Newbie-Q: Partition suggestions for new install RH5.1

Newbie-Q: Partition suggestions for new install RH5.1

Post by Bob Sticke » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I'm prepping my pc to install RH 5.1. I have all of the hardware identified,
irq'ed, dma'ed, etc. from an existing install of NT4 ws.....

I'm running a P200, 64mb sys ram, 4mb video ram, ps2 mouse, standard kb, ide
cd, sb16 sound, isa 3c509 and external USR 33.6k. Hardware aside, can anyone
suggest the partitioning names and sizes that would make the best use of the
2 - 1.6 gb hard drives I am going to use in this system? I still don't know
how much room to devote to / or /usr/src to make sure that I'll have enough
room to download, compile and install software as time goes on.

I'd really like to keep the number of partitions down since this is a
one-user (me) box that will be used (eventually) as a web server and, quite
likely, a database (for dynamic web pages) server and a mail server. I am
familiar with the ethernet and network install, the Apache install, the
Samba install, X install from a previous installation and sndconfig. I just
wasn't sure that I had properly configged the system for the best use of the
available disk space.

Thanks in advance for any info or suggestions....

Bob

Post by Prasanth Kuma » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> I'm prepping my pc to install RH 5.1. I have all of the hardware identified,
> irq'ed, dma'ed, etc. from an existing install of NT4 ws.....

> I'm running a P200, 64mb sys ram, 4mb video ram, ps2 mouse, standard kb, ide
> cd, sb16 sound, isa 3c509 and external USR 33.6k. Hardware aside, can anyone
> suggest the partitioning names and sizes that would make the best use of the
> 2 - 1.6 gb hard drives I am going to use in this system? I still don't know
> how much room to devote to / or /usr/src to make sure that I'll have enough
> room to download, compile and install software as time goes on.

> I'd really like to keep the number of partitions down since this is a
> one-user (me) box that will be used (eventually) as a web server and, quite
> likely, a database (for dynamic web pages) server and a mail server. I am
> familiar with the ethernet and network install, the Apache install, the
> Samba install, X install from a previous installation and sndconfig. I just
> wasn't sure that I had properly configged the system for the best use of the
> available disk space.

> Thanks in advance for any info or suggestions....

> Bob

Since it is just for personal use, I would just suggest 2-3 partitions.
Have one
partition for swap space between 32-100 MB. Have the next one be the
root partition
with 500MB+ of space. Then optionally have a home partition where your
personal files
are kept. This one depends on how much space you tend to use...I think
100MB per user
is minimum. The advatage of this scheme is that your personal files are
safely on a
separate partition in case you reinstall your Linux again. Having too
many partitions
means you have to take care not to over utilize and fill up one
particular partition.

--
Prasanth Kumar

1. 3 newbie Qs on partitioning a hard disk

What counts is _why_ they make that warning.  Personally,
I've never seen it before.  Do they actually give their
reasons with the warning?

If they make that warning based solely on the basis of the
time it'll take to run fsck on the partition (which I
suspect is the reason)...well it's up to you to decide
whether or not you can live with that.

2. Issues with installing flash image from tape

3. Suggestions for moving RH5.0 to a new hdd

4. Move watchdog drivers to drivers/char/watchdog/

5. Need Suggestion Installing RH5.1 and Win98

6. memory squeeze on redhat 4.2

7. Installing RH5.0 on new machine, install crashed!

8. async H/W flow control problems again

9. Newbie : Suggestions to partition a 12Gb HDD (Win2000 + Mandrake)

10. So many partition schemes: any suggestions for a linux newbie?

11. Mounting additional partitions (RH5.0) - newbie question.

12. New install suggestions

13. Installing RH5 on a Win98 with multiple partitions