man pages problem

Post by Ray Bagle » Fri, 23 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Please excuse the repete of this question.  I have seen it asked before
and saw two solutions, neither of which has helped.

I'm having a problem getting the man pages to ever work.  I had this
exact same problem with the first version I downloaded.  I never got
it fixed because I simply wiped everything out and started over with
the currrent version (3.1?).

The problem is that when I type man <whatever> sometimes I end up in
what looks like and editor.  If I stop the proc with control z and use
ps to see what is running i can see that the system was trying to open
the correct man page.  But sometimes when I type man <whatever> I get
an error about directories not found.  Groff is listed among those
sometimes but not always.  I have attemped to find groff in the packages
so as to try to install/reinstall it but I think I am looking for
something that isn't there.

I have looked everywhere I can think of for any info on this and can find
nothing.  So at this point I am completely lost.

Thanks
Ray

man pages problem

Post by William Duf » Sat, 24 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>Please excuse the repete of this question.  I have seen it asked before
>and saw two solutions, neither of which has helped.

>I'm having a problem getting the man pages to ever work.  I had this
>exact same problem with the first version I downloaded.  I never got
>it fixed because I simply wiped everything out and started over with
>the currrent version (3.1?).

>The problem is that when I type man <whatever> sometimes I end up in
>what looks like and editor.  If I stop the proc with control z and use
>ps to see what is running i can see that the system was trying to open
>the correct man page.  But sometimes when I type man <whatever> I get
>an error about directories not found.  Groff is listed among those
>sometimes but not always.  I have attemped to find groff in the packages
>so as to try to install/reinstall it but I think I am looking for
>something that isn't there.

>I have looked everywhere I can think of for any info on this and can find
>nothing.  So at this point I am completely lost.

>Thanks
>Ray

Turns out that I wasn't the only one bit by the Slakware package.  They do not
tell you what has to be installed for certain packages to work.

What you need to do is install the groff and one other that I can't recall
(watch the error messages for missing stuff), from the AP series.  The man pages
will then function correctly.

If you still can't get at some of the ones you are sure are there, check that
the path is being set correctly (MANPATH) in the enviroment.

William Duffy        |   "Tis a funny thing this english language,

"Plain  User"        |    ice can be getting into hot water."

Using Forte's Agent 99, Man what a nice news reader/email system.
               Worth every one of those $29

man pages problem

Post by Marco Angles » Sun, 25 Aug 1996 04:00:00

: exact same problem with the first version I downloaded.  I never got
: it fixed because I simply wiped everything out and started over with
: the currrent version (3.1?).
: the correct man page.  But sometimes when I type man <whatever> I get
: an error about directories not found.  Groff is listed among those
: sometimes but not always.  I have attemped to find groff in the packages
: so as to try to install/reinstall it but I think I am looking for
: something that isn't there.

Groff may be in the slackware packages; what I know is that it is at
sunsite, and (if you're using redhat) there's a rpm of it at
ftp.redhat.com.  That should help.

marco

---

** systems programmer/analyst, COM:PORT INT'L LLC  Ottawa, Ontario, Canada **
Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing-Wernher von Braun

1. Man Pages problem

: fg: no job control
: apropos: manpath is null
: Error executing formatting or display command.
: System command exited with status 256.

This is a very well-known bug in certain Slackware distributions.
Either get the original man-1.4d distribution (say, from sunsite),
or have a look at the simple_fixes directory that zenon is
maintaining - you may well have a handful of other problems,
also caused by flaws in this same distribution.

2. How to stop someone using my internal IP?

3. Yggdrasil man page problems

4. ?AWE 64 + REDHAT 4.1 = PROBLEMS

5. Man Pages Problem

6. Unix System V - a simple question

7. Man page problems when not root

8. optimization - compiling gcc-7.2.2.3 with egcs for kernel recompiles

9. Man page problems

10. Man Pages Problem

11. man page problems.

12. mwm man page problems in SWIM Motif