slackware 3.5 on dos/win95 partition

Post by TecMaste » Tue, 01 Sep 1998 04:00:00

i currently have slackware 3.5 installed on a 540Meg drive, and windows
95 on a 3.2 Gig drive - 3.2 Gig has 2 partitions, 1- 2 gig partition,
and 1-1 Gig partition, nothing on the second partition(hoping to use it
for linux)...Use LILO to boot either operating system...
i have run out of space on my linux drive and decided I want to
reinstall slackware on my 3.2 Gig drive, 2nd partition, i have all the
linux source files on the first partition of the 3.2 gig drive...  i
need to repartition the 1 gig partition with linux? will i have to
repartition my whole drive, and possibly reinstall windows?  can I just
start installing linux on the 1 gig part.?
please help....

Thanks in advance...

Post by Michael J Van Der Gul » Tue, 01 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>i currently have slackware 3.5 installed on a 540Meg drive, and windows
>95 on a 3.2 Gig drive - 3.2 Gig has 2 partitions, 1- 2 gig partition,
>and 1-1 Gig partition, nothing on the second partition(hoping to use it
>for linux)...Use LILO to boot either operating system...
>i have run out of space on my linux drive and decided I want to
>reinstall slackware on my 3.2 Gig drive, 2nd partition, i have all the
>linux source files on the first partition of the 3.2 gig drive...  i
>need to repartition the 1 gig partition with linux? will i have to
>repartition my whole drive, and possibly reinstall windows?  can I just
>start installing linux on the 1 gig part.?
>please help....

hmm..
hda1 510 meg, root partition
hda2 ~30 meg swap
hdb1 2gigs, some bloated buggy OS
hdb2 1gig, free

Quote:

>Thanks in advance...

You're welcome.

I am surprised that you managed to fill up a 540 meg partition with
slackware Linux. In my experiance, a standard install uses about 350
meg, and extra's rarely use more than 100 meg (if you don't waste much
space). I suggest having a look at what you have installed before
repartitioning your system, and have a look at the typical disk-space
hogs: /var, /usr/src, /usr/local and the home dirs. Also, see if there
are packages you don't need. I don't think (correct me here) that
slackware allows you to uninstall packages (if you could call them
packages).

If I were in your shoes, I would put /usr on the free partition. I
doubt that a whole gig is needed, and I would split this partition
into two: a 650 meg partition (if you are a POWER user) and a 350 meg
partition (otherwise wasted space). I would mount /usr on the 650 meg
partition.

You will need to use fdisk, mkfs.ext2 and mount to do this:

$ fdisk (interactive.. change the id to 83 - linux native)
.
.
.
$ mkfs.ext2 -cv /dev/hdb2
$ mount /dev/hdb2 /mnt -t ext2
$ cp -a /usr /mnt
.. (churn..) ..
$ emacs /etc/fstab (interactive - add a /usr entry)
$ umount /mnt
$ mount /usr

Then try everything out. If it works,

$ umount /usr
$ rm -rf /usr       (I take no responsibility for any actions...;)
$ mount /usr
$ df                (just to awe at the free space)

Then re-boot just to make sure that /usr actually works ok. (you don't
have to reboot if you don't want to)

slackware 3.5 on dos/win95 partition

Post by tecmaste » Tue, 01 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> >i currently have slackware 3.5 installed on a 540Meg drive, and windows
> >95 on a 3.2 Gig drive - 3.2 Gig has 2 partitions, 1- 2 gig partition,
> >and 1-1 Gig partition, nothing on the second partition(hoping to use it
> >for linux)...Use LILO to boot either operating system...
> >i have run out of space on my linux drive and decided I want to
> >reinstall slackware on my 3.2 Gig drive, 2nd partition, i have all the
> >linux source files on the first partition of the 3.2 gig drive...  i
> >need to repartition the 1 gig partition with linux? will i have to
> >repartition my whole drive, and possibly reinstall windows?  can I just
> >start installing linux on the 1 gig part.?
> >please help....
> hmm..
> hda1 510 meg, root partition
> hda2 ~30 meg swap
> hdb1 2gigs, some bloated buggy OS
> hdb2 1gig, free

> >Thanks in advance...
> You're welcome.

> I am surprised that you managed to fill up a 540 meg partition with
> slackware Linux. In my experiance, a standard install uses about 350
> meg, and extra's rarely use more than 100 meg (if you don't waste much
> space). I suggest having a look at what you have installed before
> repartitioning your system, and have a look at the typical disk-space
> hogs: /var, /usr/src, /usr/local and the home dirs. Also, see if there
> are packages you don't need. I don't think (correct me here) that
> slackware allows you to uninstall packages (if you could call them
> packages).

> If I were in your shoes, I would put /usr on the free partition. I
> doubt that a whole gig is needed, and I would split this partition
> into two: a 650 meg partition (if you are a POWER user) and a 350 meg
> partition (otherwise wasted space). I would mount /usr on the 650 meg
> partition.

> You will need to use fdisk, mkfs.ext2 and mount to do this:

> $ fdisk (interactive.. change the id to 83 - linux native)
> .
> .
> .
> $ mkfs.ext2 -cv /dev/hdb2
> $ mount /dev/hdb2 /mnt -t ext2
> $ cp -a /usr /mnt
> .. (churn..) ..
> $ emacs /etc/fstab (interactive - add a /usr entry)
> $ umount /mnt
> $ mount /usr

> Then try everything out. If it works,

> $ umount /usr
> $ rm -rf /usr       (I take no responsibility for any actions...;)
> $ mount /usr
> $ df                (just to awe at the free space)

> Then re-boot just to make sure that /usr actually works ok. (you don't
> have to reboot if you don't want to)

so can I just mount another partition(other drive) as /usr to get it off
the 540 meg drive? that way ill have more space on my drive...

here's what I was going to do in the first place (before the 1 gig
partition idea)...  I had another 350 meg hard drive, i was just going
to add this drive to linux for a little more space(which would probably
be plenty) I'm not exactly out of space yet, but I have about 65 meg
open and linux seems to be running pretty slow in xwindows
(netscape...), i figured it was trying to swap or something, so i needed
a little more space...i have 32 meg of DRAM, but I was also thing maybe
i should add like 32 or 64 meg swap partition...should i?

Well anyway, when trying to set up the 350 Meg drive, i used linux fdisk
and deleted the FAT partition...i tried just to do "a"(add) and add
another partition, but it said something like, partition has no disk
type, or Drive has one disk type, or something to that effect (honestly
dont remember the exact error...)

how can I add the Linux native partition" i don't know what the deal is,
i have use this fdisk before(obviously to add the first linux native
partition, it worked though....i don't understand this.

ok, thanks for the help you gave me...i haven't started on the cp /usr
/mnt thing yet, i want to further explore my options, or just figure out
EXACTLY what to do(partitioning for example)...

thanks again...

Post by Christopher Se » Tue, 01 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> >i currently have slackware 3.5 installed on a 540Meg drive, and windows
> >95 on a 3.2 Gig drive - 3.2 Gig has 2 partitions, 1- 2 gig partition,
> >and 1-1 Gig partition, nothing on the second partition(hoping to use it
> >for linux)...Use LILO to boot either operating system...
> >i have run out of space on my linux drive and decided I want to
> >reinstall slackware on my 3.2 Gig drive, 2nd partition, i have all the
> >linux source files on the first partition of the 3.2 gig drive...  i
> >need to repartition the 1 gig partition with linux? will i have to
> >repartition my whole drive, and possibly reinstall windows?  can I just
> >start installing linux on the 1 gig part.?
> >please help....
> hmm..
> hda1 510 meg, root partition
> hda2 ~30 meg swap
> hdb1 2gigs, some bloated buggy OS
> hdb2 1gig, free

> >Thanks in advance...
> You're welcome.

> I am surprised that you managed to fill up a 540 meg partition with
> slackware Linux. In my experiance, a standard install uses about 350
> meg, and extra's rarely use more than 100 meg (if you don't waste much
> space). I suggest having a look at what you have installed before
> repartitioning your system, and have a look at the typical disk-space
> hogs: /var, /usr/src, /usr/local and the home dirs. Also, see if there
> are packages you don't need. I don't think (correct me here) that
> slackware allows you to uninstall packages (if you could call them
> packages).

newer versions (slackware 3.5) have a packagetool that will remove things.

Quote:

> If I were in your shoes, I would put /usr on the free partition. I
> doubt that a whole gig is needed, and I would split this partition
> into two: a 650 meg partition (if you are a POWER user) and a 350 meg
> partition (otherwise wasted space). I would mount /usr on the 650 meg
> partition.

> You will need to use fdisk, mkfs.ext2 and mount to do this:

> $ fdisk (interactive.. change the id to 83 - linux native)
> .
> .
> .
> $ mkfs.ext2 -cv /dev/hdb2
> $ mount /dev/hdb2 /mnt -t ext2
> $ cp -a /usr /mnt
> .. (churn..) ..
> $ emacs /etc/fstab (interactive - add a /usr entry)
> $ umount /mnt
> $ mount /usr

> Then try everything out. If it works,

> $ umount /usr
> $ rm -rf /usr       (I take no responsibility for any actions...;)
> $ mount /usr
> $ df                (just to awe at the free space)

> Then re-boot just to make sure that /usr actually works ok. (you don't
> have to reboot if you don't want to)

1. slackware 3.5 on dos/win95 partition

i currently have slackware 3.5 installed on a 540Meg drive, and windows
95 on a 3.2 Gig drive - 3.2 Gig has 2 partitions, 1- 2 gig partition,
and 1-1 Gig partition, nothing on the second partition(hoping to use it
for linux)...Use LILO to boot either operating system...
i have run out of space on my linux drive and decided I want to
reinstall slackware on my 3.2 Gig drive, 2nd partition, i have all the
linux source files on the first partition of the 3.2 gig drive...  i
need to repartition the 1 gig partition with linux? will i have to
repartition my whole drive, and possibly reinstall windows?  can I just
start installing linux on the 1 gig part.?
please help....

Thanks in advance...

2. TCP/IP and netsvc.conf

3. slackware 3.5 install - install from win95/dos hard drive?

4. Spider Index Help !! Urgent !!

5. Slackware 3.5 Install dropped DOS drive

6. Seyon / kermit?

7. Mount FAT partition of Win95/NT 3.5 with long file name

8. SunOS 5.4 fails to ufsrestore from one volume on two tapes

9. slackware 3.5 - another partition question

10. Problems when adding partitions to install Linux Slackware 3.5

11. slackware 3.5 + partitions

12. slackware 3.5 - partition/HD problem...

13. WANTED : Utility to copy file from Dos Partition (Win95) to Linux Partition