configuring mailx or pine

Post by jm.. » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I can get mail from my ISP using netscape (on my redhat 5.1 box) but how
do I configure my system to use mailx or pine for my ISP mail?
Thanks,

configuring mailx or pine

Post by Villy Kru » Sat, 30 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>I can get mail from my ISP using netscape (on my redhat 5.1 box) but how
>do I configure my system to use mailx or pine for my ISP mail?
>Thanks,

You can configure pine to use the pop3 server on your ISP.  mailx AKA Mail
need the mail to be move to the local mailbox before you can access it.

The mail box is referred to as {isp.pop3.com/pop3}INBOX

Villy

configuring mailx or pine

Post by Wowi » Sun, 31 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I can get mail from my ISP using netscape (on my redhat 5.1 box) but how
> do I configure my system to use mailx or pine for my ISP mail?
> Thanks,

You need a program to get your email from your ISP...which I recommend...
fetchmail.. Then fetchmail will move it to your local mailbox..then after
that use pine to read your e-mail.......

configuring mailx or pine

Post by jm.. » Sun, 31 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> > I can get mail from my ISP using netscape (on my redhat 5.1 box) but how
> > do I configure my system to use mailx or pine for my ISP mail?
> > Thanks,

> You need a program to get your email from your ISP...which I recommend...
> fetchmail.. Then fetchmail will move it to your local mailbox..then after
> that use pine to read your e-mail.......

Ok, I am using fetchmail, but it dumps the mail into root on my local
machine,
instead of sending it to the users mail file. How do I fix?

Digital Sea Internet Services - Web Hosting powered by Linux
http://www.digitalsea.net

Post by C Sanjayan Rosenmun » Mon, 01 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> > > I can get mail from my ISP using netscape (on my redhat 5.1 box)
> > but how
> > > do I configure my system to use mailx or pine for my ISP mail?
> > > Thanks,

> > You need a program to get your email from your ISP...which I
> > recommend...
> > fetchmail.. Then fetchmail will move it to your local
> > mailbox..then after
> > that use pine to read your e-mail.......

> Ok, I am using fetchmail, but it dumps the mail into root on my
> local machine,
> instead of sending it to the users mail file. How do I fix?
> Thanks,

> --

> Digital Sea Internet Services - Web Hosting powered by Linux
> http://www.digitalsea.net

in the .fetchmailrc use lines like:
poll <your mail server> proto POP3 user <your username on the
mailserver> pass <your password on the mail server> is <your local
name>
I hope htis helps. . .

--
Sanjay

Windows has detected that a gnat has farted near your computer.
             Press any key to reboot.

1. mailx, elm, pine, uucp and stuff

Hello!

I got some obscure problem sending mail with UUCP.
If I use uux to queue a new job into my uucp spool
to the smart host rebell and I issue uustat, I get

rebellN0264 rebell root 05-27 13:36 Executing lpr
(sending 456 bytes)

which seems OK. But if I use mail to queue a new mail
into this spool directory I get

rebellC0262 rebell bin 05-27 13:33 Executing rmail

from a uustat. The problem is, if I want to delete all
outstanding  jobs, uustat -K will delete only the previous
uux job. This is because all mail jobs are stored for the
user bin rather than myself (root).  My question is how
I can make this mail job belong to me (root). I guess this
has something to do with permission bits I have set to one
of my uucp executable. But as I can say I verified that
those were properly set. What do you think? BTW the same
applies if I use any other MUA like elm or pine or even
Mozilla. I checked my passwd and group file entries in /etc
too. But nothing seems to help. This is really silly.
On what does it depend?

Any ideas?

Thank you,
Andreas Mitsis

        Andreas Mitsis          |      FH Wiesbaden FBI
             ____               |          Germany

        +49 6134 6716           |

2. Wich hardware ?

3. lockd vs. Pine, mailx (2.4 + 101945-34)

4. ADAPTEC 2842A not detect

5. mail,mailx,elm,pine: 17 questions (65, actually)

6. a solution to "Cannot assign requested address: make_sock..."

7. Pine 3.95 and pine.conf/pine.conf.fixed

8. Possible to direct connect NT Wks and RH6 with crossover cable?

9. Configuring mailx

10. How do I configure Pine for serial PPP connection

11. How I must configure my linux pine ...

12. redhat linux6.0:how to configure pine for mail and newsgroups??

13. How do you configure PINE to connect to a POP3 server ?