 1.3.81 or 1.3.82 or 1.3.83 give me the following error upon reboot:

VFS: Cannot open root device 00:0d
Kernel Panic: VFS: Inable to mount root fs on 00:0d

I had originally gone from 1.3.79 to 1.3.83, but after having this prob,
backed down to 1.3.82, problem still there.

To insure one of the 81,82, or 83 patch files wasn't bad, I d/l'ed the
whole source for 1.3.83, re-compiled, and still have same problem.

Note: I use loadlin 1.5 to boot Linux.

With that in mind, made a boot floppy, and lo and behold, a slight
improvement! It boots, but the UMSDOS fs comes up in read-only mode.

Does ANYBODY have a clue what is going on??

Is Loadlin broke? Does it need a new parm?

How to force a floppy boot to put my umsdos into RW mode? The fstab has it
set to DEFAULTS. I tried setting it to RW, but that didn't change anything.

WWW: http://www.sonetis.com/~ianq/      CIS: 74032,573

1. Is uugetty broken for Kernels 1.2.x ?

[ Article crossposted from alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions ]
[ Author was Terrence W Martin ]
[ Posted on 7 Aug 1995 21:11:55 GMT ]

I was just told that uugetty is broken for kernels 1.2.x. Is this
true? And if so where are the patches.

I am using getty_ps 2.0.7d which came with my Caldera distribution. Is
the version fixed for these kernels?

I am running Kernel 1.2.8-again this is the kernel that Caldera came
with.

I have been unable to get my computer to answer the phone and I am
wondering if this could be the problem.

Thanks

If you need any more information about how I have set things up please
ask.

  --

|Terrence Martin, Student at the    |"Do Not Gobble Proferred      |
|University of Saskatchewan         | Baits"                       |

|===================================|==============================|
|Any views expressed are my own and do not reflect on the opinions |
|of any group or organization with which I am affiliated.          |

--

|Terrence Martin, Student at the    |"Do Not Gobble Proferred      |
|University of Saskatchewan         | Baits"                       |

|===================================|==============================|
|Any views expressed are my own and do not reflect on the opinions |
|of any group or organization with which I am affiliated.          |

2. Plug and Play Sound Cards

3. Compiling kernel for UMSDOS (+loadlin)

4. Recieving Mail on PPP?

5. NFS-Root problem with debian 1.2 (2.0.27) and loadlin

6. door descriptor?

7. Did anyone get slackware 1.2 + umsdos working?

8. RAID Level 5 Query !!!

9. Problems Compiling New Kernel w/ Slackware's version of 1.2 kernel

10. restore broken in 1.2?

11. Q: SOCK_RAW & IPPROTO_RAW Broken in 1.2.x??

12. 1.2 break Boca BB2016

13. Wield system, X11 glibc2 or egcs1.1.2 broken?