booting with a raid mount (not /)

Post by te.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am having fun trying to get a self-compiled kernel to work with my
raid array.  I have a raid5 array set as md0 mounted as /usr/local.
This setup worked great from the Redhat 6.2 install.  I have been
trying to compile my own kernel, which I have been successfully doing
for three years now, but for some reason with Redhat 6.2 I can't get
the raid array recognized after I compile the kernel.  Even using the
kernel source that comes with Redhat and making no changes to the
default compile settings, I get the following errors at boot time:

First, the scsi devices aren't recognized and kudzo fires off.  I have
all of the right SCSI features enabled in the kernel, so this should be
no problem.
Second, I get an error when /dev/md0 is mounted.  It's the "wrong
filesystem/too many mount points" error.

Using kernels directly from kernel.org have the same problem.  Does
anyone know if there is something special about RedHat's precompiled
kernels?

John

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

booting with a raid mount (not /)

Post by Ian Danb » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Check to see if the RAID patch is installed. It can be got from
http://people.redhat.com/mingo/raid-patches/
I was having similar problems with boot on raid after upgrading a
Mandrake distro to 2.2.16. I discovered that MDK had added a RAID patch
to the kernel which has not been integrated into the kernel tree.

> I am having fun trying to get a self-compiled kernel to work with my
> raid array.  I have a raid5 array set as md0 mounted as /usr/local.
> This setup worked great from the Redhat 6.2 install.  I have been
> trying to compile my own kernel, which I have been successfully doing
> for three years now, but for some reason with Redhat 6.2 I can't get
> the raid array recognized after I compile the kernel.  Even using the
> kernel source that comes with Redhat and making no changes to the
> default compile settings, I get the following errors at boot time:

> First, the scsi devices aren't recognized and kudzo fires off.  I have
> all of the right SCSI features enabled in the kernel, so this should be
> no problem.
> Second, I get an error when /dev/md0 is mounted.  It's the "wrong
> filesystem/too many mount points" error.

> Using kernels directly from kernel.org have the same problem.  Does
> anyone know if there is something special about RedHat's precompiled
> kernels?

> John

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. raid device not mounting at boot

Hi Unix Folk..!

I have an interesting situation.  I administer an ES40 running Tru64
5.1a with an Indy2400 raid array attached via SCSI.  The array is
configured with 2 slices, each one is a 1 Terabyte AdvFS filesystem.
The system and the raid array were stable.  The slices mounted at boot
properly, and everything seemed groovy.

I temporarily moved the raid array to a different machine (DS20e) for
a few weeks while I rebuilt the ES40.  Again, no problem, the DS20e
mounted the raid array just fine.  When I moved the raid array back to
the rebuilt ES40, it now  fails to mount during boot.  I get an error
on the console telling me that the device "is an invalid device or
cannot be opened."  I can mount both devices manually, however.
Everything looks right in /etc/fstab and I can mount them with "#
mount -a".  It just pukes on boot.

I have changed the device names with "# dfsmgr -m dsk46 dsk47", and
fixed the /etc/fdmns with "# advscan -r dsk47", but that didn't solve
the problem.

Any ideas..?

Many thanks in advance..

-flappy

2. A message to all

3. NFS mounts in Red Hat 8.0 not mounted at boot

4. Calling COBOL from C/C++

5. Debian boots but /boot is not mounted. Why?

6. where is the `checker' library?

7. Mounting a RAID-0 partition on an IDE-SCSI/RAID Promise Lite controller

8. setuid() semantics

9. NFS mount won't mount at boot, but mount -a works fine.

10. Software Raid and booting from Raid Device

11. ICP-Vortex RAID driver not on boot disk?

12. To RAID or not to RAID?

13. Software RAID 1 - disks mirror but the secondary disk does not boot.