Kernel error: Unable to handle kernel paging request

Kernel error: Unable to handle kernel paging request

Post by Marcus Needha » Mon, 20 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I have a new SuperMicro CMS Pentium board with 32MB RAM and
256K sync burst cache, plus a WD 1.6 EIDE drive on the
motherboard's controller.

Using a 1.2.11 kernel that I have used without incident on
several other machines I get every so often (and way too often
for confort) kernel errors of the kind:

Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address
c31c0434

I get it in a variety of processes (tar, diald, even bash
sometimes) and upgrading to 1.2.13 did not make it go away.

Anyone have any knowledge of this problem?

TIA

Marcus

Kernel error: Unable to handle kernel paging request

Post by Mike McCamma » Mon, 20 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I have a new SuperMicro CMS Pentium board with 32MB RAM and
>256K sync burst cache, plus a WD 1.6 EIDE drive on the
>motherboard's controller.

>Using a 1.2.11 kernel that I have used without incident on
>several other machines I get every so often (and way too often
>for confort) kernel errors of the kind:

>Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address
>c31c0434

You can probably disable your cache and it will go away.  However,
so does your cache  :{

I had the same problems on my 486/66.  I am not sure what causes it.
I thought it was memory related, but every memory diag program I run
says everything is OK.

I also got a lot of errors that were related to swapping etc...

--

 /---------------------------------------\   My opinions belong to me,
| Visit us at http://www.macshack.com     |  myself and I, not my employer,
 \......................................./   the government or my wife...:)

Post by Andre Fach » Tue, 21 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address
: c31c0434

: I get it in a variety of processes (tar, diald, even bash
: sometimes) and upgrading to 1.2.13 did not make it go away.

This behaviour seems to indicate a hardware (RAM?) error/malfunction...
We have a pentium that runs mostly fine with Win95 - we just cannot
decide wether it is the software or the hardware that crashes.. :-)
But NeXTStep and Linux both quite often just crash with similar
errors. We assume that the RAM is broken or not fast enough, although
this thing is not yet tracked down.

May be you should try some memory test programs on your system.

hope it helps
Andre

--

-------------------------------------| same God who has endowed us with sense,
Distribution of this message via     | reason, and intellect has intended us to

Post by Marcus Needha » Sun, 03 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>I have a new SuperMicro CMS Pentium board with 32MB RAM and
>256K sync burst cache, plus a WD 1.6 EIDE drive on the
>motherboard's controller.

>Using a 1.2.11 kernel that I have used without incident on
>several other machines I get every so often (and way too often
>for confort) kernel errors of the kind:

>Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address
>c31c0434

>I get it in a variety of processes (tar, diald, even bash
>sometimes) and upgrading to 1.2.13 did not make it go away.

>Anyone have any knowledge of this problem?

Solution found.  I did get a solution from SuperMicro.  They recommended that I replace the 70ns SIMMs
with 60ns ones, and fortunately I had gotten the board and SIMMs from the same dealer and he was happy to
oblige with a swap.  And they WORK!  The manual clearly says that 60 or 70s may be used but the tech rep
said that with UNIX or NT you should avoid 70s. I recommended he get the manual updated to clarify that
point.

\\\\  Vice-President, The River Internet Access Co (http://www.theriver.com/)
////