modem PnP in RH 4.2

Post by Jan Urbane » Tue, 27 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hallo,
I am new in Linux world and have problem with setup my modem PnP (Supra
Express 33.6i PnP). Because it is internal modem I can't find Com port,
I don't know how.
I have RH 4.2, kernel 2.0.30.
Is solution, how to setup this modem for dial-up?
Thanks,
Jan Urbanek

modem PnP in RH 4.2

Post by P.J. Hint » Wed, 28 Jan 1998 04:00:00

|> I am new in Linux world and have problem with setup my modem PnP (Supra
|> Express 33.6i PnP). Because it is internal modem I can't find Com port,
|> I don't know how.

Check the machine specifications that came with your machine.  If the
modem was built-in, then the spec may tell what port the modem is
installed on.  If you can boot into Windows 95, you can also pull up
this information from the Windows 95 System Control Panel's Device
Manager.

|> I have RH 4.2, kernel 2.0.30.
|> Is solution, how to setup this modem for dial-up?

You may want to consider educating yourself on your hardware and
configuration basics first.  Check out the following docs:

The Serial HOWTO (not available from Sunsite archives as it says, latest
post to comp.os.linux.answers as message ID:

Check Alta Vista's Usenet search or Deja News for a copy if it isn't on your
NNTP server.

The PPP HOWTO, which has modem information as well:

http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/PPP-HOWTO.html

Really low level stuff can be found here:

ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/Serial-Programming-HOWTO

Finally, since you are cursed with a plug-and-play device, you may
need to get ISAPNPTOOLS.  Check out the following website for the
official scoop:

http://www.roestock.demon.co.uk/isapnptools/index.html

I got the above URL from redhad.com's website.

Be sure to use the resources that are available to you before posting
a blanket question like this to a newsgroup.

--
P.J. Hinton

Wolfram Research, Inc.                  http://www.wolfram.com/~paulh/