partition & swap requirements for personal CGI & web development

partition & swap requirements for personal CGI & web development

Post by robe » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 06:51:26

Hello

I want to convert my win 98 system to dual boot linux on a
new separate partition (to be created with Partion Magic)

I want to use RH 6.0 to teach myself CGI by creating
and testing a small e-commerce shopping cart web site.  This will
require a small database as well as an apache server.  It is
possible I might download the java kit in the future and try
some java development.

  NOTE: ** This server will never go live.  It only needs
  to be able to allow me to create a small online business
  site and testing the the site interactively locally on the
  same system from a web browser

Anybody know what a good minimum hard disk size recommendation
would be for this setup and RH 6? Again, basically apache,
CGI, netscape and PPP so I can dial up need be.

Also, I have 128 mb ram.  I've read a myriad of answers on setting
the swap partition.  Any recommendations.  I think 128MB is pretty
adequate for what I want to do and would opt for a smaller swap?

Thanks in advance

partition & swap requirements for personal CGI & web development

Post by David Efflan » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 13:04:25

Quote:

> I want to use RH 6.0 to teach myself CGI by creating
> and testing a small e-commerce shopping cart web site.  This will
> require a small database as well as an apache server.  It is
> possible I might download the java kit in the future and try
> some java development.

> Anybody know what a good minimum hard disk size recommendation
> would be for this setup and RH 6? Again, basically apache,
> CGI, netscape and PPP so I can dial up need be.

You probably want at least 2 G, more if you have it.  I usually make a
separate 256 MB /var where logs and spools are kept.  You will need a
/boot partition (~16 MB) under cyl 1024 unless you get a newer LILO and
your BIOS supports booting past that.  And also do all errata updates.

Quote:> Also, I have 128 mb ram.  I've read a myriad of answers on setting
> the swap partition.  Any recommendations.  I think 128MB is pretty
> adequate for what I want to do and would opt for a smaller swap?

A single user system with 128 MB doesn't really need swap.  I currently
have Netscape, Konqueror and 3 xterms up:

Quote:> free

             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:        126792     123440       3352          0       6616      64544
-/+ buffers/cache:      52280      74512
Swap:       264560          0     264560

Although it looks like I am using alot of RAM, a majority of it is cached
data that could be freed up if needed.

--
David Efflandt  (Reply-To is valid)  http://www.de-srv.com/

partition & swap requirements for personal CGI & web development

Post by robe » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 04:23:14

Quote:> You probably want at least 2 G, more if you have it.

Do I really need 2 G???  That seems high.  I just want a base
linux system.  How much space does a base system require with:
- an apache server and cgi support
- x windows ???

Quote:>I usually make a
> separate 256 MB /var where logs and spools are kept.

Again this seems outrageously high.  I'm a single user
learning on a home machine.  I rarely look at the logs
and if something was to go wrong, I wouldn't need to
inspect probably more than a day or two..

Quote:>You will need a
> /boot partition (~16 MB) under cyl 1024 unless you get a newer LILO and
> your BIOS supports booting past that.  And also do all errata updates.

this won't be a problem for me.  In fact, I intend to install
everything but the swap on one partition.

Post by David Efflan » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 12:23:30

Quote:>> You probably want at least 2 G, more if you have it.

> Do I really need 2 G???  That seems high.  I just want a base
> linux system.  How much space does a base system require with:
> - an apache server and cgi support
> - x windows ???

Well my SuSE 7.1 Personal box says:

        200 MB to over 3 GB (for full installation).  1 GB or more
        highly recommended.

200 MB would be a very basic installation with no X, no manpages or docs,
etc.  I think the default installation was 1.2 GB.  I felt too confined
using a 1.7 GB partition on my laptop.  Although, admittedly many things I
never use could be removed.  But it is hard to tell what you could leave
out in a custom install until you are familiar with it.

--
David Efflandt  (Reply-To is valid)  http://www.de-srv.com/