Dual boot Debian and XP "boot failure" using XP boot loader

Dual boot Debian and XP "boot failure" using XP boot loader

Post by magicp » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 06:05:55



Hi
I've installed debian on 4 logical (at least that's what i've told
cfdisk to do) partitions (should be sda9 to sda12 ??; my HW config is
120GB hd on promise uata controller, dvd on ide0 master [so for linux:
hda], cd-rw on ide1 master [so hdc]) and created a boot floppy from
which i've extracted the bootsector and placed it on my fat16 boot
partition (sda0 ?? [will Linux see my promise ata as scsi??]). Then
i've added the line c:\bootsect.lnx="Debian Linux" to XPs boot.ini.

Now i get the message "boot failure" when i select Linux from the XP
boot menu.
I guess the Linux boot loader is looking for the boot image (vmlinuz
??)?
Where is it? Or better, how can i tell this to 'bootsect.lnx' ;-)

Booting from my rescue floppy still works fine, also booting XP!

Thanx

magicpio

 
 
 

Dual boot Debian and XP "boot failure" using XP boot loader

Post by magicp » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 07:25:59


Hi
I've installed debian on 4 logical (at least that's what i've told
cfdisk to do) partitions (should be sda9 to sda12 ??; my HW config is
120GB hd on promise uata controller, dvd on ide0 master [so for linux:
hda], cd-rw on ide1 master [so hdc]) and created a boot floppy from
which i've extracted the bootsector and placed it on my fat16 boot
partition (sda0 ?? [will Linux see my promise ata as scsi??]). Then
i've added the line c:\bootsect.lnx="Debian Linux" to XPs boot.ini.

Now i get the message "boot failure" when i select Linux from the XP
boot menu.
I guess the Linux boot loader is looking for the boot image (vmlinuz
??)?
Where is it? Or better, how can i tell this to 'bootsect.lnx' ;-)

Booting from my rescue floppy still works fine, also booting XP!

Thanx

magicpio

 
 
 

Dual boot Debian and XP "boot failure" using XP boot loader

Post by a use » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 07:35:25



> Hi
> I've installed debian on 4 logical (at least that's what i've told
> cfdisk to do) partitions (should be sda9 to sda12 ??; my HW config is
> 120GB hd on promise uata controller, dvd on ide0 master [so for linux:
> hda], cd-rw on ide1 master [so hdc]) and created a boot floppy from
> which i've extracted the bootsector and placed it on my fat16 boot
> partition (sda0 ?? [will Linux see my promise ata as scsi??]). Then
> i've added the line c:\bootsect.lnx="Debian Linux" to XPs boot.ini.

> Now i get the message "boot failure" when i select Linux from the XP
> boot menu.
> I guess the Linux boot loader is looking for the boot image (vmlinuz
> ??)?
> Where is it? Or better, how can i tell this to 'bootsect.lnx' ;-)

> Booting from my rescue floppy still works fine, also booting XP!

The "easy" way is to get a copy of bootpart 2.5 from
"www.winimage.com/bootpart.html"; bootpart is free.

Then 1. install lilo or grub on the boot partition of linux
     2. boot into winxp and run unzip bootpart into a directory
     3. run bootpart; bootpart -h will produce a help/doc and parameters
        to use.
     4. run bootpart with the appropriate parms.

If you want to change the boot default to linux :-), then use the windows
system and get into the "boot/recover" config to select linux on the
dropdown menu and apply...

 
 
 

Dual boot Debian and XP "boot failure" using XP boot loader

Post by magicp » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 20:04:22


Quote:> The "easy" way is to get a copy of bootpart 2.5 from
> "www.winimage.com/bootpart.html"; bootpart is free.

> Then 1. install lilo or grub on the boot partition of linux
>      2. boot into winxp and run unzip bootpart into a directory
>      3. run bootpart; bootpart -h will produce a help/doc and parameters
>         to use.
>      4. run bootpart with the appropriate parms.

> If you want to change the boot default to linux :-), then use the windows
> system and get into the "boot/recover" config to select linux on the
> dropdown menu and apply...

Well that's exactly what i did NOT plan to do. I'd like to start linux
with the xP loader! Is this blasphemous? Will it work at all? I came
across a message that says it's not possible (although that person has
reached a level of error messages which i believe are related to some
HW problems).
Also, since i'm a newbie to Linux, are my assumptions on how Linux
numbers the drives/partitions correct (see my comments in brackets in
my first posting)?

p.s. bootpart is nice though - have been using it before!

 
 
 

Dual boot Debian and XP "boot failure" using XP boot loader

Post by Eric Moor » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 16:34:18



> Hi
> I've installed debian on 4 logical (at least that's what i've told
> cfdisk to do) partitions (should be sda9 to sda12 ??; my HW config is
> 120GB hd on promise uata controller, dvd on ide0 master [so for linux:
> hda], cd-rw on ide1 master [so hdc]) and created a boot floppy from
> which i've extracted the bootsector and placed it on my fat16 boot
> partition (sda0 ?? [will Linux see my promise ata as scsi??]). Then i've
> added the line c:\bootsect.lnx="Debian Linux" to XPs boot.ini.

> Now i get the message "boot failure" when i select Linux from the XP
> boot menu.
> I guess the Linux boot loader is looking for the boot image (vmlinuz
> ??)?
> Where is it? Or better, how can i tell this to 'bootsect.lnx' ;-)

> Booting from my rescue floppy still works fine, also booting XP!

How did you create the floppy you want
to steal the bootsector from?

Eric

 
 
 

Dual boot Debian and XP "boot failure" using XP boot loader

Post by magicp » Fri, 28 Mar 2003 02:54:12


Hi Eric

Quote:> How did you create the floppy you want
> to steal the bootsector from?

During the woody install process it asks you to
have Lilo installed somewhere or boot Linux from
floppy. I chose that option and a rescue??-floppy was
created.
I grabbed the bootsector as follows:
dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1
mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt
cp /bootsect.lnx /mnt
umount /mnt
Rebooted into MSDOS and copied a:\bootsect.lnx to c:\
and added the following to XPs boot.ini
c:\bootsect.lnx="Debian Linux - Woody"

Jens

 
 
 

Dual boot Debian and XP "boot failure" using XP boot loader

Post by Eric Moor » Fri, 28 Mar 2003 16:52:45


Quote:>> How did you create the floppy you want to steal the bootsector from?

> During the woody install process it asks you to have Lilo installed
> somewhere or boot Linux from floppy. I chose that option and a
> rescue??-floppy was created.
> I grabbed the bootsector as follows:
> dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1 mount -t msdos /dev/fd0
> /mnt
> cp /bootsect.lnx /mnt
> umount /mnt
> Rebooted into MSDOS and copied a:\bootsect.lnx to c:\ and added the
> following to XPs boot.ini c:\bootsect.lnx="Debian Linux - Woody"

I don't know debian, so I'm not sure if this is correct.
Check that lilo.conf's boot= entry points at /dev/fd0. rerun lilo.
the bootsector written to a floppy this way, should work.
(Check first if the floppy is actually bootable)

Eric

 
 
 

Dual boot Debian and XP "boot failure" using XP boot loader

Post by Jerr » Sat, 29 Mar 2003 00:13:01


Using the floppy won't work  Read this howto:
http://classes.csumb.edu/CST/CST434-01/world/DualBoot.html

Read section 4


Quote:> Hi Eric

> > How did you create the floppy you want
> > to steal the bootsector from?

> During the woody install process it asks you to
> have Lilo installed somewhere or boot Linux from
> floppy. I chose that option and a rescue??-floppy was
> created.
> I grabbed the bootsector as follows:
> dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1
> mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt
> cp /bootsect.lnx /mnt
> umount /mnt
> Rebooted into MSDOS and copied a:\bootsect.lnx to c:\
> and added the following to XPs boot.ini
> c:\bootsect.lnx="Debian Linux - Woody"

> Jens

 
 
 

1. Dual boot XP / Linux wont boot into XP

I bought a computer with XP on it.
I installed Redhat 7.2 with grub loader.
Grub menu shows two selections, Windows xp & Linux.
If I select Windows xp, nothing happens, the menu
pops up again.
Linux boots fine.

I've searched google for this, and everything I've found
says to do everything I've done already, but XP still
won't boot.

Heres grub.conf:

default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.7-10)
        root (hd0,1)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.7-10 ro root=/dev/hda3 hdc=ide-scsi
        initrd /initrd-2.4.7-10.img

title Windows XP
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        chainloader +1
        makeactive

Any help at all appreciated.

2. Proxying Set Up

3. linux - windows xp pro - dual boot - boot.ini - bootsect.lnx failure

4. Any alternatives to bootdisk for install?

5. How to use XP boot loader to boot Linux on a different hard disk

6. Q:Using a PC as X terminal off UNIX *remotely*???

7. Pls Help - Lin Mandrake 8.0: delete boot loader, add boot line in Win XP, play sound

8. [patch] Memory Binding Take 2 (0/1)

9. Newbie novice installed Grub on Redhat 7.3 with separate /boot partition, dual boot Windows XP

10. Newbie "Boot" or not to "Boot"

11. How do i configure my "boot-device" and "boot-file" (LinuxPPC)?

12. RedHat 5.2, "/boot/System.map" and "/boot/System.map"

13. Windows XP, Linux 7.2 GRUB boot loader using 1 Hard Drive