RH4.1 install from SCSI HPFS?

Post by Abe Waranowit » Sun, 09 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Hello!

Anyone know how I could get RH4.1 do recognize
an OS/2 partition from the install/supp disks?
It only sees my DOS/Linux partitions for the
source...

Thanks!

BTW, how would I install from a DOS partition
with all those long file names...

-Abe

RH4.1 install from SCSI HPFS?

Post by Jurgen Exne » Sun, 09 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Anyone know how I could get RH4.1 do recognize
> an OS/2 partition from the install/supp disks?
> It only sees my DOS/Linux partitions for the
> source...

Most probably you are out of luck.
AFAIK HPFS is not supported by any of the boot kernels of the standard
distributions.
Get a good friend to compile a custom bootstrap kernel with HPFS support.

Quote:> BTW, how would I install from a DOS partition
> with all those long file names...

1. You are confusing the partition type and the file system type.
A DOS partition (partition ID 6) can contain various file systems like
FAT12, FAT16 and VFAT. Only FAT12 and FAT16 are restricted to 8.3 notation.

2. All packages for Slackware are in the 8.3 format and can be installed
even from a FAT12 or FAT16 file system

jue

--
The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views
and do not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation

1. installing RH4.0 on ide/scsi system ?

For what it's worth, the system is mixed; CD is IDE/ATAPI, and an
adaptec 2940uw controls a 2GB seagate SCSI with 1GB waiting for linux,
the other gig is lost to win95.  The RH4.0 CDROM distribution is dated
12/96 from InfoMagic.  (Incidentally, both RH and Slackware are giving
me trouble; _this_ post concerns RH only.)  I'm having what seems a
common problem - RH installation/boot fails on Autoprobe (go figure) but
is also unable to detect the controller when I shoot it specific io and
irq parameters (i.e. aha2940=0xblah,blah...I'm supposing I've got this
right).

I've proably left out some important detail(s) (oops) so let me know
what additional info I can provide.  I've read a lot of documentation
and news trying to solve this so I'll appreciate any help.

Many thanks,    Robb

--
Robert Diehl
Illinois Natural History Survey

2. PATCH: __NO_VERSION__ and remove a bogomacro from drm

3. NTFS/HPFS install bug not fixed yet...updated install disks still don't work:-(

4. xterm question

5. HPFS: hpfs_read_super: Not HPFS, kernel panic

6. Bluetooth and Linux (Device list) [CROSSPOST]

7. RH4.0 -> RH4.1

8. I've got a BIG PROBLEM

9. PROGRESS REPORT: Re: Minor probs. after upgrade RH4.1 -> RH4.2

10. Minor probs. after upgrade RH4.1 -> RH4.2

11. Mysterious Reboot When upgrading RH4.0 to RH4.1

12. Help to mount a SCSI HPFS partition!!

13. ncr 53c810 scsi hpfs error.