Syncing a Palm Vx with Gnome Pilot on RedHat 8.0

Syncing a Palm Vx with Gnome Pilot on RedHat 8.0

Post by Tim Greening-Jackso » Thu, 20 Feb 2003 23:19:32

I have a dual-boot workstation which runs either Windows XP or RedHat 8.0.

I have a Palm Vx organiser connected (via a cradle) to one of the serial
ports on the workstation. When I have the machine booted to XP, the Palm
Hotsync software works fine operating on port COM2:.

For some reason, under Linux, Gnome Pilot can't "see" the Palm. I've
checked that the speed is correct at both ends (57,600), but only get as
far as the Initial Sync dialogue: "About to retrieve username and ID from
the pilot. Please put pilot in cradle (/dev/whatever) and press HotSync
button". When I do this, the Palm just times out.

I've tried all the devices that the initial sync offers: /dev/pilot and
/dev/ttyS[0-3], but with the same result on each.

I don't know if this is relevant, but Gnome Pilot also takes several
seconds to come up with the "About to retrieve..." message above.

Any ideas?

Syncing a Palm Vx with Gnome Pilot on RedHat 8.0

Post by Bria » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 11:51:05

Hi..

Try the pilot-xfer program first...those other protgrams seem to be
based upon it but seem also to act somewhat differently.

This just lists the programs on your palm.  Try all the various tty
possiblities.
As root....
/usr/bin/pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyS0 -l
 it could also be ttyS1 etc.
Once you've found it it's important that the permissions for the
device be such that users other than root can access the device.
Check these permissions and if they are not right do
as root...
chmod 666 /dev/whatever

Now you can exit root and try the gnome thingie.
Brian

Hope this helps.

Post by Tim Greening-Jackso » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 19:24:18

> Once you've found it it's important that the permissions for the
> device be such that users other than root can access the device.
> Check these permissions and if they are not right do
> as root...
> chmod 666 /dev/whatever

Thanks for your excellent advice. The chmod worked perfectly. It's obvious in
hindsight, really!

Post by Tim Greening-Jackso » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 20:15:31

> Thanks for your excellent advice. The chmod worked perfectly. It's obvious in
> hindsight, really!

Actually, I spoke (or wrote) too soon. Although the device is now
recognised (when I press the HotSync button it beeps as expected) it
claims to be syncing for about a second, then says it's cleaning up. No
data is transferred from the Palm to the Linux system.

I thought that this might be becuase I'd recently synced my Palm with my
Windows XP Outlook, so tried "touching" one of the records in the Palm to
see if that made any difference. It didn't.

I've tried various sync action settings, but to no avail. This also
happens when I use KPilot as well.

Syncing a Palm Vx with Gnome Pilot on RedHat 8.0

Post by Bria » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 07:57:46

Hi...You probably need to go into the gnome control
panel..Pilot...conduit settings.  I believe they are disabled by
default.

Don't be in too much of a hurry with that or you'll either wipe out
everything on your Palm or make a bunch of duplicate records.

I believe (check google for this) that under the edit of, say ToDo,
that there are two spin buttons...one for action (needs to be
syncronise) but the other one...one time action, I believe neeeds to
be "copy from palm" in the case where your stuff is on the palm and
the database is empty or vica versa.
After the first sync, be sure to change First time action to
"nothing".

Leave them all disabled except for the ToDo's until you figure out
their twisted logic which brings me to...

Why does it have to be so hard guys?  Why can't there just be a 3 step
process that one goes through to get this simple thing working.
1. Do this to find out what port the thing is on.
2. Do this to make the port accessible to more than Mr. Root.
3. Do this to open up the conduits but be careful or you;ll get dupes.

I love Linux but these things drive me nuts.
Rant over,
Brian

Post by Phil Stapl » Mon, 24 Feb 2003 08:38:47

> I have a dual-boot workstation which runs either Windows XP or RedHat 8.0.

> I have a Palm Vx organiser connected (via a cradle) to one of the serial
> ports on the workstation. When I have the machine booted to XP, the Palm
> Hotsync software works fine operating on port COM2:.

> For some reason, under Linux, Gnome Pilot can't "see" the Palm. I've
> checked that the speed is correct at both ends (57,600), but only get as
> far as the Initial Sync dialogue: "About to retrieve username and ID from
> the pilot. Please put pilot in cradle (/dev/whatever) and press HotSync
> button". When I do this, the Palm just times out.

> I've tried all the devices that the initial sync offers: /dev/pilot and
> /dev/ttyS[0-3], but with the same result on each.

> I don't know if this is relevant, but Gnome Pilot also takes several
> seconds to come up with the "About to retrieve..." message above.

> Any ideas?

Had a similar thing on my Palm Vx - Red Hat 8 setup..........I could
connect ok useing pilot-xfer on port ttyS0 but not with graphical
tools like jpilot.  After a bit of head scratching I noticed that the
port ttyS0 was spelt ttys0 on jpilot so changed it and it worked!!!!
Check it out and see if you're in the same boat.

Good luck.

Post by Wedg » Sat, 08 Mar 2003 03:01:46

> Hi..

> Try the pilot-xfer program first...those other protgrams seem to be
> based upon it but seem also to act somewhat differently.

> This just lists the programs on your palm.  Try all the various tty
> possiblities.
> As root....
> /usr/bin/pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyS0 -l
>  it could also be ttyS1 etc.
> Once you've found it it's important that the permissions for the
> device be such that users other than root can access the device.
> Check these permissions and if they are not right do
> as root...
> chmod 666 /dev/whatever

> Now you can exit root and try the gnome thingie.
> Brian

> Hope this helps.

> > I have a dual-boot workstation which runs either Windows XP or RedHat 8.0.

> > I have a Palm Vx organiser connected (via a cradle) to one of the serial
> > ports on the workstation. When I have the machine booted to XP, the Palm
> > Hotsync software works fine operating on port COM2:.

> > For some reason, under Linux, Gnome Pilot can't "see" the Palm. I've
> > checked that the speed is correct at both ends (57,600), but only get as
> > far as the Initial Sync dialogue: "About to retrieve username and ID from
> > the pilot. Please put pilot in cradle (/dev/whatever) and press HotSync
> > button". When I do this, the Palm just times out.

> > I've tried all the devices that the initial sync offers: /dev/pilot and
> > /dev/ttyS[0-3], but with the same result on each.

> > I don't know if this is relevant, but Gnome Pilot also takes several
> > seconds to come up with the "About to retrieve..." message above.

> > Any ideas?

Brian I did what you said above and it finds 50 programs.
But like the others in this thread I can not get any info to move from
the pilot to Ximian.
Anyone have an idea as to what I'm doing wrong.
I'm runnin RH 8.0..

V/R Wedge

1. Palm Pilot Vx to work under Ximain Gnome - have still not succeeded

As said in the subject, I have a Palm Pilot Vx and I'm trying to get it
to work with my Linux (newly installed Debian potato) and especially to
cooperate with sofware under the Ximian Gnome.

I've installed the gnome-pilot and pilot-link softwares with Red Carpet,
and I have gotten my machine and the pilot to speak with each other now.
I'm even running an gnome pilot applet succesfully and it recognises when
I press the sync-button.

But no interoperability with any software have I got to work.

First of all, is my installation buggy because in the GNOME control
center sections Pilot Conduits and Pilot Link show exactly the same
content?

When I execute the sync it seems to run properly, but where does any
files get saved? My pilot-directory is empty, so I can't get any software
to read the files got from my pilot..

I've read all howtos and helps, but I haven't found any that would be
specificly written to users of Ximian gnome or to the users of the gnome
control center..

I desperately need help with this!

-Otto

2. 2.2.0 and the growth of shipping delays.

3. Palm Pilot Vx to connet with Evolution under Ximian Gnome / Debian

4. sprintf in signal handler

5. Gnome-Pilot Fails to Communicate with Palm Pilot

6. idle process killing script

7. Syncing Palm Pilot on Linux advice

8. How to do checksum

9. GNOME/Palm Pilot

10. Old Palm Pilot and Redhat question

11. Palm sync issues with Evolution/Gnome?

12. Palm data to gnome-cal, gnome-card?

13. Interfacing w/ Palm Pilot