Problems at the first hurdle

Post by John Broo » Fri, 08 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I'm trying to install Slackware 2.2 (out of the back of the Linux
Unleashed book) onto a ThinkPad 360C. I've cleaned the disk off
and left a nominal DOS partition (10MB) on there and am trying to
use the BARE boot disk and the TTY144 root disk.

The boot works fine, then I get a message asking me to insert
ramdisk floppy and press Enter. According to the book I should
put in the root floppy at this point, so I do this. What then
happens to me is that I get the messages:

VFS: Disk change detected on device 2/28
VFS: insert root floppy and press ENTER
VFS: Disk change detected on device 2/28
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 02:1c

Can anybody tell me what's going on here?

John Brooke
John Brooke                            Redhatch Consulting Ltd.

            "Cacatne ursus in sylvis?"

1. Linux Install Works. One Hurdle

I have just successfully installed Linux on a used Pentium 75 I picked up. I
plan to us it as an internet [gateway | ip forwarder | proxy] for a home
network so we can all use the cable internet access.

One stumble that may help others.

During the Linux install, using Redhat 5.2 and its Disk Druid, I
repartitioned the 850 meg drive into a 31 meg partition for DOS (in case I
need it for diagnostics of hardware), a root and a swap.

Installing the bootloader failed, without a useful error message. I retried
a number of time.

The next day it dawned on me. The DOS partition was not yet formatted!

I booted DOS from floppy, formatted and installed.

Then Linux went in clean.

Next step is to get the networks cards installed and working. And get the
rust out of my unix skills! :)

2. Upgrade advice for MB w/ OPTI chipset

3. Falling at the first hurdle

4. Technical Differences of *BSD and Linux

5. AIX apache installation & newbie fell at first hurdle

6. How to kill a masqueraded connection?

7. Mandrake 7.0 installation -- falling at the first hurdle

8. Linux PPP

9. 2.4.21-pre5-ac1: one old problem, one new problem

10. Last hurdle in the Root floppies...

11. Adaptec AIC-6260AL SCSI card hurdles

12. @Home hurdles and tribulations

13. Kernel hurdle for script-kiddies