FTP problem: Linux->Win/SGI slow Win/SGI->Linux fast

FTP problem: Linux->Win/SGI slow Win/SGI->Linux fast

Post by J_irvin » Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I hope someone out there can help a poor newbie!!

The problem:  I have recently installed RetHat Linux 5.2.
The machine is on a Novell 4.2 network and uses an Intel
Ether Express 16 card. It is possible to be on this or another
machine and transfer a file FROM the linux box at a rate of
about 600kB/s.  However, transferring TO the linux machine
gives rates of about 18kB/s.

It is a dual boot system - when tranferring/receiving files
using windoze ftp (QVFTP or WS_FTP) the transfer rates in
both directions are 600kB/s.

At installation time, linux was set up to use the
'eexpress' driver and the bootp protocol.

There are no packet overflows, packets lost or errors generally.

Visualising the transfer using the 'hash' function of ftp
shows that transfer progresses at the expected speed for
10-30kB, then stalls or slows down to a snail pace, then
starts again, stall, etc...

I have tried
- explicitly stating the IRQ=10, I/O base address 0x300
- turning on/off IPX
- making the MTU smaller
- manually configuring (i.e no bootp) the ip address etc.
- playing with the routing window as suggested in the
HOWTO-Ethernet file.

The only effect I have been able to achieve is a reduction
in performance to 13kB/s.

Checking usenet a number of people seem to have had a
similar problem but no relevant solutions suggested.  One
person claimed they started having this problem when
they upgraded their motherboard.

I have no idea where to go from here... any suggestions would be greatly

appreciated.  Thanks!

FTP problem: Linux->Win/SGI slow Win/SGI->Linux fast

Post by Paul Mil » Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I don't know if this is similar to what I'm experiencing ...

I recently installed an EtherExpress 16, the card seems to suffer some kind
of problem, issue the error message : CU Wedged, status 240 0000 resetting

When this happens, the ping times on this machine dramatically slow down,
until it resets itself and then it all behaves fine again.

I'm using kernel 2.0.36, although i noticed that the driver appears to
have changed in kernel 2.2.x

If you solve your problem, can you let me know.

Paul

--
Paul
        Final Year CompSci          o__

Post by Dean Plud » Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I hope someone out there can help a poor newbie!!

> The problem:  I have recently installed RetHat Linux 5.2.
> The machine is on a Novell 4.2 network and uses an Intel
> Ether Express 16 card. It is possible to be on this or another
> machine and transfer a file FROM the linux box at a rate of
> about 600kB/s.  However, transferring TO the linux machine
> gives rates of about 18kB/s.

> It is a dual boot system - when tranferring/receiving files
> using windoze ftp (QVFTP or WS_FTP) the transfer rates in
> both directions are 600kB/s.

> At installation time, linux was set up to use the
> 'eexpress' driver and the bootp protocol.

> There are no packet overflows, packets lost or errors generally.

> Visualising the transfer using the 'hash' function of ftp
> shows that transfer progresses at the expected speed for
> 10-30kB, then stalls or slows down to a snail pace, then
> starts again, stall, etc...

> I have tried
> - explicitly stating the IRQ=10, I/O base address 0x300
> - turning on/off IPX
> - making the MTU smaller
> - manually configuring (i.e no bootp) the ip address etc.
> - playing with the routing window as suggested in the
> HOWTO-Ethernet file.

> The only effect I have been able to achieve is a reduction
> in performance to 13kB/s.

> Checking usenet a number of people seem to have had a
> similar problem but no relevant solutions suggested.  One
> person claimed they started having this problem when
> they upgraded their motherboard.

> I have no idea where to go from here... any suggestions would be greatly

> appreciated.  Thanks!

I Don't know bout that but if you  .On Debian : ) I get 700k <> from a 3Com
card and a 75 pentium
It is probally some kind of firewall

FTP problem: Linux->Win/SGI slow Win/SGI->Linux fast

Post by Steve Oxl » Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hiya!

Sorry, no.  The Linux driver for the EtherExpress is (for lack of a better
term) 'broken'.  There is some crazy logic within the card (ie, bugs in the
microcode).  One of the sysadmins here at Monash actually fixed the problem
with the driver and sent off the patches 2 _years_ ago, but it looks like
they've fallen out of the kernel source.

I had an EtherExpress, and managed 2kbyte/sec transfer rate.  As soon as I
dropped in a 3Com Etherlink III, I was getting up to 900kbytes/sec.
(And for what it's worth, Win95 and the EtherExpress works fine.)

What's the solution??  Get another ethernet card.

Steve

>I Don't know bout that but if you  .On Debian : ) I get 700k <> from a 3Com
>card and a 75 pentium
>It is probally some kind of firewall

| Stephen Oxley, Shared Systems,                       Tel: +61-3-990-55738 |
| Computer Centre, Monash University,                  Fax: +61-3-990-54746 |
| Clayton, Victoria,               ICBM: S37 54' 38.8" E145 07' 47.1" +200' |

FTP problem: Linux->Win/SGI slow Win/SGI->Linux fast

Post by Shane Pearso » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

ji,

A few years ago I supported a site with about 200 PC's.
Most of them used Etherexpress 16's, some had Pro 100's
and DEC cards.

I found that not all Etherexpress 16's are created equal.  :)
We had old drivers for the older cards and the newest
drivers for the newer cards. Mainly as the newer drivers
would not work with the older EE16's.

Just a thought.

1. FTP problem: linux>>win/SGI slow win/SGI>>linux fast

The machine is on a Novell 4.2 network and uses an Intel
Ether Express 16 card. It is possible to be on another
machine and transfer a file FROM the linux box at a rate of
about 600kB/s.
However, transferring to the linux machine gives rates of
about 18kB/s.  Similarly if one is
on the Linux box using ftp, transfer both from and
to another machine and
from another machine is slow - around 18Kb / sec.

It is a dual boot system - when tranferring/receiving files
using windoze ftp (QVFTP or WS_FTP) the transfer rates in
both direction are 600kB/s.

At installation time, linux was set up to use the
'eexpress' driver and the bootp protocol.

There are no packet overflows, packets lost or errors generally.

Visualising the transfer using the 'hash' function of ftp
shows that transfer progresses at the expected speed for
10-30kB, then stalls or slows down to a snail pace, then
starts again, slow, stall, slow, etc...

I have tried
- explicitly stating the IRQ=10, I/O base address 0x300
- turning on/off IPX
- making the MTU smaller
- manually configuring (i.e no bootp) the ip address etc.
- playing with the routing window as suggested in the
HOWTO-Ethernet file.

The only effect I have been able to achieve is a reduction
in performance to 13kB/s.

Checking usenet a number of people seem to have had a
similar problem but no relevant solutions suggested.  One
person claimed they started having this problem when
they upgraded their motherboard.

I have no idea what to do next... help...

2. Pine/fetchmail & return to

3. samba win --> linux=ok linux-->win=not_ok

4. Serial Comm. Toolkit/Library for C/C++

5. SGI CEO Resigns, joins Microsoft (was Re: SGI switching gears: NT -> Linux)

6. Building an OpenBSD-router

7. Slow Network Linux->Win98=Slow Win98->Linux=Fast

8. lynx and xterm

9. NFS linux->osf1 slow, linux->irix fast

10. 95 -> linux fast; but linux -> 95 slow!

11. 'doze -> linux fast, linux -> 'doze slow

12. Network fast Linux -> WinXP but slow WinXP -> Linux

13. Win 9x -> pptp over internet -> Linux NAT and redirect -> NTserver