L 01 01 01 01 01

Post by L A Atkin » Fri, 10 Aug 2001 23:13:50

I have just installed Slackware 8.0 and everytime i boot i get the above
response.

I have /dev/hda as a windoze partition
/dev/hdd is my linux disk but i just get the above. Lilo is installed to the
root of hdd and i have tried the mbr but no luck.

Does anyone have any information as to how to resolve this ? or even a quick
fix answer?

Many Thanks

Lee

L 01 01 01 01 01

Post by Lew Pitch » Fri, 10 Aug 2001 23:30:28

Quote:>I have just installed Slackware 8.0 and everytime i boot i get the above
>response.

>I have /dev/hda as a windoze partition
>/dev/hdd is my linux disk but i just get the above. Lilo is installed to the
>root of hdd and i have tried the mbr but no luck.

>Does anyone have any information as to how to resolve this ? or even a quick
>fix answer?

Well, IIRC, the README for lilo says that "L 01 ..." is a failure by the first
stage boot loader to locate the second stage boot loader (the "L" part), and
that it's because the first stage boot loader cant read the disk (the "01 ..."
part).

Likely, you either don't have a bootable system to begin with, or your vmlinuz
file is beyond the 1024 cyl limit certain versions of LILO have. You may have to
boot from the boot/root install set, and move things around a bit.

Lew Pitcher
IT Consultant, Development Services
Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group

L 01 01 01 01 01

Post by Jock » Sat, 11 Aug 2001 08:30:35

>>I have just installed Slackware 8.0 and everytime i boot i get the above
>>response.

>>I have /dev/hda as a windoze partition
>>/dev/hdd is my linux disk but i just get the above. Lilo is installed to the
>>root of hdd and i have tried the mbr but no luck.

>>Does anyone have any information as to how to resolve this ? or even a quick
>>fix answer?

> Well, IIRC, the README for lilo says that "L 01 ..." is a failure by the first
> stage boot loader to locate the second stage boot loader (the "L" part), and
> that it's because the first stage boot loader cant read the disk (the "01 ..."
> part).

> Likely, you either don't have a bootable system to begin with, or your vmlinuz
> file is beyond the 1024 cyl limit certain versions of LILO have. You may have to
> boot from the boot/root install set, and move things around a bit.

Well i agree.

But there are a way to fix this. There may be versions of lilo that does
not work with this.

You may try to boot from a boot-disk(you did make one?) like this:
When the boot-disk prompt comes up write:
linux root=/dev/hdd

When the system has booted up you login as root and change the line
"normal" to "lba32" in /etc/lilo.conf and then run:

lilo
(and then)
reboot

Remove the boot disk, and lilo shoud work.